Marantz SR4500 A/V Receivers

• Multi room / single source system
  • SRS TruSurround headphone
  • Solid metal front panel

Mainul Haque   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 31, 2006]
Strength:

Easy to use...specially the Remote Control. You can use its remote with your DVD player, TV and Amp together. Also its look..........

The amp is pretty big as you won't be able to notice on the display pic. Treble is vey high.

I love to listen to Loud music Specially when I play some action movies........and I tell U its AMAZING !!!!!! Within this price range you won't get nothing better than this. It is one of the best Amp I had so far.......it has replaced my Harmon Kardon with 100% satisfaction.

Customer Service

I have bought from somewhere else.

Similar Products Used: None.
nicopineda   AudioPhile [Mar 21, 2006]
Strength:

Good power reserves. Drives any type of speakers. Well balanced on audio and home theater. Moderately priced. Very good build and quality. Very warm, clear sound.

None at this price range.

Very well balanced receiver. Good for audio and home theater applications. Moderately priced at this power range. Very useful features. Can deliver enormous amount of power and can drive almost any speaker. Handles any type of music and movies very well. Excellently built receiver. Superior amplifier section. Remote control needs improvement.

Customer Service

Have not gone to it yet.

Similar Products Used: Denon, Pioneer, Harman-Kardon, Sansui, Onkyo, Rotel, NAD
accastil   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 23, 2006]
Strength:

overall sound is nice, easy to operate

a bit bright especially when used for hT

a bit bright especially on HT. lacks power during HT. overall sound is nice

Similar Products Used: hk, yamaha, pioneer, rotel
johnt1974   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 27, 2005]
Strength:

An excellent amplifier section: (all 5-channels driven simultaneously) Marantz SR4500: 74.4 W @ 0.1% THD Denon AVR-2105: 62.4 W @ 0.1% THD Reference: Home Theater Magazine www.hometheatermag.com The low end Marantz outperforms the more expensive Denon AVR-2105 (MSRP $650). Has all current algorithms for decoding 5.1 and 7.1 channel surround sound (Dolby and DTS). Has a Pure Direct Mode (bypasses all tone controls and sound processing) that is very useful when listening to music.

None at this price point. NAD AV receivers have excellent amp sections (better than Marantz), but accodring to online reviews tend to have reliability problems.

Overall an excellent AV receiver. The amplification section is excellent (see Strenghts). Has all DTS and Dolby decoding algorithms for 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound. Does not have all of the bells (such as component upconversion and automatic speaker calibration), but missing these features is a minor point. Almost as musical as my NAD C320BEE integrated amp, which I use for stereo recordings. The Marantz SR4500 is being replaced by the SR4600. The SR4600 has all of the SR4500 features plus HDCD decoding and a detachable power cord. I purchased the Marantz SR4500 for $275 at clearance. I could not justify the extra $125 for HDCD decoding because my CD player is hooked to a NAD C320BEE for stereo recordings.

Similar Products Used: Onkyo, Denon
bogart   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 04, 2005]
Strength:

Design and built, 7.1ch and advance features like DTS Neo, Dolby ProLogic IIx, massive El-type transformer and DS processor.

SW preout, perhaps due to a factory defect, too much heat generated by the transformer, poor technical support and no speakers A/B switching and loudness.

I bought this receiver in Dubai and used it with my polk audio monitor series speakers. The sound was very good, clear, raw and likewise the design and the technology. The only thing I don't like is when I tried to connect my sub in the SW preout, it doesn't have an audio signal. I called the store and even the tech support of Marantz, but there's nothing that they can do about the problem. So as a remedy, I connected my sub in the cd lineout to get this things work.

Similar Products Used: Pioneer Kenwood
yossarian   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 15, 2005]
Strength:

Liquid and detailed sound, solidly built.

Poor user menus, sub-par remote, overall ergonomics need improvement.

This is my first piece of Marantz equipment. I know of their reputation for musical receivers, and I was very taken with the hardware features on this model (7.1 preouts, coax and toslink ins and outs, all current surround formats). I hooked it up the other night and became immediately frustrated by the SR4500's user menus... I found them to be not the least bit intuitive. After about an hour I was finally able to get some sound out of the thing- and the sound was great. Very liquid, detailed sound stage. I could immediately see where the reputation for musicality comes from. Given the difficult menus though, I can't recommend this receiver for someone who wants ease of use- definitely not a unit to buy for your parents. I've been using the Denon AVR-1801 up to this point, and while that model is a small notch lower on musicality, it's light years better ergonomically. I especially now appreciate Personal Memory Plus, which lets the user set different channel volume and tone settings for EVERY input. Marantz engineers, while arguably kicking ass on sound (which is obviously of chief importance) really need to get it together on their setup options. All in all, a great sounding receiver, but for tech guys only.