Pioneer VSX-859RDS A/V Receivers

THX Surround EX DTS-ES (Compatible) DTS-ES (Compatible) DTS Digital Surround

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 23, 2020]
us25

Strength:

I own this VSX-859RDS Pioneer in gold as a limited series and it stopped working after a while. I took it to the authorized dealership in Athens Greece where I live and after keeping it for almost three months they told me to come and take it back because it needs a part that is not available anymore. The part is called : AWX 7594 (MAIN CONTROL ASSY). All I have to say is W.T.F.

Strong and clear sound horrible service.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2001
[Sep 11, 2002]
casey_love
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

One of the most complete systems. Capable of 7.1 but needs a separate amp to work with the rear speakers.

Music, but I did not buy it for this purpose so I can't really complain.

Here (Saudi Arabia) this product is known as the 895TX for the black model and 895TXG for the gold finish. Since I planned only to spend $650 dollars for an A/V receiver the I skipped the AX10 or the 910 models which are top dogs. The receiver is great with DVD movies and quite ok with music altho my dedicated amp (NAD 370) is is way better. I am quite happy to recommend it over a Denon 1802 or a similarly priced Onkyo or Yamaha which have a couple of badges missing compared with the pioneer. Set up: B&W 602 S3 fronts, 601 S3 surround, Tannoy MXc center, REL Q100 active sub. Front and surround speakers are bi-wired. Chord Optichord optical cable, Pioneer DV533 dvd player. I recommend using quality audio cables from the DVD to the A/V as well as running an optical cable simultanously for CDs that do not support any of the surround modes. Its true that a digital coax cable is just as good as the optical cable but I already have the optichord. If you still don't have an optical cable, go for the coax but buy a good quality cable from name brands like Chord, AR or Audioquest.

Denon 2802

[Jun 18, 2002]
dalescheepers
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

dvd's

music, weak on bass without SW

Just an update on an earlier review, i said that this receiver was quite good with music... i have changed my mind and have bought a stereo amp.... no comparison. Even if you have to break the bank go out and but a stereo amp... the receiver is still awesome with DVD's

[Jun 05, 2002]
JOSE LUIS FUENTES
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

ESPECTACULAR CON LAS PELICULAS, SONIDO MUY BUENO EN MODO THX

HORRIBLE CON MUSICA, MALO CON EL STEREO, DEMASIADOS BAJOS....

COMPARADO CON MI VIEJO YAMAHA, TENGO QUE DECIR QUE GANA MUCHISIMO CUANDO SE USA PARA VER PELICULAS, SOBRE TODO LAS DE ACCION, AUNQUE LAMENTABLEMENTE PIERDE BASTANTE CUANDO SE OYE MUSICA, ME PARECIO HORRIBLE, ABUSA DE LOS BAJOS Y CONTINUAMENTE HAY QUE ESTARLO REGULANDO PARA QUE NO DISTORSIONE, EN FIN NO SE PUEDE TENER TODO....

DENON, YAMAHA

[May 22, 2002]
SUJ SHARMA
Casual Listener

Strength:

Still in the experimental stages!

DSP MODES & REMOTE

I got this at a bargain price of £250. It is a monster of a machine with great facilities. However, not happy with the remote or the DSP modes. The On Screen Display could have some colour instead of being grey. But when you paid what I have who am I to complain, with free delivery. Can anyone recommend some speakers to go with this??

N?A

[Mar 21, 2002]
Anders Hagberg
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Deep, heavy.....and POWER!

Maybe too big, not very good with music. Angry neighbours ;-)

Heavy bass, great with movies. If you only looking for a bass for your home-theathre, this is the choice.

[Mar 12, 2002]
serg
AudioPhile

Strength:

Pioneer VSX D859RDS

...the best music is music that you like... stereo-4 HT-5 power-4 looks-5 THX-5 remote-4 DSP-3 price-5 ...and white sticker as quality control

*/-*/-*/-

[Feb 26, 2002]
serg
AudioPhile

Strength:

Power, sound stage, image, remote

not a review. Friends try DTS DVDs !!!

so many

[Feb 23, 2002]
Scarface
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

HT sound quality, looks, THX

Weak stereo capabilities, remote

Great value for the price, if HT is your thing. Stereo -- look elsewhere, I''ve purchased separate Harman Kardon AV receiver, which is horrible in HT but one of the best in stereo.

Dantax 2000 , Harman Kardon 4000, Denon 3801, Onkyo 787

[Aug 03, 2001]
Raymond Serville
Casual Listener

Strength:

THX Select - Not much difference between Ultra except Power.
AC3 RF Input - Great for my Laserdiscs
7.1 Channel Inputs and Outputs
Component In and out
Price, Price, Price

No Motorised Volume Nob :(

I bought this receiver to replace my older kenwood, also I wanted to listen to Star Wars Episode 1 in all it's THX Glory, i was not dissapointed by the quality of the sound, sound seperation is fantastic and get all the inputs and outputs that you need. Having a front optical input is quite helpful if you have any portable digital medium that supports it. My SB Live 5.1 has optical outputs so it is very handy. I'm sure that this Amp is not quite 100W per channel but turn the volume up and it provides enough power to fill a decent sized room. The only downside is i would like to control my Sky Digital and TV without having to change video/audio inputs, but as there is only one TV control function it's a bit awkward. But enough said, This Amp is fantastic and anyone wanting THX EX but can't quite justify spending $1600 for a Denon AVC-10SE should seriously consider this one. Well worth the money.

Kenwood KRF-V5030