Pioneer VSX-D908S A/V Receivers

VSX-D908S

Audio / Video Receiver with Dolby Digital & dts - Crystal 24-bit A/D Converter - Burr Brown 96k / 24-bit D/A Converters - 100W x 5 channels - 4 Digital Inputs & 1 Digital Output - 5 Audio & 5 Video Inputs - S-Video Switching

Sean   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 25, 2003]
Strength:

Good surround sound/stereo reproduction, DSP modes actually quite pleasing. Vertical mounting of main boards, THX Ultra certified.

Over plastic/cheep construction, mis-advertising of remote supplied, amp power a little below "advertised", digital bass & treble controls only work in stereo mode.

I purchased the 908-TXG (TX stands for THX certified, G stands for the gold colour of the unit). Have generally been pleased with the amp with the exception of a few gripes; 1) The remote that was originally supplied with the amp (and reviewed in various magazines at the time) was a deluxe LCD back lit model. On purchasing the amp I discovered mine was supplied with a "bog-standard" remote learning remote. Nothing bad about the remote just that felt the advertising of the unit was quite misleading. I have since learnt this is common practice with Pioneer, to release some new AV products with a fancy remote then after a few months replace it with a cheaper model (you have been warned). 2) The power button has never worked quite right, it's always been a hit'n'miss affair as to whether the amp would actually turn off or on when pressing the power button (the remote power button has always worked). I've now had the amp over 2 years and it's still performing well, although the transformer has just starting making a low humming noise, which is probably to be expected as Pioneer has a reputation for power supply problems in a number of their AV products. Other points of note is that when fully "cranking" the volume the amp does tend to run out of steam for big bass/LFE tracks (i.e. most recently notable "Tron"), although admittedly I don't run a sub and all the bass goes through 2 series II 603 B&W speakers. Once again on the whole I must admit I've been fairly happy with the performance of the amp, however would I buy another Pioneer product... no (unless the price is extremely convincing).

A   Casual Listener [Feb 01, 2003]
Strength:

Has not blown up and started a fire

Mine is now broken after less than two years use. Customer service is rotten to the core (long waits, reps you can't understand, reps that could care less and will hang up on you). This repair job is now in its second month and according to Pioneer, it will be another month before the part gets in. Do yourself a favor and aviod Pioneer

When connected to the TV, radio noise comes through. Pretty good sound. Good hookups.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha Denon
ax   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 19, 2002]
Strength:

Sound

reliability and noise immunity

Great sound. Great features. THE WORST customer service known to mankind.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha
Talal   Casual Listener [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent Receiver , Crisp Sound , Great Bass , Fair price

No AC-3 RF Input

I have a Japan built model (VSX-D908TX) that THX ultra built in , and I don't have any comment JUST it is a GREAT Receiver and EXCELLENT BUY.

Eric Ferguson   Audio Enthusiast [May 21, 2000]
Strength:

Esteteticly pleasing to the eye,powerful and precise sound.

Remote backlight could stay on a wee bit longer.

Hands down the best reciever this poor boy ever had. I'm currently in the military and fortunatly was able to purchase the THX ULTRA version of this receiver from the military catalog, AWSOME! I'm currently using BOSE 701 for the front BOSE 201 for the rear, an Infinity center channel and a Cerwin Vega 15" 200 watt subwoofer, I say again AWSOME! If it's available stateside at your local audio store please run don't walk to your nearest Pioneer authorized dealer, you won't be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Sony GA8ES A/V receiver with Sony EP9ES processor.
gene sherman   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 08, 2000]
Strength:

Price, good quality for the jack

none really, a little tough to read far away, yet I may need lazer eye treatment

Morten,

Your comments our a tad out of line. I don't know, are all the other reviews just bunk? Heck, I don't know, are you the original audio freak, or what. The receiver is decent. If you paid too much for it, well that would size up your dome, and inabilty to find a good deal; furthermore, it would also explain your comments about the unit. If you want the sweet receiver, what the hell are you doing paying only $1500 for a receiver in the first place? I know what great one costs, do you? Ahh, Urr, don't even answer that. If somone has $900 drop, it is an excellent choice! But if you are a super freak, like Morten, then you should'nt even being buying a Pioneer in the first place.

Similar Products Used: vsx-906 pioneer
Morten Schmidt   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

5*110(Pioneer measurement) watt!

Only 5*55 real world power RMS, less than 1% THD!

There's little to like about the Pioneer, first of all my system:

DALI Evidence 870(front, $1500)
DALI Evidence C70(centre,$440)
DALI Evidence 370(rear, $650)
DALI SWA-15(subwoofer, $875)
TaraLabs PSC PRIME(Speaker cable, $40 per meter)
PIONEER DV-717(DVD-player marvellous)
TaraLabs Prism D1 Digital (Coaxcial between DVD and Receiver, $80)

The setup with this receiver was easy, it took about half an hour to get it to work. In the feature department there is no problem either, it has all the features you will ever need.

BUT DOES IT SOUND GOOD???

With the topmodel i Pioneer's Theater-series, the digital VSX-908RDS, Pioneer has released true monster hahahaaa. With 5*110 Watt (Pioneer watt!) there is enough power to fill up the most Home Theater's with stomach punching bass. But, unfortunately there are no 110 Watt, real watt anyway. (Several tests indicate that those 110 Watt, are more like 5*55 Watt, and it also sounds that way.) Many other manufactures concentrate on the sound, again Pioneer chooses their own way and doesn't, they spend to much time on their features.

Musically, the Pioneer has a low sense of separation and space, plus a small three-dimensional soundstage. Bass-lines are delivered without weight but does not sound boomy though but at no point does the low frequency element impress.

There are no good things to say about this product, for the price I have payed. I have just bougth the DENON AVR-4800 $1750, wich is a marvellous receiver compared to this crap, but that is for another review.

Pioneer's research and development is your key to the ultimate bad, kick-ass reciever, if it had 110 watt. And a little more sound QUALITY!!!

Similar Products Used: DENON AVR-4800, Marantz SR-7000, NAD T-770.
Hank Matray   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 14, 2000]
Strength:

Very good sound. This machine is good bild.

You have to work with a sybwoofer to get beter deep sound

This machine is good. I am very glad that I have buy this machine. In German is the test of the VSX908 very high!!

THE RUGBYNUT   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 26, 2000]
Strength:

REMOTE, ADJUSTABILITY,

WEAK BASS

I ended up with the THX version, it was shipped from Japan, dont know if its on the market stateside yet. it replaced a kenwood (junk) that i paid about the same for 3 yrs ago. Lets start with the remote--- Kick butt, it learned everything i had including a 3head denon tape deck that didnt even come with a remote! you can macro everything and turn on the whole system with desired sound fields with one button. I used the pre outs for a yamaha MX1000 amp that powers my Klipsch Chorus II's. the pioneer let me adjust the output level so they dont over power the surrounds and centerchannel. and when i switch back to stereo for audio play it puts all the power back to the front speakers and amp so i can blast my friends.Even my woman said the remote was easy to use. it even has a section totally dedicated to the tv so you can turn it on adj. vol , change channels. without firing up the whole system. its nice to see one remote where seven used to lay around cluttering up the coffee table. you can adjust out put levels with the remote for all spkers without any "pause" in sound for customizing system. it sounds incredible! i cant wait to hook up a dvd to it. the only thing its alittle weak in is the bass, but i dont have a sub yet so that will probably be an easy remedy. excellent buy!

Dan   Audio Enthusiast [May 03, 2001]
Strength:

Great value, great for home theater, good remote, lots of digital inputs

remote backliting is a little 'funny', DSP modes not all that great

Bought this receiver on an ebay auction from spidergear.com for $300 + $40 shipping. It was a refurbished model, but came to me in totally new condition, with everything fully functional. This is the second piece of refurbished Pioneer equipment I have purchased, with no complaints so far. The receiver I bought is actually the VSX-D908S, unlike some of the other variations reviewed below. Don't be fooled by the 'brushed' metal picture of the receiver that you see all over the internet. The one I received is the standard dull black metal that all low-end pioneer receivers have. Overall I am extremely happy with the overall performance of this receiver. I upgraded from the Pioneer VSX-D606S (I know, not much of an upgrade), primarily based on the fact that this receiver had all of the digital inputs that I needed without breaking the bank. After extensive listening to the 908S, I think that for 2-channel music, the 908S is very similar to the 606S. However, for home theater, I think the 908S is slightly superior. Not a lot, but at least noticeably better. I bought the 606S for $600 (new) when Dolby Digital 5.1 was just becoming mainstream. In hindsight, I probably could have waited 6 months and gotten all the features I wanted for $300. So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that for $340, the 908S is an outstanding entry level receiver. If you really want to save the money, go on ebay and buy a 606S for ~$100-$150.
Other things I liked about the 908S-
1) Easy on-screen setup
2) Ability to control other manufacturers equipment with the same remote
3) Tons of digital inputs
4) S-Video switching
5) Extremely clean sound. I have Infinity RS-8s with built in powered subs, and the receiver has plenty of power to drive these speakers.

The only thing I didn't like about the remote is that when you depress a button, it becomes backlit, but doesn't stay backlit for very long. I know it's to save batteries, but if I can afford a receiver, then I can afford batteries. Also, some of the DSP modes don't really sound that good, but I'm sure some people like them.