Kenwood KR-V7080 A/V Receivers

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 09, 2004]
guywithtruck
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Long lasting performance, two poloarized outlets, stereo sound quality, build quality and adjustable sound fields.

Moderate bass (not enough), no digital decoders and it is not 100x5 in surround mode.

The Kenwood KR-V7080 is a good receiver. This unit is really, really out of date, but it still to this day works great for stereo sound. I don't use it every day anymore, but when I hook this thing up, it's fine. It has a Dolby Pro Logic decoder, but that is it. There is not a Dolby Digital or dts decoder in this receiver. I just used it a few weeks ago for a party at my apartment. Works perfectly. The deal is 100 x 3 for the main and center channels, and a weak 30 x 2 for the rear channels. Hooking up an inexpensive sub using the line level input took care of the low bass problem. There are several settings that are used with music and movies, and they do enhance the sound. If you are looking for a simple stereo receiver, this is perfect if you can find one. Chances are it will be extremely cheap. The sound in two channel mode is still incredible. If you are looking for a home theater receiver, obviously there are much better choices available today.

Sony, JVC.

[Feb 07, 2002]
mutha fukka
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

great

great

a hlluva ass banging amp!

peenis enlarger

[Nov 18, 1997]
Abe Marmer
an Audio Enthusiast

It's a clock radio compared to my new carver 705 amp and ct-28 preamp. I had a kr-v7080 then a kvr-8080 with dolby digital, the 7080 was terrible. I have a velodyne subwoofer and when connected would hum like no tomorrow. The 808 was better but still nowhere near the carver. Save some money and buy something worth getting.

[Feb 17, 2000]
Chuck
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

None that I have ever found!

Lets start down below...

My god! The unit has no bass, at all. NONE, even when it(the bass) is turned up all the way. When it gets to higher volumes, not only is it distorted, but it's sounds muffled and starts to annoy anyone who knows what real hifi is. The surround modes are allow you to suround yourself with static and distortion 360 degrees. Just my 2 cents. I can see however that this would be a good unit for someone who is on a tight budget such as a student, or otherwise. Where the quality of sound isn't an issue.

Similar Products Used:

Nothing this crappy. My new real equipment is all Harman/Kardon.

[Jan 15, 2001]
steve
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

will put some pretty good sound

low bass, center speaker is to dominating even when turned all the down, too little bass

an all around pretty good receiver, but missing bass brings away from the value of the stereo

[May 02, 1997]
jason
an Audio Enthusiast

I've had my Kenwood for over a year now(actually the 8070), and it still cranks. I will definitely by Kenwood again. Sounds great in any mode, whether listening to music or watching a movie.

[Jul 15, 1999]
MEHGAHLO VIZYAH
an Audio Enthusiast

WE HAVE TH KR-8080 FOR 6 MONTHS NOW...IT IS THE BEST VALUE FOR THE MONEY,,,IT IS ONE OF THE BEST RECEIVERS OUT THERE AT THIS TIME AND IT IS NOT FLIMSY AS SOME OF THE OTHERE REVIEWS CLAIM IT IS.

[Jun 06, 1999]
Michael
an Audio Enthusiast

Okay... here's my deal. I have the KR-V7070... I originally bought the 6070, then the 7070 while in college (about 3 years ago)... I looked at it side by side with the 7080 and the 8080 and really didn't find much sound difference or additional features to justify the price difference, which at the time amounted to about $250 betwen the three - more than I had while in school.
I will say, though, that with a decent set of speakers (I have Kenwoods rear(60W each) and center(100W) and some mid-size EPI fronts) I am getting sound as good as or better than my friend's brand new Sony Digital DTS system - and I don't even have a sub yet (although I am looking at the Phase Technology's Power10).

While the 7070 is not quite up to THX specs, I had heard that when Kenwood built this model, they used many of the same components as in their THX certified unit, but didn't pay for certification on all of their units to make them more accessible. Don't know how true that is, but I have heard THX...and it's better...but not THAT much better.

I have heard few home systems to rival the sound I get out of this one. I give it...FIVE STARS!!

[Nov 08, 1998]
Dave Sinton
an Audiophile

I've been a "pro-sound" system designer & installer for the past 12 years. People are always commenting that I must have the "best system going". The Kenwood KR-V7080 fills my needs very well... The bass is incredible when connected to something serious such as a BGW power-amp and an Altec 15" sub.front stage is handled by a pair of Wharfdale 2ways (8" & mylar tweeter). Rear fill is processed through a unique pair of TOA "triangles" (the model # eludes me). All in all the Kenwood is excellent value for the bucks!

[Jul 19, 1998]
Mark

Kenwood skimps on thier amps,build quality is bad,no headroom at all,and no bass what so ever,these products are for the most casual of listeners,,,