Pioneer VSX-99 A/V Receivers

VSX-99

Dan   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 14, 2012]

Although very attractive and well built, I am not a real fan of the sound. I think the issue is that most people consider sound "quality" as comparing the output waveform to the input (and not what it really sounds like), in that case the receiver excells greatly. But it cators to the high frequencies, which is alright if your a jazz fan, but for good hair band rock and roll, this receiver lacks the mids and lows. This can easily be compensated by patching thru an equalizer but for the price of an elite I would expect much better overall performance.

Ken Widlake   AudioPhile [Nov 16, 2010]

I use this as a stereo receiver, because I am only interested in true and accurate musical reproduction.
This was new in 1995 and is still a fantastic piece of eqipment.
The unit is very attractive even down to the rosewood sideboards.
This also features a remote, which I had to find on ebay.
The Pioneer Elite is a very heavy piece, which means big heavy transformers and cooling fins for the mosfet amps.
The sound is very musical and articulate. Very enjoyable and non fatiging.
I spend hours and hours enjoying my music and stopped watching tv !
After having McIntosh, etc over many years I consider this to be right there with them in sound and quality.
This amp will be the foundation of my system for many happy years to come.

phileserver39   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 26, 2010]

Good receiver although previous posters have the right gripes: not enough AC-3 inputs. This is a beefy amp and will drive just about any speakers adequately. I wish, though, that it had preamp outputs like the holy grail of the Pioneer receivers, the VSX-D1S (which I also own). The VSX-99 has sub pre and center pre out but no rear or main pre outs. I will say that the Dolby Digital inputs sound fantastic and really make a difference over my Pioneer DVD analog outs. All in all not a bad deal for the $50 I paid for it at an estate sale in CT while visiting my Dad.

djbeaubien   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 13, 2003]
Strength:

beautiful looks lots of good clean power onscreen menu heavy duty power supply

feature wise and power wise none my local repair shop told me this model was plagued with problems not worth fixing

i saw this on ebay and studied up on it,i was impressed 130 wpc AC3 cooling fan elite series beautiful looks onscreen display heavy duty power suply in eccelent condition guaranteed to work perfect so i bought it UPS showed up 5 days later and i hooked it up first of all no FM or AM reception just static and couldn`t get video to switch on dvd mode but the audio sounded eccelent fortunatly the seller took it back w/ full refund and claimed it worked fine when he got it back be carefull out there if you shop ebay anyways i would have loved to keep this unit if only everything worked properly it was in mint cond

Similar Products Used: pioneer vsx-9700s vsx-d811s vsx-4800 sansui G-6700 kenwood vr-6070
anthony lee   Casual Listener [Jul 20, 2001]
Strength:

Very quality receiver! Great for music and HT!

Not enough digital inputs

The look is awesome w/beautiful rosewood side panel. The sound is very clean! Quality material such as face of the receiver, heavy duty fan/power supply, and power cord!

Rajesh   an Audio Enthusiast [Oct 14, 1998]

Great sounding receiver. The best one I have owned so far. Pure line stereo sound is as good as any high end amp. However, it does not have a optical digital input and a separate DVD input. You can use the TV/SAT AC-3 input, but to get S-video, you have to independently select the audio and video scources.

Wayne Gilbert   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 20, 2000]
Strength:

Well made and put together.

Not enough AC-3 inputs for differnet equipment

Great reciever though not well thought out