DESCRIPTION

DD/DTS receiver

USER REVIEWS

Showing 1-10 of 39  
[Nov 27, 2004]
CoolbeaN
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound quality especally for music.

Weakness:

Headphone jack, and yes I have to say it, the remote is crap. Do yourself a favor and get a learning remote. Check out the HOME THEATER MASTER SL-9000. Sure it costs $100, but it can learn anything, it has HUGE range, and is darn near indestructable. Accedntally dropped a 25 lb weight on it from about 4 feet, not even a scrach.

I purchased this receiver 3 years ago. I have it mated up with Paradigm Atoms, CC170, ADP70s, and PDR8. The sound quality is wonderful. This receiver does a great job of not coloring the music. Some people prefer the warmer sound of Denon, HK, and Marantz, but i like to hear exactly what is recorded. Even at extreme volumes only a limited amount of distortion is heard. I also use the Headphone jack with a pair of Grado Labs SR-125s. I have to say I am not too impressed with the quality out of the headphone jack, it seems too harsh. The same headhpones plugged into my friends Marantz or the Linn headphone amp and the shop where i purchased my equipment sound so much better. About a year ago I did have a problem where the first 1/2 hour the amp was on some relay inside would click randomly, No distortion was heard and it wasn't switching modes and the fan wasn't turning on so I can't fathom what the relay was controling. Also the left channel on the headphone jack would be dead unless the volume was turned way up. then it would pop and come on and you could turn the volume down but there was still distortion in that channel. Obviously a short some where. Theese problems continued for approx 4 months, just as I was about to give in and have it repaired the problems mysteriously went away and it now works as well as it ever has.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[May 30, 2004]
siars
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

None. This company, well, sucks.

Weakness:

everything

Well the T751 with the right front and rear channel problems has since been replaced with a T752. After hooking it up THE LEFT REAR CHANNEL DOESNT WORK!!!! There is a crackling destorted sound that comes out in all surround modes. For to many reasons to explain it is not the other equiptment. The company has absolutely, positively the worst built quality imaginable!

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Apr 20, 2004]
siars
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

sound is good, but what good is that if the unit is never working properly?

Weakness:

built quality, customer support

I purchased this unit because NAD has a nice sound for the price. I cant say so much for the built quality though. I started having problems with it about 8 months after purchase. The right channel had a static effect coming out of it, so I sent it back under warranty. Shortly afer getting it back the right channel started cutting out so I shipped it out of warranty. Shortly after getting it back the right channel and the right rear surround started cutting in and out, so again shipped out of warranty(see a pattern?). Shortly after getting it back the rear right channel started cutting out, I contacted NAD and never heard back from them. So to make a long story short I "gave" the receiver away and bought a Denon 3803 which I am overly pleased with the sound and built quality. I will never buy NAD again. I Also have a NAD T550 DVD player with which I'm having the lip sync problems discribed in those posts.

Similar Products Used:

denon(awesome), marantz, B&K, Sony

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[May 17, 2003]
Adje
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound Sturdiness

Weakness:

Fan noise

I bought a NAD T752 about 6 months ago having read many of the NAD reviews on this site and also sound testing other similar receives: - Yamaha - Denon - Bose (not really similar but in the same category) I chose the NAD on the basis of sound quality and features. Probably you can get more features from Yamaha but the T752 has as many features as you need and is a massive improvement on the T751. The interface is easy to use at the remote is good. The sound is excellent, very warm sounding and combined with the KEF 2005 speakers is an excellent package for a home surround sound system that doesn't take over the room. True to NAD form, however, I had a problem with the receiver within weeks of purchasing it and back to the shop it went. 5 weeks and one nasty letter to NAD latter I got the receiver back and it has worked like a dream ever since. Occasionally it doesn't automatically pick up a surround sound track DVD properly but this could be disk and not the reciever. I must say I have been very impressed by the sound quality and the sturdiness of the unit. It weighs a ton. I must admit that I do find the cooling fan annoying - it comes on and off as needed and is loud enought for my wife to say "what's that noise" whenever it comes on (yes, it does have lots of ventilation). On the whole I am happy with my purchase and I am glad I didn't go Yamaha (sound was just a bit to sharp - tiring on the ears). The Denon is good but the comparable model lacked the features and was not as simple to use as the NAD. Finally, NAD has their own surround processor for stereo CDs. It is called EARS. Despite the fact that Dolby now has prologic II I generally select the EARS option as I find it less 'manipulated'.

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Apr 18, 2003]
KCGuitar
AudioPhile

Strength:

Sound quality Good for Music and Home Theater Reserve power, (doesn't strain and distort at higher volumes like many other less conservatively rated amps) Minimalist approach to asthetics Trying to marry both music and home theater in one box.

Weakness:

Manual Features Surround field processing options NAD Grey/Black color probably doesn't match with other components well.

I'm actually just plugging here for the NAD 752 since this site is a little slow, (months) getting new equipment up. It's a frustrating experience trying to get a good home theater and a great sounding pre-amp/amp combination for music listening into one box. If you are mostly into home theater some other receivers like Denon/Yamaha may appeal to you because of the variety of tweaking and features you can do. I do not consider NAD to be at the forefront in these areas. I do consider them way ahead of the game in sound quality and musicality. NAD certainly has it's own way of coloring the sound, as all pre-amp/amp's do. It's just that there is more information and better balance across the spectrum with the NAD. (Be careful when looking at the power ratings of receivers. Very deceiving). The NAD has a modest power rating of 80watts per channel. The difference is in the reserve power and the quality of their preamp. My Sony 333es receiver could get as loud as this one. Maybe a little louder. It just didn't sound as smooth. You felt very fatigued after listening to the Sony es. This one gets loud but keeps power in reserve so when your listening material needs extra punch, it's all there. Very different approach. I have searched and searched for a new A/V receiver. I have auditioned Rotel/NAD/Yamaha/Sonyes/Integra/Adcom/B&K/and countless others. My search ended with NAD. for 1k and less this receiver is hard to beat. I owned a Sony STR-DA333ES for about a year. Great features but when I upgraded my speakers to the PSB Stratus series the Sony es was falling very short in the musicality area. The stratus require a bit more power being 4ohm speakers. The ES was sounding very thin and weak. That started my hunt for the best receiver under $1k. Since I listen to a lot of SACD music, the sound of the receiver was very important to me. I do about 50/50% home theater and music listening. If your going for the most musical amp under 1k, I strongly recommend listening to this amp with some good speakers before buying anything else. I feel if you are able to get into separates that Rotel and others may be a better way to go. But, your also getting into the $2k plus category. If you want it all in one box, stop here. You will find more features on others like Denon/Sony es/Yamaha. So, if features and tweaking are important this amp may not be the one. If the sound is top priority, take a listen. Obviously you can do better if your 100% into music. If your trying to marry both worlds in one box under 1k, this is it.

Similar Products Used:

Rotel NAD Yamaha Sonyes Integra Adcom B&K and countless others

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Oct 23, 2002]
stunaramore
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Original sound quality was very good before repairs and still sounds better than most low-priced receivers.

Weakness:

Prone to amplifier problems.

This is an update to my review published here last January. I am sorry to say that I now must downgrade my original scoring due to problems that have occured since then. Shortly after my former review the receiver completely lost its center channel so that no dialogue could be heard when playing movies. It took three weeks in the repair shop to fix. Then, just two months ago, the right channel stopped working and the unit had to go back into the shop. This second time the T751 was not covered by a warranty and I had to pay the entire cost of repair. Since coming home from the shop the unit plays in all channels, but the sound quality is not the same. Something was lost during the repair process. I had been warned by some friends that NAD had some quality control problems despite their overall high quality....and I have had to learn the hard way that the company does indeed have some problems. I still like the basic, overall sound, but two things going wrong in just six months with a decreased sound quality after repairs leads me to downgrade this receiver to a much lower score of 3.

Similar Products Used:

Denon receivers. I think Denon is better in quality control and may be better in sound quality, also.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Oct 22, 2002]
keepitsimplestupid
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

simple and has some added features over nad's classic series...i love the look of NAD equipment compared to denon,sony, yamaha etc.....banana plug compatible speaker posts (makes biwiring easier)

Weakness:

remote control-->replace with sony rmvl-900-->you wont be sorry.....limited digital inputs (video 1) but i dont notice any difference between digital and good rca ended cables with cd source so not a big deal....pause between source switching...no dimming option on display (if i had it my way, there would be no lcd display at all).... weird television interface system for setting up some basic speaker/room setup stuff...not hard to do, just kind of weird...

i purchased this amp online without having a chance to hear it first, not the wisest decision, but i had the full intent of replacing my NAD C-350 with it to get into the DTS world.....i love my c-350 and expected better things from this amp (as it is a step up, at least in price/functions) ....i also read the reviews posted on this web site and felt comfortable with the purchase.... the posts that state that this amp needs to break in for a long time are completely right...it sounded horrible for the first two weeks of ownership compared to my C-350 (talk about buyer's remorse) but just last night i compared them again, and now they sound very similar (with audio)....i think the C-350 has a larger range of Bass adjustment, but the T751 is adequate, and with the option of adding a sub, has the potential for more bass than most music demands....both amps can get all the treble you could ever want (i think).... ultimately, the t751 has replaced my nad c-350 amp and sounds pretty good (i think i still like the c-350 better, but i cannot switch the amps fast enough for my ears to tell any noticable difference).... i am running paradigm moniter 7v2 fronts and have yet to purchase any additional speakers....the amp has no trouble getting these speakers up to real loud volumes, but comfortable listening volume is about half way on the dial (20-30)....i notice a digital clicking sound when there is no source playing and i turn the volume up really loud...of course you would not hear it with music playing, but it is there.... and yes, the remote stinks....replaced it with a sony rmvl-900 with no problems....does everything the hts-1 remote did...and took no time to setup..... i would recommend that anyone considering this amp take there time shopping and try to find a demo and compare it to similar other brands (onkyo, denon, harmon kardon, and yamaha)...at the price point i was in, it seemed to have all the functions i needed and does audio better than other brands (i dont care too much about movie quality sound...but that may all change now!) add $50 to cost of this amp to cover the cost of a good remote (sony) when comparing amp prices

Similar Products Used:

NAD C-350, Yamaha home theatre amp, kenwood home theatre amps

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Sep 19, 2002]
jltrdavis
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good build quaility, clean power, much better than sony, pioneer, etc.. High Wife Acceptance Factor. Easy to use.

Weakness:

If you like your home theater / music loud this is not the amp for you. Limited setup options but then again for a novice home theater user they would be great.

I purchased this receiver as a temporary solution while I upgrade my system. I previously had a Harman/Kardon AVR7000 which had a ton more power than the T751 but the T751 does provide good clean sound. Would be perfect for a bedroom setup or small room. No the remote is not the best but it does work just fine.

Similar Products Used:

Harman/Kardon AVR7000

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Jul 18, 2002]
bheller
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Simplicity Sound Volume Knob Power is underrated

Weakness:

Remote Minor irritants throughout product

I became emotionally attached to the NAD T751 just by looking at it. I think it is the most attractive and simple receiver on the market. I read the reviews on this site and purchased the T751 for my 23rd birthday. However, when I started using it I found several things about the receiver that I didn’t like. First, there is no digital input for the CD player. I hear the newer models have that, but the one shipped to me didn’t. I got around this by connecting an optical cable to the Video 1 input, but its still a little annoying. Second, the remote sucks. Not just ergonomically and the fact that it is a non-learning remote, but because there is a much longer delay than with other products that I have used. Third, in DTS mode, the subwoofer output is significantly softer than in Dolby Digital and other modes. I have no idea why this is, but it is at least 15db quieter, making the sub almost useless unless I turn it up. Fourth, I’m not a bells and whistles person, but the onscreen options are so limited. The speaker settings are limited to 4 options, really 2 if you have a sub (Large speakers all around / Small Speakers all around). Additionally, there is a timing adjustment for the rear speakers in Dolby Digital mode, but not in DTS. WHY? And lastly, I don’t believe the hype that NAD components sound better. My Sony ES receiver sounded every bit as good as the T751. True the NAD does have a warmer sound, but it is not a better sound to me. I find it actually makes rock music sound less exciting. On the whole I like the receiver, but I was expecting to love it. I think you can get a better receiver for your money with Yamaha, even though they aren’t as beautiful designed.

Similar Products Used:

Sony ES Reciever Sony DVD Sony CD player Kef UniQ speakers Infinity 1000 Watt sub B&W Center

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Jun 09, 2002]
satterwill
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great two channel performance, more powerful than 60 wpc rating suggests. High quality DACs.ç

Weakness:

Limited bass management options. Speaker binding posts crammed together pretty tight. Quality control may be a concern.w

I'm generally a big fan of NAD products, warts and all. This one embodies the best and the worst of NAD. It's a great choice for someone who wants a surround receiver without sacrificing stereo performance, provided none of the quirks are deal-killers. It offers great two channel performance for an AV receiver, plenty of power and current for most speakers. The built-in DACs do a great job with CDs and DVDs, solidly beating my low end Samsung DVD player and for non-HDCD disks every bit as good as my Denon DCM 370. I really like the no-nonsense styling and lack of tacky flashing lights etc. But this is not the receiver for everyone. The remote (which I actually think looks great) is short on functions and needs to be pointed perfectly straight at the receiver. The speaker binding posts are packed very tightly together on the back, makes connecting bare 10 ga wire quite a chore, and biwiring can be very difficult. The FM tuner performs poorly in comparison to some old analog tuners I have (no big surprise) as well as a Daewoo minisystem! But the biggest potential problem with this receiver is likely to be the limited bass management options. The crossover point for "small" speakers is set at 100 hz and cannot be adjusted. In some cases, you may be able to work around the crossover issue by setting sub = no and fronts = large then wiring the main speakers in series with the sub, using the sub's crossover, but this will not help users with tiny rears that should be crossed over higher. The center and rear speakers cannot be set to different sizes (although turning off a set of speakers is an option). Finally, quality control may be a bit of a concern. I bought a refurbished unit from Yawa, and it was clearly defective when it arrived (loud humming in rears and center, clicking noise from unit itself, also seems to have been underpowered in comparison to the replacement I got). Yawa was great at getting me a replacement reasonably quickly (and even gave me an open box unit since they were out of refurbs) but I don't think something as obviously defective should have made it out of the factory and I was out the cost of return shipping. I would NEVER think of buying a NAD product from an unauthorized dealer.?

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha, JVC, and Kenwood surround receivers. NAD inegrated amps and stereo recivers.å

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
Showing 1-10 of 39  

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.

audioreview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

Other Web Sites in the ConsumerReview Network:

mtbr.com | roadbikereview.com | carreview.com | photographyreview.com | audioreview.com