JVC RX-888VBK A/V Receivers

RX-888VBK

DD/DTS Receiver

Sean McCarlsbad   AudioPhile [Dec 12, 2012]

I've had this 12 years - This unit has NEVER failed me. I worked for a pro-audio company and bought this when the theft of my TOL Sony had occurred.

Almost every negative comment in the dozens I read referred to units bought used (usually on Ebay, thus being packed and shipped by amateurs) or reviewers that didn't convey that they know how to route wires, etc...

This unit is now used to amplify lightpipe (optical digital), coaxal digital, PCM (sourced from digital players along with an external sound box for my computer (both Emu and Digidesign). I keep the connectors clean with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I vacuum the unit and keep air circulation open (using NSF wire shelving its entire life).

The only negative is the long, drawn out menu selection process.

I use MONOPRICE speaker cables, 12AWG OFC (the skinning effect being considered, I use this for everything), Monoprice OFC RCA and coax lines. My lightpipe/opticals are all Philips (got a great deal on them). I have put the Monoprice on all sorts of test equipment and I can honestly say that their stuff performs just as well as Monster Cable like product vs. like product.

Unlike many systems nowadays, these amplifiers put out close-to-genuine RMS ratings, not just pie-in-the-sky peaks. That can be bad for thin wires and crappy speakers. The slew and damping rates are strong and consistent with quality American-made AB amps. This unit has pushed everything from Infinity 12" 3-way towers, Carvin 822s and PM5s, Teac surround speakers, Yamaha NS10s...

Being that this review is 9 years after the most recent ones, I think that the RX-888v BK has withstood the test of time. The DSP chip in this unit is still popular with recording engineers restoring old reverbs so popular with Capitol and Columbia recordings from the dawn of stereo.

Ron   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 19, 2003]
Strength:

with a little tinkering got the sound the way I like it crisp highs and shakin bass.

runs hot,not enough digital inputs(I need 3)component video inputs.

Alot of the complaints I've read haven't happened to me.I have owned this receiver(RX 888 VBK) for over 3 years and it has never let me down.The music pounds and the movies shake,it was perfect for me 3 years ago but now its time for upgrade.

Similar Products Used: JVC components,nuance speakers,sony big screen.
DJJamieJ   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

Good power, Good Features.

Caught fire for no reason, Surround Sound no longer working.

I bought this receiver off of ebay and used it for about 6 months and one day I came home to this odd burning smell. I tracked it down to my JVC receiver that was smoking very badly. I was shocked because the receiver was not on it was simply in standby mode. After I unplugged after a few hours I tried to see if it still worked everything was fine until I tried to use my surround sound then no sound.

Similar Products Used: Sony, Denon, JVC, Yamaha
jwyoung   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 07, 2003]
Strength:

Good looking, great sound, very nicely integrated with other JVC gear.

Remote has no learning capability.

Very nice receiver for a modern JVC model. Nice loud sound, easy to use and nicely featured. This is my first Dolby Digital receiver and I was very pleased to discover that I could get JVC's vaunted K2 Interface AND Dynamic Super-A amps without getting the far more expensive 1028. I also have the 301 minidisc unit and I love the Tex-Compulink feature enabling the receiver to display the song titles of my CDs and MDs.

Similar Products Used: JVC RX-905, RX-807, RX-901.
Dave V   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 09, 2000]
Strength:

Nice looking unit, pretty good remote, reasonable price

Some hiss and noise, tone controls limited and inconvenient to use

My primary reason for buying a new receiver was for home theater, dolby digital playback with my Toshiba 2008 DVD player. Fortunately, I would have to say that the DD performance of this receiver is its strong suit. DD DVDS for the most part sound great. My only real complaint in DD playback is sometimes the center channel hiss is sufficiently audible to be annoying. It is true that some of this Hiss is attributable to the source material. Star Trek:First Contact for example sound fantastic with only a small amount of audible center channel hiss at the listening position. Die Hard,on the other exibits so much center channel hiss that it is difficult to watch. This occurs at event moderate listening levels.Now my DVD player only has a coaxial connection for its digital output, so I can't say what difference if any would be afforded by an optical connection.
As many other have said here, it does seem that you have to crank the volume up much higher than you would think you should to accheive adequate volume. I have to turn it up to 50-55 to listen to a movie at moderate volume, and 60-65 still really isn't that loud. I've made sure the load selector is in the 8-16 ohm position so as not to limit power, but doesnt seem to matter. My speakers are fairly efficient too, so I suspect the power ratings for this receiver are overstated.
Music listening was not my primary reason for buying this receiver, but I must say its performance in this area is a disappointment. I was replacing a several year old dolby surround only (not even pro-logic) Pioneer VSX-3600, a low tier model, but in regular CD listening the Pioneer outperforms the JVC-better sounding with more perceived power though only rated at 100 watts. The Pioneer doesnt exibit hiss in the rear channels as the JVC does.
I like the remote of the JVC quite a bit. Nice feel and layout. Good ability to control sound levels of all channels from the remote.
In my opinion, if your main use is home theater, the JVC is worth considering. It has a ton of features at a moderate price. If not for the hiss in surround channels, most notably the all important center channel, this receiver would rate a 5 for HT use. For music, I can only give it a 3. As the unit performs overall in my system, I give it a 3. If I had to do it over again, I would pick a different receiver, such as the Onkyo 575. The Onkyo has fewer features, but lower THD and less hiss which is more important to me.

Joe   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 13, 2000]
Strength:

Lots of features for the price

No DVD player codes in remote!!!

I've had the unit since Thanksgiving and have had zero problems. Sound is clean from DVD Dolby Digital sources, CDs and HDCDs. I am using the Toshiba SD3109 for playback of all three, via the digital OPTICAL connection, with a pair of JBL SVA 1800s as fronts, with SVA 1500s as centers/rears. Like another reviewer, I purchased this unit from ecost.com for $352, delivered. Great unit for the price!

Steve   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2000]
Strength:

Good power and plenty of features

Static at higher volume but would have to really have to crank it up to ear splitting level to hear it.

I replaced an older Denon model with this and could not be more pleased. It almost has too many features.

Carl   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 14, 2000]
Strength:

This unit has all the features of much higher priced units and is very affordable. Quality so far seems above average.

Remote is a little akward and does not control all fnctions on other components. That's why i just purchased a pronto remote.

Great overall reciever that gives all the necessary and extra A/V features at a very affordable price.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha, Sharp and many years ago NAD.
Dave   Audiophile [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

Power , Clarity ,ease of use and excellent decoding when veiwing VHS Movies

Owners Manual

This is one awesome unit it takes a while to setup, but once it is setup you couldn't find a better system for the money.
I've tried the Pioneer , Kenwood ,Onkyo , Harman Kardon and Sony A/V recievers just in the last two months and this one has all the options that I needed and wanted and then some. I am using a set of Klipsch 2.1's for the fronts and set of jbl satellites (3)for the center and rears and a DCM 10inch powered sub woofer I'll probably be changing the center and rears to Klipsch also when the wife gives the ok but with everything setup the way it is now , IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! I don't crank it up real high when viewing movies due to the constant volume changes so around 55-60 is where I keep it and everyone seems to enjoy it at that level so I am more then happy with it and I have recommended it to two of my friends and they seem to be very pleased also!