ROTEL RSX-1056 A/V Receivers

RSX-1056

75 watts x 5 into 8 ohms, 100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms, Dolby Digital, Dolby EX, Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS, DTS ES, DTS ES Discrete, DTS Neo 6, HDCD, assignable digital inputs x 5 (3 coaxial, 2 toslink), analog inputs x 7 (cd, tape, video 1-5) plus 7.1 channel input, independent multiroom/source with composite video, HD component video inputs x 3, video transcoding, Bi-directional RS-232 interface, RS-232 interface, 12V trigger x 3, RR-1050 learning remote control

anarchris   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 23, 2009]

Rotel is a forward sound that's fatiguing even on my paradigms. It is very fine and smooth. the remote isn't easy to use because only certain sound fields are immediately accessible. the posts are barely able to accommodate 10 gauge speaker wire and don't fully accept banana plugs.

Divorcy   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 13, 2008]
Strength:

Really good in stereo-listening.
Pre-outs for all speakers.
Looks amazing. Looks expensive

Lid on remote, kind of annoying, but works and the illuminated keys are nice in a dark room.
75 watt pr channel not enough for floor standing speakers..And the same for a proper centerspeaker..

Amazing receiver from Rotel. Really the best receiver I have ever owned according to prior owned receivers (se semilar products used)
5x75 watt is enough for most compact speakers, but not enough for floorstanding speakers. My B&W 803 and my center HTM really needed more power, but i foresaw this before i bought this receiver, so i already bought a rotel 985 THX 5x100 watt. This was bi-amped and 2x100 to each speaker was a BIG improvement!
I primarely bought this to use is as a pre-amp because it does not take a genious to figure out that 75 pr channel is kind of low to speakers that are just a tiny bit serious..

It looks powerfull, and sounds amazing. All the details really comes out in the opening, and when you use the On Screen Display, it possible to adjust many things in the receiver. Easy to set up, and easy to use. Overall I am very satified with this receiver, and ROTEL never lets you down..At least not me so far..:-)
Price is danish kroner..about 750 euro..

Similar Products Used: Denon 2106, nad 762, nad t163v2, marantz sr 5400SE, pioneer vsx ax3, pioneer vsx 1015, sony DB 940
Nada   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 06, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent 2 channel performance. 5 year warranty on parts and labor.

Sliding cover on the remote is a little flimsy. Buttons after the remote slide cover is opened do no illuminate.

I have been using this receiver for over 2 years now with B&W 603S3 speakers as fronts mostly for music. I am very satisfied with its performance in 2 channel stereo mode. With 100w power in 2 channel mode, it provides ample power to drive 603S3 speakers and brings in all the nuiances in the music I listen to.
Recently I added a center channel and a sub to my HT set-up. The resulting output from the receiver has not been at par with its 2 channel performance. Center Channel does not seem to get enough power when driving all channels in a 5.1 set-up, given the fact that all channels get 75watts in this mode. Last month my receiver just shutdown and did not come up. Rotel promptly repaired this issue and although this situation was annoying, the prompt service I received assuaged my anguish.

spminor   Audio Enthusiast [May 29, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, clean power. Just the right amount of inputs. An audiophile's list of features. Upgradeable, don't know what else they can do , but it's a plus! Great warranty. And solid construction inside and out.

ONLY two optical inputs. Sould have been just one more. Even it's big brother, the RSX-1067 has two optical inputs.

I only heard of Rotel through magazine ads, but never heard the actual product. I'm an evacuee from New Orleans and lost my previous system in Hurricane Katrina. It consisted of A Denon AVR 3300, Pioneer DV-414, and Wharfedale Valdus series speakers all around. I wanted to go back to my Pioneer roots and purchase the VSX-72TXV, or Denon AVR 3805. I was told by the salesman that he had something better and cheaper than both, The Rotel RSX-1056. I told him I've heard of Rotel, but never auditioned their product. He told me all the benefits this receiver had over the other two. I honestly didn't audition this receiver until I brought it home. The salesman told me if I didn't like it to bring it back, but he followed by saying "you won't". I WAS IMPRESSED! I thought my old 3300 was a beast. This receiver is perfect. Don't let the 75watts rms fool you.
I could not stop playing with this thing. They make my B&W 603 S3s sing like a songbird. I was able to save my Whafedale surrounds, so I have a 4.0 system at the moment. Everytime I play music, I hear something different. When I play dvds, the detail is right there. The Rotel is clean and powerful. You should get this receiver if you're shopping for one. You don't have to increase the volume much as the amp section is to dye for. It has great features, and none of the extras, which I really don't need. If you want a straight forward a/v receiver with all the essentials and power for days, this is the one to get.
It looks and sounds more expensive than it is. The build quality is top notch and soild. Straight forward controls, easy to read manual. Setup is easy as 1,2,3. Be careful when moving, this thing is heavy. The ONLY thing I don't like is that is has only two optical inputs. That's it, the rest is High fidelity at it's finest.
I've heard that "hiss" only a few times, and that was while I was breaking in new speaker cables, MIT Terminator 5.
I highly recommend this receiver. You will not be dissappointed!

Similar Products Used: Pioneer VSX-D498, Pioneer VSX-D811S, Denon AVR-3300. I audtioned the Elite VSX-74TXVI, Integra 5.6, Arcam AVR300.
Daniel Madden   Audio Enthusiast [May 02, 2006]
Strength:

Clean, detailed, forward sound with beautiful imaging and soundstaging!

Bags of power...don't let the rated power get you down!. It's conservative for sure!!

Rockem' sockem' home theatre performance!!

No phono input ???

Some aspects of the remote could be better.

Not recommended for Mom and pop setup. This is NOT a plug and play receiver !!. All parameters must be set up properly for maximum performance like speaker distance. SPL balancing/ leveling, subwoofer and speaker size setup etc. Must read and follow the manual's recommendations!!!

I replaced my old higher end Yamaha with this unit about 4 months ago for a number of reasons. Firstly I wanted to upgrade to Dolby digital and DTS from pro logic and secondly, I had heard about the sonic superiority of Rotel products.

I was not dissappointed in the least. Sending both my CD and DVD signal to the Rotel via Toslink cable was an eye opening experience!. The 2 channel CD performance is stunning. This receiver eats my Infinity speakers for breakfast and asks for seconds!!. Extreamely detailed sound and like others have mentioned here, very forward sounding. Rated at 75 watts X5 , this receiver is most certainly underated!. It has been tested and rated at 100watts X 5 by AV TECH mag and probably does even better in 2 channel. It has way more power than my Yamaha which was rated at 80 watts.

This receiver decodes anything sent to it automatically via digital or optical cables and it also decodes HDCD, which was another eye opening experience!!. Effectively getting 20 bit sound from standard CD's encorporated with the technology. Microsoft liked the technology so much, it bought it from the founders!!. I can see and hear why !. It also has a superior tuner than the Yamaha, sounds better and decodes the radio station monikar, displaying the stations name on the front pannel rather than the stations simple radio frequency. I like this feature a lot.

Nothing to complain about with this receiver. It delivers the best sound I've heard so far from an integrated amp!.

No hiss or hum in my unit! It's the quietist sound I've heard... totally black in the background.

Customer Service

Never needed so far

Similar Products Used: Yamaha, Denon, Carver
skeetert   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 12, 2005]
Strength:

Clear beautiful sound. Easy to follow instruction manual. It is a beautiful piece of equipment. First class audio/video receiver at a reasonable price. This is awesome for an entry level unit.

Some reviews claim that there is a hiss that comes from speakers even at low volume. I have heard to such hiss.

I had an adcom tuner/preamp model GTP500 with a 200 watt adcom amp GSA 555 and an Adcom surrond sound processor GSP 560. My speakers are mirage center, mirage right and left rear and fried G2A right and left front with two infinity subwoofers. I bought the Rotel 1056 on Dec 1st,2005 and I'm extremely satisfied with the clear sound and accurate reproduction of the DVD's and CD's that I have played.

Similar Products Used: This is my first receiver. I had separates with a surrond sound processor. (Adcom)
Isaac   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 18, 2005]
Strength:

Very musical sounding.

If you have very sensitive speakers and sit close to the speakers you may hear the hiss everyone is talking about.

This reciever is extreamly good sounding. You can hear every little sound on the recordings. I like that it can be upgraded and that it has an OSD. One of the best sounding receivers you can find. This receiver is excellent for HOMETHEATER and also for MUSIC. My system: ROTEL RSX-1056 ROTEL RDV-1050 BOSTON ACOUSTICS VR-M50 (FRONTS) BOSTON ACOUSTICS VR-MC (CENTER) BOSTON ACOUSTICS VR-MX (SURROUNDS) M&K V-1250THX (Subwoofer)

Similar Products Used: Pioneer Elite vsx-07tx and Pioneer Elite vsx-43tx
LAFORNY   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 05, 2005]
Strength:

Realistic sound. Instruments and voices sound like they should. Soundstage. Dynamics. Value for money.

Not the greatest ergonomics.

I recently purchased the RSX-1056 to replace an aging Pioneer Elite receiver. Here are my impressions so far: Sonically, a VAST improvement over the Pioneer Elite, who's sound I generally liked. The Elite had a warm, laid back sound that did no wrong, no matter the source material. The Rotel has an immediacy the Elite lacked. I wouln't call it bright, but merely forward. I am extremely sensitive to bright sounding gear. A few years back, I owned a Sherwood Newcastle reciever that practically made my ears bleed. I have listened to music and movies for hours on end, and don't get any fatigue with the Rotel. I am shocked at the change in soundstage. In both CD, SACD and DVD, the depth, height and width of the soundstage have opened up. Everything sounds more real. The tone and decay of instruments, movie soundtracks, and most of all, the midrange of male and female voices give me goosebumps. Try anthing with Cassandra Wilson and you will see. In both two-channel and multi, sounds come from everywhere and hover well away from the speaker baffles. To me, this is the ultimate test of a piece of home theater kit. It's got to create a convincing alternate reality in your listening space. The Rotel piece does this in spades. As far as the hiss issue, a few thoughts. Most recievers do this if you crank the volume all the way up. The strange thing is with the Rotel, I hear the hiss everyone's talking about if I put my ear to the speakers, but everything I listen to seems to emanate from a blacker background. I know this seems like a contradicton, but that's been my experience. Ergonomically, the unit is solid, but not as intuitive as the Elite. It has a few annoying quirks, but once you're up and running, I doubt they'll detract from your enjoyment of the unit. Overall, I am very pleased. I was going to get the 1068 processor and 1075 amp, but after checking out some Rotel chat rooms, I was convinced that the 1056 has essentially the same front end of the 1068, so when I'm ready, I'll simply add the 1075 without any loss in quality. The salesman reiterated this. I do my research, like I'm sure a lot of you do, and this unit's recieved rave reviews in muliple pubs in the US and England. That never hurts. I also purchased two other pieces of gear that I am equally thrilled with. The Sony DVP-NS975V DVD/SACD player and a Sony KD-34XS955. The Sony DVD player outputs an insane image via HDMI. I kept going through my DVD collection in awe at how much better they look. SACD is a new experience for me, and the Sony/Rotel combo simply blow me away. The Sony TV is essentially the XBR model, minus a few convenience features. I paid about $1,500 for it, and am so glad I didn't go plasma or LCD. Did I mention the picture is INSANE? Hope that helps, all. Best of luck.

Similar Products Used: Sherwood Newcastle reciever Pioneer Elite reciever
MAB   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 30, 2005]
Strength:

Overall sound, both in direct 2 channel mode and 5.1 home theatre playback. Nice appearance and build quality aside from the "hiss" issue and the fact that the unit would not sit level on my rack (possible warped shell?). All kinds of features and setup flexibility

"Hiss" feedback, possibly from processor. Sliding cover on remote is somewhat cheap

This was my second unit I demo'd in an attempt to replace my old Denon 2800 Receiver, which I began to find faults with after upgrading to Tributary cable and PS Audio Lab power cable off my Rotel 1070 cd player. Specifically, I found my old reliable Denon had become excessivly bright in 2 channel direct mode when listening to CD playback. My speaker setup is a fairly new (6 month old) pair of monitor audio silver 9's, along with the complimentary monitor audio silver center and sub. I say this is the second demo unit, as I first tried out a Denon 2805 to see what all the talk was about the new Denon units (the 3805 as well), and of course found no improvement over the 2800 when listening to the 2805. This led me to the 1056, which I picked up for $1170 from a local outfit (mind you the Denon @ $720 was a better deal dollar wise). Sound from this receiver was impressive in 2 channel direct mode playback, albeit still fairly bright for my system setup. Playback through the 2 channel stereo dsp setting was also fair, although not as detailed. I also ran this receiver through the home theatre paces and it handled the job fairly well, sounding decent all the way through, but it definitely didn't seem awe inspiring over my old Denon. Now for the major complaint. The inherent "hiss". It is present from any level above "min", and one turn of the knob and I heard an immediate pink noise hiss through all channels, at a constant level all the way up through the volume band until max, at which this noise was then accompanied by the obligatory high volume power hiss at the highest levels. Mind you that this unit was being ran through a Shunyata Research Hydra conditioner, so power to the unit should be considered clean. I returned to the dealer to discuss the problem, and checked their floor demo unit to see if the problem resided with it as well. Sure enough, that unit had the same issue, and at their location and not my residence. If one checks on-line outside this website, they'll find plenty of complaints regarding the problem. I called Rotel to see what might be done, and was told to reset the unit and check it again, with no improvement to the problem. When asked whether they were aware of the situation with the receiver, the technician told me "we have heard of similiar complaints and are looking into the situation". Safe to say that Rotel might fix this issue, but it will be another 6 months to a year until the public sees newer units devoid of this annoyance. In the end, I returned the unit for a refund as I couldn't live with dumping over a grand on a receiver that made noise when nothing was being played through it. In the end, I took a shot on the Outlaw 950/7100 pre-pro/amp combo after hearing about it on this website. All I can say is there's an amazing difference with the Outlaw, and I didn't even bother doing an A/B with my old unit. The improvement was immediate and obvious after only a day of burn-in, both in 2 channel direct and in 5.1 home theatre mode. Incredible rig for the price (only $400 more than the Rotel).

Similar Products Used: Denon 2800 Denon 2805 Outlaw 950/7100
GuillermoZ   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 18, 2005]
Strength:

Nice looks Powerful

Background noise with Classic, Opera, Slow Jazz will be a distracting factor.

This receiver in my opinion is good for most types of movies/music; however, classic or slow jazz will allow the background noise to be very noticeable in both modes (stereo or digital). When I'm listening to opera or classic orchestra music and there is a quiet passage, you can hear the background - hiss - noise even if I'm at 9 feet away from the speakers. If I go over 65dB then the noise will start increasing. The background noise is not very strong so I do not hear it when I play pop, rock, etc. In my opinion there are some other receivers at this price range that are far quieter. I have to admit that in general the receiver sounds very good. The bass is tight; highs are very clear and smooth, etc. The killer for this receiver is the background noise, especially if you have very sensitive speakers. I tryed with lower sensitivity speakers that I have and the noise is reduced but not gone. I have to clarify that I use CDs without noise. At first I thought that the noise was coming from the CDs or the source but after selecting very quiet CDs - with regards to noise - and checking several sources, wires, etc. The noise is coming from the receiver, most likely the pre-amp section. Before buying I looked at Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon and Sony. I did not notice the background noise before buying because the level of noise in a store will never be as quiet as your own house at night when you're relaxed and watching a movie or listening to music. I have also tested it with several "people" as my wife didn't notice the noise until I asked her to pay attention to it. I found that there is people that won't hear it and some others that will hear it after you ask them to pay attention to it and also people that will hear it but don't care about it. I belong to the group of people that hate to hear something else that is not music on my system. Some friends tell me that I should spend more bucks to get to the level of quietness I want; but I think that for $1300 dlls this thing should be a lot quieter. My system: RCD-1072 CD player Sony DVD player Infinity (front speakers) Bose (back speakers)