Sony STR-DB930 A/V Receivers

STR-DB930

AV Reciever

Alter Tan   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 26, 2011]

The great STR-DB930 Silver color. Wow! Ive listened to my friends Home Theater set-ups and nothing can compare the performance of this Sony model. Its quite an old one now but Ive transfered from one house to another, with all the shakes and turns but best thing is, it's durable. Btw, ive matched it it with Sony speakers black color USA made...Value for money.

Julian   Audio Enthusiast [May 30, 2011]

I have owned the DB930 for over 10 years now. I bought it in 2000 when I got married and it has been a solid performer. It has survived 3 house moves without a scratch. The components are high quality and the sound that it produces is great. I know some people have complained about a buzzing noise but I have never heard it. I use this in my home theater room and have it connected to a 54 Plasma with JBL speakers. Sounds awesome, I have never had the dial turned up past 4. One thing I can say though is make sure all the connections are digital, it makes a difference. I use the digital coax as well as the digital fiber connections to hook everything up and it is a truer sound.

andrea   AudioPhile [Jun 16, 2009]

very good product!!!!!

Pyro_maniac   Audio Enthusiast [May 26, 2004]
Strength:

Very addaptable copes well with all situations. nice and powerfull. Good EQ setting

Poor channel seperation. Beefy remote needs redesigning

Very impressed! I bought this amp on EBay and i was very impressed with the value for money. I havn't been able to really crank it without fear of blowing my speakers. It really kicks! Theres a good choice of DSP modes for creating cinema effects from a stereo output. I was impressed with the connectivity options, enabling this amp to be encorporated into part of a separates system. Although this an AV amp i have it in my bedroom connected to my PC for predominantly stereo music and MP3s i was well impressed with the Tuner the RDS picks about 22 radio stations, i only managed 15 with my cambridge audio tuner! Iv also tried it on a DTS signal and it sounds amazing! very good with Quake too! You could say im not a typical User of this AV amp but i wanted the power and the benifits of surround + a sub output all of which are good. So far i havn't found a purpose this amp can't handle. The only slight complaints are the remote isn't exactly small or intuitve but with a quick read of the manual all falls in to place. If only the buttons you acctually use where were you need them? Other slight gripe is a little hissing when its turned high! and there is also poor channel separtion if its turned up loud i can hear noise from other imputs. Nice that it has easily accessible volume controls for the individual speakers and the sub levels. It also features variable bass mid and treble level and frequency adjustments. A good all rounder and an absolute bargain at £130

Similar Products Used: Marantz sr 5300 Pioneer ??? THX
Porto   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 29, 2003]
Strength:

- POWER! POWER! and more POWER! - clear sound, even with high(er) volumes - lots of settings en fine tuning options - great looks and solid strong housing - lots of connections on the rear - gold plated connections - good price/quality

- who needs dolby prologic II, DD-ES, DTS-ES? - heavy in weight! (or is that an advantage?) ;) - user-UNfriendly interface (well, so is Windows!) - weird RC, using it only for master volume setting - every source can be renamed, expect the Tuner! - only 1 coax digital input - TOO bright picture when using the S-video input capabilities... better use direct-to-TV connection instead!

I can't think of any annoying things on this unit nor do I hear any humming or hissing using the sub pre-outs. I'm using both sub-preouts to a Rotel RE-1010 equalizer which is used for hi-frequency cut-off to an Akai AM-69 amplifier (2x 150W) to change the bass level, to two Visaton 12" subwoofers (200W rms). The bass goes VERY deep and the bass sound is clear of any unwanted signal. I bought mine in 1999 but has only recently (2 months ago) found out that AC-3 and DTS are only selectable when connecting the dvd player to a DIGITAL connector, coaxial or optical. Stupid of me, yes, tells you also I don't like reading manuals so I guess I'm using only 1/4th of it's capabilities! All those great movies I saw with only Dolby Prologic! What a shame!! ;) When I discovered the DD/DTS not only a bright blue LED has going active (didn't know that was a light at all!) but a new world has gone open and I heard what a dynamic in sound I've missed in those times... now I watch more movies than I did in the last years, only because my rear speakers finally sound perfect and not 'far-away' when using dolby prologic. The center speaker stays very clear and clean, so do the front speakers! It is great that you can set the right frequencies per speaker set (front, rear, subwoofer, center) to fine tune the whole. The -10 to +10 boost per speaker set is also a great PLUS! Radio reception is good. In the 4 years I have this unit I never experienced faulty led's, display, connection or spontaneous shutdown due to hot environment or overheating. No way I'm going to sell this unit for another thing. This unit is going to be old in my room! :)

Tiny Turtle   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 13, 2003]
Strength:

• Build quality • Remote • Assignable inputs • Pre-amp outs • Sound quality (for this amount of money it's fabulous!) • No OSD (no need to tie up a TV input with the receiver) • Largest blue "Multichannel" light ever :-)

• No digital in for CD • Would like to be able to rename "TUNER" into "Tuner" • Optical MD out only works if the in-sigal is digital • Remote only "programmable", – not true "learning" • No DPLII (ok, it wasn't around in '99, but still a minus today) • Like all non-DPLII Sonys it can't play stereo music in four speakers. • Manual is a bit short on setup info

I managed to find a brand new DB930 (unopened box!) around x-mas 2002 on German eBay and paid the equiv. of $300 for it. The unit has worked great since then with no hum or hiss. Also, there's lots of oompf in this unit, way more than the later DB940, 1070 and 1080! (though the specifications sometimes suggest otherwise) To me the 930 looks stylish and goes along well with the rest of my Sony gear. It becomes quite hot on top, but so do lots of other A/V-receivers. I actually like the LJ302 remote – it can download the disc listing from my 200 disc changer for easy selection. I've exchanged it for a RM-LJ304 (from the STR-DB940) which is almost identical, save for a way larger LCD and that it can learn IR codes, not just use pre-programmed codes.

Similar Products Used: Sony TA-VE800G
M B   AudioPhile [Oct 08, 2002]
Strength:

Presence, Soundstage, Clarity, Great DSP, Build Quality.

Remote, Inputs.

Wow, after reading those last couple reviews I feel lucky.... I drive speakers that are known to be hard to drive (dahlquist dq-10s) and the reciever gets a bit warmer then I would prefer but has reliably performed since the day I bought it. As for build quality, sound quality and features I couldn't be more impressed... (and switching from a adcom/haflerdh500 system driving the same speakers.....that says alot!) Although the remote is a pain I found the rm-av3000 (great touchscreen universal) to be a good cure for that.

Similar Products Used: adcom, hafler, atheta, parasound, denon, carver, yamaha, mcintosh
Brian   Casual Listener [Aug 30, 2002]
Strength:

features

reliability, noise

Three service within three years is not good for this unit but I still enjoy it. Sony service team did a fairly good job of serviving this unit. I have one annoying problem with this unit. Hum and hiss from the subwoofer output. Try this: connect the subwoofer preout to a plain amplifier(not integrated amplifier) and connect a passive woofer(a floor standing speaker will do the job) to the plain amplifier output. Do you year anything? My unit produce hums and hisses. The hum stop if I disable the front panel display. This is annoying during quiet period between movie scenes, especially with my twin 12in woofers. Does anybody have this same problem? Thanks

Similar Products Used: Denon AVR2802, Yamaha RXV1000
Brian   Casual Listener [Jul 05, 2002]
Strength:

Price and features

Reliability, noise, slow remote controller

This is my second review of this unit. This unit is not a "Bang for Your Buck" that I thought it was. It does go easy on the "buck" but it has a tendency to go "Bang" after a few months, especially during the hot summer season. The volume control indicator (LED) failed twice but Sony repair service was good. Another worry I have on this unit is that the decoder board, the one with lots of surface mount devices(SMD), has a tendency to momentarily shuts down during hot season or long use. The three voltage regulators on this board get extremely hot. It will BBQ your finger if you touch it. Why did Sony decided to put a little pathetic heatsink on these devices. Some three terminal regulators will turn itself OFF if it gets too hot or the output load is too great. Here's something for everybody to try. The annoying hum at the subwoofer output that I discovered before is actually coming from the AC power supply driving the flourescent display on the front panel. To here the hum, connect the subwoofer output to a trusty decent plain amplifier, not a subwoofer amplifier or another receiver and stay away from those mini-system, and connect an average size speaker, floor standing type would be good, to the plain amplifier and listen for the hum and hisses. I use a pair of 12" speakers and the hum was unbearable. Other brand as listed below that I tried did not suffer this problem. If I disable the unit's front panel display (dimmed it completely) the hum completely disappeared but the hiss remain. Most stereo equipment will have some noise but this one is excessive. Disconnecting the supply to the display will also stop the hum but don't do this for safety reasons and warranty issue. If anybody know any solution to this hum/hiss problem, let me know. Thanks Beside these minor problems, the price and features at the time was still a value for money given the good customer service I had at the repair center, not the Sony helpline I rang for answer. You will need to talk to a technical repair person for honest answer. It seams that heat is the hidden culprit behind the problems associated this this particular model. If this bothers you, go to a different brand, not model. Thanks

Similar Products Used: Yamaha RXV1000, Pioneer VXD9??, Denon AVR2801, Harman Kardon AVR80(I borrowed these from friends)
rkpindia   Audio Enthusiast [May 27, 2002]
Strength:

For the money this AV reciver was the best bang for the buck in its day

none

Excellent unit with good build qaulity, good stereo + surround, inputs galore, excellent price