Sherwood Newcastle R125RDS A/V Receivers

R125RDS

(See reviews)

Guy   an Audio Enthusiast [Jun 24, 1998]

For the money this is unbeatable for AV performance. BUT - for straight stereo listening the sound is awful. Harsh and unforgiving, it hurt my ears! Think carefully before buying as I'd recommend hooking a processor up to an existing integrated amp - I've now sold my R-125 and done this.

Martin   an Audio Enthusiast [Nov 21, 1998]

The 125RDS is a bottom of the range budget Pro-Logic Receiver - but good at the price - mine another from Richer Sounds for £150.I have been running the unit for about nine months now but unfortunately it has to go back - due to spurious buzzings, primarily from the centre channel (the sort of noise you get from your turntable if you try it without the ground lead connected!)
I have heard a better budget deck since purchasing - try Yamaha for size!

Richard Wright   a Casual Listener [Jun 20, 1997]

I recently sold my Pioneer A-225 Amp and decided to go upmarket and buy a ProLogic receiver of some sort, so I went down to my local WH Smith newsagent-type-place and bough a What Hi-Fi magazine. It had the most amazing deal in it - a ProLogic Receiver, with RDS and remote control for £150 GB Pounds!! I think that's about $250 USD! The receiver has 35W RMS for each channel - left, right, centre and rears, which I thought wasn't bad, and in normal stereo mode, 52W per channel RMS, which I also thought was pretty good!
So I went down to my local friendly Richer Sounds store(a large Hi-Fi chain in the UK - very cheap :-) They had one on demo in the home cinema demo room and it sounded great, so I went and bought one myself, and it's still great!! So far, I've watched Apollo 13 and Stargate on SKY in prologic - I mostly use it for music in my bedroom. I can definitely recommend it to anyone, but as far as I know, it's only available from Richer Sounds (in the UK, that is).

OJ   an Audiophile [Feb 11, 1999]

I bought one a couple of years ago, and fair play, it was an average prologic performer and pretty disasterous music player.BUT!! I discovered through tinkering that the subwoofer pre-out actually supplies a full range signal, so you can hook up a decent amp to power your main front speakers and the music is sweet again! Plus you can control the volume using the 125 remote.
Since then I have now added 2 Sherwood 4050 amps (daisy chained) for powering the front speakers and also a pair of subs. The amp for the subs is equalised/adjusted using a Sherwood EQ5010, and also a Sherwood 5 disc changer. And yes, before you ask, it is ALL controlled COMPLETELY by the 125 remote!
This combo is AWESOME in every manner. If you have the money+time, try it!
It beats the hell out of just about everything I have ever heard.

OJ