NAD T750 A/V Receivers

NAD T750 A/V Receivers 

DESCRIPTION

ANALOG Dolby Pro-Logic decoding - 3 x 50 Watts - 2 x 30 Watts for rear - 4 Audio inputs; 2 tape outputs - 4 Video inputs; VCR output - Stereo Mode: 60 watts/channel

USER REVIEWS

Showing 1-10 of 20  
[Feb 21, 2003]
grtgrfx
AudioPhile

Strength:

Clear clean and dark sound. Simple controls. Drives inefficient speakers with ease. Sounds much better than most Japanese competitors.

Weakness:

No S-VHS inputs, no phono input, no volume LED, No AC3 or DTS digital inputs

I bought this receiver to replace a Sony STR-DE615 receiver. Although the Sony had a stated 100wpc rating and many more surround modes, the NAD T750 is much quieter, more musical, and cleaner. This receiver is very good for a mid-range home theater because it has enough clean power to drive rear and center surrounds but it really shines in audio reproduction. Playing a well-recorded CD like Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" or Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is like being transported into the recording studio. There's no noise floor, strings are crystal clear, drums reverberate, and the sound is so warm you almost think it's a tube amp. It's not harsh like typical Sony, Kenwood or Pioneer units. You can listen for hours without fatigue. Playing DVDs is very good also. Try out "The Perfect Storm" or "Saving Private Ryan" to experience the surround capacity of this receiver. You're in the middle of the scene. Some reviewers have complimented the T750's power rating by saying they noever play it past "12-o'clock" on the volume knob. How they get it that loud without being evicted is beyond me. 10:30 is as loud as I go for audio, maybe 11 or 12 for DVDs because they are recorded quieter. This amp really rocks with techno or electronica, but is totally lush playing jazz or classical too. But if you have a lame recording, it will be obvious, because rough spots aren't covered over. The only drawbacks to this receiver are in the A/V section, where there are no S-VHS inputs, so you can't switch through HD-quality sources, and there's no-pre-amp stage, so you need an outboard box to play records (quaint). I bought a nice Parasound phono pre-amp for $100 so I could use my turntable. Otherwise, connect three VCRs, a DVD player, two tape decks and a CD player, and you're good to go. You have the choice of configuring two sets of stereo speakers (A/B) or one surround set. Mine is set for surround. When I get a new HDTV set with component connections (eventually), I will upgrade this receiver to a newer NAD with digital inputs, but until then, it doesn't leave my house. It gets five stars for value, 4 stars for connectivity in today's digital world. I have the NAD T750 with: NHT Super Ones and Super Center (fronts) NHT Super Zeros (rear surrounds) NHT SW2P 10" subwoofer with amp stack Sony CDP-XE500 CD transport w/digital outs Toshiba SD2200 DVD player Parasound PPH100 phono pre-amp Soundstream DAC-1 Digital-analog converter Harmon Kardan T40 turntable with Grace F9 "ruby" cartridge Sony and JVC VHS decks Monster audio connectors, speaker cables and power strip

Similar Products Used:

Sony, Proton, older NAD 2-channel receivers

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Dec 31, 2002]
Guloe
Casual Listener

Strength:

Excellent value for money with great clear sound.

With a limited budget and an even more limited choice of products I found the T750. What a bargain. Wanting a home theatre that could double as a audio system, I was very impressed with what the NAD could do. So much so that it's used has changed to listening CD daily and movies weakly. I have a set of Mission 700 series speakers with the NAD and a Yamaha cd player. The clarity of sound is phenominal even when turning up the volume(by remote). Never tuned up to more than 12:00

Similar Products Used:

Pioneer, Yamaha

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Oct 24, 2002]
John Brunsdon
Casual Listener

Strength:

Sound, sound & sound. It's also that big & plug ugly that it looks far more expensive than it really was.

Weakness:

LEDs on the controls might be nice. An after market NAD plug-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder would be VERY welcome.

Having run the aging NAD 3020 for the last 20 years, I wanted a similar amp with more inputs & 5.1 output. Found the T750 as a mail-order return at 1/3 list price. What a steal! Same understated but faultless performance as the 3020. The MUSIC comes through whereas with most amplifiers you are aware that you are listening to a hi-fi set up. Pity there's no digital-in & onboard decoder but that's probably what gives it the clarity. I can't understand what the fuss is about the remote. It's that heavy that it is obviously well made & the sharp corners make it easy to locate when you sit on it in the dark.

Similar Products Used:

Japanese things with lots of pretty lights.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Jun 25, 2002]
Brian Larman
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good starter receiver, pre outs, 5.1 input, remote functions with other NAD units,

Weakness:

Mechanical volume knob doesn't allow LCD display, no light on volume knob to indicate level in the dark.

By far the best receiver in it's price range. This receiver was the first one I purchased, when I was 17, and I doubt I'll ever sell it. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is for S-Video In/Outs, and Digital processing. Right now, I'm using it with an NAD T550 DVD player, Linn Keosa fronts, Mordaunt-Short 905C centre, and an NAD 513 CD player. Combined with the T550, this receiver is like magic. I can barely notice a difference when using the 5.1 inputs Vs. the onboard decoder in the T751. In terms of power, I firmly believe there's enough here. I can literally shake the entire house without distortion at high volumes, and have never needed to raise the volume past 2/3. The tuner is excellent, and clearly receives signals even in it's basement location. The only problem I've ever had is with the mechanical volume knob, but it was easily fixed with a little cleaning.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Mar 04, 2002]
WadeDwyer
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound, period. I agree with the reviewer below that sights the tremendous soundstage. All channels are presented dynamically and the noise floor on my system is tremendously low. Enough technical justification - the sound is beautiful.

Weakness:

The reviews here seem to split on the power issue. I am one of those who do think that this receiver could use MORE power. The receiver is entirely more than adequate on an efficient AR speaker system that I run at school but is noticably less ballsy when powering the less efficient Infinity 5.1 setup I use at home. On the other hand, I have noticed that this receiver WILL play as loud as the more powerful and lower quality receivers that I have experienced in the past - perhaps I am deceived by the fact that this receiver (while exceptionally clear) does not present highs as overly bright (as others often do). The equally high volumes of this receiver compared to cheaper counterparts are MUCH less tiring to the ears - hence my position that more power wouldn''t hurt. (However, don''t be fooled by the heavily understated power ratings).

An absolutely superb sounding stereo/theatre receiver. Pristine and detailed sound that isn''t thinned out as I have noticed with most affordable recievers. No useless DSP modes, just good clean amplification.

Similar Products Used:

Various HK, Onkyo, Sony, Technics, Pioneer and other receivers

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Feb 07, 2002]
gerryish
AudioPhile

Strength:

Excellent in stereo, best in its class!! . Accepts 5.1 input.

Weakness:

Power, but easily cured with power amps.

The Nad T750 in my set-up was used in conjunction with a Sony DVP 735 DVD with built in DD/DTS decoding. The sound stage in produced was massive, with each detail delivered with accuracy and refinement. Power can be a little lacking when pushed to its limit with DVD blockbusters, but I added an ARCAM 8P power amp and have never looked back. I have a Marantz CD600ose and in straight stereo this amp wipes the competion aside. No other home cinema amp, at the class, is so dedicated to serious music, as well as movies. Buy with confidence, if you require top notch DVD''s but require great music too!

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha, Sony.

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Oct 05, 2000]
Kirk Knittle
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Two channel listening, Pro-logic capabilites, easy to use

Weakness:

adequate build quality, no learning remote,

I bought this with the intention of using my DVD player's dolby digital decoding through the 5.1 input of the NAD. The problem that came up was that the 5.1 inputs does not conrol speaker settings. You can adjust speakers setting through the NAD video inputs, but you can't with the 5.1 input. Some DVD players that provide decoding allow for speaker volume and distance settings--such as the Panasonic, but not Toshiba.

My solution to this was to buy a different reciever for home video. However, I did keep the NAD becuase it does sound very good on music and it does have superior pro-logic decoding. It does not sound like your ordinary receiver. It sound very much like your typical NAD intergrated amp, but with the bonus of a good tuner and pro-logic decoding. It sound very smooth, detailed and three-dimensional. I must make a point that it sounds much better as a preamp than a receiver or intergrated amp. The amp built in is alright, but hook this up to an upper level amp--such as a Parasound, B&K or Rotel, and you will get a nice two channel sound that you can live with as our music only system.

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha RV-992

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[May 10, 2000]
T.P.
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound and Power

Weakness:

lousy remote, anemic features, wierd DSP

I recently sold my very dependable Onkyo 575 (a fine receiver for those of you who may be interested). I was feeling adventurous so I picked up a used NAD T 750 from Steven Chang in CA (excellent transaction). IMHO, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

This unit is a stereo amplifier, and a fine one at that. I consider the superb ANALOG Pro-Logic Circuitry, 5.1 inputs, and dedicated Sub Preouts to be Home Theatre "Bonuses" that NAD threw in. Stereo sound is better than ANY receiver my ears have ever heard. Pro-Logic Sound (I'm not kidding you) with HDCD/MP3 is unbelievably lifelike, although I have no idea how tracks that are not encoded with DPL can sound so marvelous. Any other unit I've heard attempt to reproduce normal music in Pro-Logic sounds like someone stuffed cotton into my ears. Soundstage is lifelike in a crappy, cluttered dorm room. I cannot wait to bring the unit home for the summer. Absolutely heavenly match to my Krix KDX speakers.

The unit has taught me much about POWER RATINGS. My Aiwa Mini-system was 100 wpc. I thought is pretty neat at the time. Then I bought the conservatively rated Onkyo 575, and realized that 70 Onkyo watts was much heftier than any Sony, Kenwood, Aiwa, or even H/K rated at 100 watts+. My NAD is rated at 60 wpc (30 wpc to the rears) and blows the doors off of the Onkyo! No joke. I've never taken the volume dial past 10:30, and that is driving horribly inefficient (86dbl) bookshelf speakers. The musical range is also superior. I cannot help but wonder if other modern day recievers rely to heavily on subwoofers for bass reproduction, and cut corners in accurate 2 ch stereo mode. My Krix's use 5 inch drivers, and air they displace while driven by the NAD is nearly enough to launch them right off the stands.

One gripe, the remote is worthless. The "HALL" DSP is okay, but my surrounds have a way of cutting out when switching DSP modes, perhaps I have a short somewhere...

Final Verdict: A. I took a gamble with this British manufacturer. It paid off. If NAD is really this good, I may have found the last brand I'll ever buy.

Similar Products Used:

Onkyo TX-DS 575, H/K AVR 55

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[Feb 20, 2000]
Sean
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Warm detailed sound, plenty of current, simple elegant looks.

Weakness:

The remote only operates Nad equipment

I purchased this reciever about 2 months ago at a very generous discount. It appears that everyone now wants Dolby Digital which is great for me. I currently have the reciever driving a pair of Magnepan MMG's (as you may know, among the least efficient speakers available 86db, 4ohms). The T750 has no problem driving them. In fact, I find the sound wonderfully warm and detailed. I will eventually want a little more power. Fortuately, the T750 makes this easy with pre outs to connect to a larger amp.. I couldn't be happier. Rush out and get on of these gems while everyone still has their heads buried in digital.

Similar Products Used:

Denon Receivers

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
[May 28, 2000]
David Coquet
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Amazing sound quality, simplicity and build quality.

Weakness:

Remote is goofy. No LED on the volume dial.

I walked into the hi-fi store with full intentions of buying a stereo NAD C340. I saw the T750 discounted over 50%. I asked the salesman why and he claim that people will only buy dolby digital receivers now. I hadn't even considered buying a surround receiver since I use my system about 90% for music and 10% movies. I didn't even audition this thing, I just bought it and took it home.

I swapped out the aging Yamaha receiver and put my home made reference CD in the Marantz CD player. Before I even made it to the couch I could tell the diffence. The detail just seemed to jump right out at you.

I thought I test out the pro-logic capabilities so I hooked it up the DVD decoder card in my PC and watched a couple movies. It worked beautifully, even in phantom mode without a center channel.

Consider this unit perfect for the audio enthusiast who likes to watch the occassional movie.

Because of the awkward remote and the lack of a LED on the volume dial, I'm nore sure it deserved a 5 overall. I'd give it a 4.75.

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha and Marantz receivers

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
Showing 1-10 of 20  

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.

audioreview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

Other Web Sites in the ConsumerReview Network:

mtbr.com | roadbikereview.com | carreview.com | photographyreview.com | audioreview.com