Panasonic SA-XR57S A/V Receivers

SA-XR57S

The Panasonic SA-XR57 Home Theater Receiver in silver offers superb sound quality with Dolby Digital, Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoders that allow this 7.1-channel 700+Watt A/V receiver to produce realistic soundscapes that will make you feel like you are inside the movie, concert, or game. Ready for use with HDTV, Super Audio CD, DVD Audio, and more, the SA-XR57 with multiple sound field listening modes will turn your home into a movie theater, jazz club, arcade hall, and more at the touch of a button. Features such as full digital amplification, component video and digital connections, a front panel A/V input, a universal remote, and more make the SA-XR57 a serious receiver ready to impress even the most discriminating home theater enthusiast.

Stliong   AudioPhile [Dec 10, 2007]
Strength:

The cleanest most accurate amplifier in the world that's also HDMI, biamp, and biwire capable in a single box. No analog amp can match the clarity and accuracy of this receiver. Heck, I've sold my Krell and Bryston for it.

No built in digital crossover to complete the built-in digital biamp+biwire. But I guess that's asking too much from a sub $500 receiver. THD can be better but that's an inherent problem with all digital amp designs. Bad recordings really sound bad due to the transparency. Initial setup is primitive with no on screen menu.

I never ever give 5 stars on both value and overall ratings, but this single product clearly deserves it. Simply the most advanced, no analog signal involved, digital amp in the world. The SA-XR700 is better due to the blue-ray disc compatibility but at twice the price why bother, though even at its price of $800 I'd still get it over Yamahas and Denons. I currently use it with Onkyo DV-SP504 DVD/SACD player that's claimed to be the most accurate when used as a transport, I must say with this receiver and HDMI, SACD sounds better on the CD layer than the analog DSD layer. With the Newform Research R630 ribbons, it's just the most accurate system I've ever built though it may not be suitable for those looking for sweet tube-like sound.

Similar Products Used: Integrateds from Musical Fidelity, Krell, Bryston, Roksan, Sim Audio. Receivers from Harman, Denon, and Yamaha.
mnorman2001   AudioPhile [Jun 14, 2007]
Strength:

Sound

Set-Up

I have had the opportunity to have this receiver in my system after getting some great advice from someone in the industry. Basically he told me that this out does receivers many, many times it's price and he is right.
I cannot believe how good this sounds after it is set up properly. It is not pretty, it is a bit of a pain to set up but if you are interested in an immense amount of detail and loads of clean power this is the ticket. I have not used anything this inexpensive for 20 years and can't believe it!
The only negative thing about it's sound it that if the DVD/CD sounds bad it will sound terrible as everything is revealed warts and all. With a great sounding disc it is pure magic. If you like your gear to sound warm I don’t think this would work out, otherwise it is a fantastic. I will be picking one of these for sure.

Similar Products Used: Denon,Nad,Yamaha,Bryston
Norman   AudioPhile [Jun 14, 2007]
Strength:

Ridiculous value,solid sound and great detail

a little awkward to set up