Onkyo TX-SR302 A/V Receivers

• Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
  • Dolby ProLogic Iix
  • Dolby Digital EX

Bruce S.   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 13, 2009]

I paid $45 + $20 shipping for a refurbed one of these on Ubid. That's the huge sum of $65. It looks like new, it runs like new. I use it in my "second" system, which is in my basement. I listen to this system while working out. This may sound like casual listening, but I wind up listening to it a lot. I have a somewhat curious assortment of gear hooked up to it, but the overall effect is pleasing. Because I am pretty much right next to the setup while listening, a high-powered amp wasn't really needed. This Onkyo has more than enough power for the conditions in which I use it.

The two main modes I use are 5 Channel Stereo and plain old 2-channel via headphones. Occasionally I'll route DVD or VCR audio through the receiver. I do not use the tuner section. FM reception in my house can be difficult; in the basement, forget it. That's fine, because I have a lot of recorded material to play!

The 5 channel stereo is excellent and is my most preferred mode. I use 6 speakers for it, included a powered sub and of course a center channel. One of these days, I might consider upgrading this receiver with a better model, but it performs well enough that I feel no real need to do so. The major complaint I have is that the speaker connectors are those silly clip things. This is partially made up for by the inclusion of a subwoofer pre-out.

Overall, one of the better $65 I've ever spent. If it'd cost $100, still a decent deal.

ChrisY   Casual Listener [Feb 14, 2006]
Strength:

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap all around good 5.1 HT and house party 2 channel stereo receiver,more power than one would think.

FM radio reception could be a little better.

I purchased this receiver refurbished from jr for 99 bucks and couldnt be happier plus that price included a year 2 extended warranty to go along with a 1 year warranty provided by Onkyo.The sound is absolutely incredidle and it puts you right the center of the movies perfectly.Live concerts are totally awesome in surround mode using this receiver and this thing can turn a nice a gathering into full blown party,2 channel stereo is really awesome and this thing can put out some really good power when if needed.I cant even cut the volume past 45 as it is very loud at this volume but crystal clear and can go up much louder.Im more happier with this Onkyo 65 watts per channel receiver than I was with my past Pioneer,JVC and Sony 100 watt per channel receivers.

Similar Products Used: Sony,JVC and Pioneer
cornel   Casual Listener [Apr 12, 2005]
Strength:

Clarity. Got a great deal for it.

Bugy, slightly underpowered.

First impression: wow, nice! The sound is clear, even if slightly underpowered, with good bass output in stereo. The 5.1 is slightly weaker, but still fills up the room with decent accuracy (less bass). Did not use a sub - this might be the reason. Problem with my unit: high-level controls froze up twice in 3 weeks (first time after 1 hour of use, second time after 3 weeks). The sympthom: inability to use any of the controls (either the remote, or the front buttons or volume). The low-level (amplif) would still work fine (sound coming out), but no control over it through the interface. Fix: unplug and re-plug power cord. Bug (feature?): turning up the volume works fine, however. if a certain threshold is passed, turning down the volume results in abrupt drop in intensity (power). In stereo, the threshold is 64 (out of 70). For surround, threshold is 54. To regain full power scale, one should either turn back up the volume, or switch back and forth to a different DSP mode. Due to the freeze, it went back to shop.

Similar Products Used: NAD, Onkyo, Sony
Aging Rock Dog   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 15, 2005]
Strength:

price

FM reception (albeit in a tricky area)

I bought this based on price and a belief that Onkyo products represented quality. Unfortunately I was not happy with the sound or FM recetion. Though I live in a tricky area (behind a mountain from most of the local transmitters) this receiver pick up cleanly only two of the many staions I regularly listen to. I have an old ElCheapo all-in-one receiver that I bought at a garage sale for $15 that outperforms this unit for FM reception. I also have two lower end Denon receivers that are wonderful, and have no problems with FM reception (I do have a roof antenna that all my equipment, including the Onkyo, attach to.) Needless and sadly to say, I'm shipping this back. I will say that if price is the determining factor over FM, or you live in an area where reception is not a problem, this could be a good deal.