Denon AVR-3000 A/V Receivers

Flagship Dolby Pro-logic Reciever

USER REVIEWS

[Aug 18, 2020]
AVR3000

Strength:

I own this receiver for almost 30 years. I once wanted to get rid of it because I have another newer receiver for my system. But I changed my mind to keep it for 2-channel stereo listening. The sound is clear, crisp and solid. Unfortunately, I made a mistake that somehow I broke it. I wanted to turn up the volume for my speakers. Maybe my speakers were short-circuited. When I was turning the volume control up, the reciever suddenly made the cracking sound through the speakers for about 1-2 seconds and it shut off. It cannot not be turned on any more. I tried unplugging and replugging the power cord, pressing the power switch with some other buttoms the same time, etc. It just does not want to turn back on. However, the LED on the master volume control is lit or flashing. Can anyone rescue my AVR-3000? Does anyone know what causes the receiveer not turning on? Is there any solution to fix my problem. Much appreciate it. My con tact: avava_vav at y a h o o dot c o m.

Outdated technology for today's world

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1992
[Dec 05, 2008]
Kent
Casual Listener

Strength:

Very powerful

NO NO and NO

This is the best receiver. They put a crazy lion in there. You can use this to drive any high power speakers. They are so powerful. The sound is so incredible.

[Jul 24, 2006]
putitupmike
Casual Listener

Strength:

Lots of cleanpower from what I hear

Non e to speak of

A true upgrade from my 30 year old Kenwood, it will be driving my Klipsch's and wowing me and my neighbors. I willwrite more when I get it all set up and functioning. It did not come with a manual. I have checked Denon and a couple of sites for maunaus but no luck. Any help here? I will gradly pay for a copy or even info from anotherDenon amp with simular buttons. LOL.
Mike at putitupmike@sbcglobal.net. Many thanks and happy listening.

Customer Service

No manuals, no help.

Kenwood

[Jul 21, 2006]
Michael
Casual Listener

Strength:

Power and clarity

None known as of yet

I bought this fine tuner a few onths ago and it drives my Klipsch's wild. I replaced a nice old Kenwood which had 85 watts per and at 110 this thing is baddddd. Last night i waited until it cooled off and opened a living room window and used teh lawnmower. The music was screaming and my neighbors asked about my Blues Breaker album. They even loved it from 40 feet, through a screened window and I sware you could hear Mick Taylor sliding along the bridge like you were in the front row. I love this thing. It did not come with a manual and there are a ton of features I still don't know about. Anyone help? It would be sooo appreciated. Thanks, Mike at putitupmike@sbcglobal.net

Customer Service

Non-existant for it'[s age

NOthing

[Dec 29, 2003]
Cleveland
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Incredible Openness and Air, Very life-like sound, Defined Bass and Mids with excellent detail in all spectrums, Made in Japan unlike the current A/V's on the market, Rated Stereophil Class A, Huge Power Reserves that would easily drive Magnepan's, Built like a Hummer H1, It's too bad they don't make them like this anymore.

I really can't think of any, this receiver is far superior to anything currently on the market under $2000 and maybe more?

Hello, I am the new and very proud owner of this absolutely awesome receiver that I bought used at an auction. It should be called an amp though not a receiver. When I read that it had a Toroidal amp from one of the other reviews I thought the guy didn't know what one looked like, I mean how could a receiver especially a surround receiver have a Toroidal, that's something usually only found on very expensive amps. But was I pleasantly shocked to see that this receiver does have a Toroidal amp and it is a HUGE one and a high quality one at that!! I have been reading reviews and listening to different A/V receivers for the past 2 years in search of the ever elusive perfect A/V receiver that would sound close to my 2 channel gear. After buying at least 3 nice receivers that did not do justice to Music at all, I am glad to say that the road stops here. This is better than any Current A/V receiver that I have listened to except for maybe the Denon AVR-5803 and the NAD T-762, but I would bet my house that it would be very close sonicly and definitely built better than the NAD. Seriously, the AVR-3000 is as close to 2 channel seperates as I have heard and I've heard alot. This amp sounds so open with voices and is sweet with female vocals. Acoustics have excellent body and you can feel the pluck of a guitar string like it is in the room with you. Bass is clean, articulate and deep. I really can't put in words how great this amp really sounds. As for William that gave the AVR-3000 a 2 star rating was either drunk when he wrote his review or is Tone Def. This piece is built like none that I've seen and is so Musical I get excited just thinking how lucky I am to have this receiver. I was very skeptical about the reviews here but I'm glad I took the leap of faith and bought this beauty. If you can find this on Ebay or Audiogon.con jump on it. I'm honestly suprised that this receiver is selling for around $400-500 dollars. It is a steal for $800 in my opinion and I would not sell mine for $800. If Music Matters most to you and A/V is secondary you owe it to yourself to own this receiver you'll be glad you did and you'll save yourself a couple grand because that's what it will cost to match it sonicly. The AVR-3000 RULES!!!!

Similar Products Used:

2 channel: Musical Fidelity amps, Adcom pre-pro combos, Bryston, Denon-2000R, Electrocompaniet 5 Channel Receivers: Onkyo TX SR601, Integra DTR-8.3, Denon AVR-3803

[Jul 26, 2003]
Crazy_Canuck311
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Learning remote, and simplified remote (Both work very well) Raw power. dual center channel ouputs+ A&B Main speaker outputs. enough inputs to keep you happy (About 9) Includes S-Video inputs & outputs :) Warmth of music. plenty enough DSP's And DPL settings to keep you anolog happy. 5 speaker ouputs+ one mono. Pre-amp+Power-amp outputs (Plenty of upgrade possibities. good tuner section. Price used! All in all this is a fantastic unit, If you get the chance then go for it!

Really brings out the faults in your other components (But the wonderfull sounding amp compensates for it...Sorta), And CD players that sound good with this will probably start the wallet at around $1000. No Dolby DTS :( Or Dolby Digital...Or even a 5.1 channel anolog input. somewhat bulky, but looks pretty darn nice for a Big Reciever. Actually, it looks really nice. Volume with the remote goes up waay to fast at low levels.

I won't call myself an Audiophile, Because that will just make me seem like I’m full of myself. But I will say that I’m not a newcomer in the world of Audio Reproduction. I was planning on making a decent stereo for my basement recroom, Seeing that I have done a lot of work to it and have found myself spending a considerable amount of time there. I wanted something somewhat simple, my three other stereo's all consist of separates, But here I was looking for a simple Receiver/CD player/Speakers setup. Well I had an Onkyo Integra dx-706 CD player lying around, So that took care of the source. I also had an old pair of Infinity RS6b's. Now these infinity’s I have become very attached to and have spent countless hours listing to, Along with complete inner re-wiring, new capacitates, and a wonderful new Seas P21-RE 8 inch driver (Long break-in, and retail for about $400, But very well worth the time/money) Regardless I had all these components ready and was just looking for the amp. I had plenty of time, and time is what I took Within time Creative Audio (Fantastic store!!!) got there hands on a used Denon AVR-3000. I found out about it but was not feeling up to going to give it a listen. So I decided to do some research on it. Other than the one review my Mr. Nguyen, Everyone seemed to be pretty damn impressed with this Japanese machine. I went to the store to give it a shot. (Somewhat bulky machine) I was impressed enough (it was not a very long listing, they were closing and I wasn't worried about it, If i didn't like it I could take it back the next day...Like so many times before lol) Regardless I took it home and hooked it up to the Infinity’s...HOLY **** This thing just blew me off my feet. I had never heard sound like that come out of my well aged Infinity’s! I was truly impressed! I will talk about the sound quality in a moment, but I’d like to say something that I would usually only be heard stressing on in my younger days...That's a lot of darn power! The brute power that comes out of this thing (for $350) Is a serious amount. I'd have no worry in bringing this upstairs to power my massive Martin Logan’s. I'm not a huge fan of receivers, and don't bother listing to many, but take it from me. This thing really will make you want to throw in some KISS and crank it right up! And that's one of the first thing I did. I'm not seen playing as much rock as I do jazz and all that, Other then some good Canadian stuff like the Tragically Hip And The Bare Naked Ladies. But this thing could control the urge, in went KISS and up went the volume. It was about 2:00 in the morning when I did this and the neighbors came knocking on my door within a few minutes (I didn't hear about it till the next day, Music was to loud to hear the doorbell lol) SO that's that...Plenty of darn power. Next is the actual quality. I didn't try that out till the following day. First thing I put in was Eric Clapton's unplugged. This receiver brought out every pluck on Eric’s guitar, you could hear every hand clap separately, and till the very last one. To this day I feel this Cd, brings out some of the best in this receiver. Warmth comes very naturally to it. I've played a variety of live recordings, and i think that is were this amp tends to shine. recordings such as the bare naked ladies live and jazz at the pawnshop all trully come alive with this amplifier. I can't express enough how much I would recomend this amp, I'm running out of room so all i'll say is, If you don't really need DTS or DD (music listeners don't) then please, buy this amp, I assure you won't regret it. And actually, the surround technolgy in it is very impressive for it's age.

Similar Products Used:

To many to name, You name it, I've listened to it.

[Oct 10, 2002]
William Nguyen
AudioPhile

Strength:

Can't think of now

What can I say?

I don't have this receiver. My brother does. He bought this one about almost 10 years ago. He uses this receiver to run a bulky pair of JBL speakers along with an EQ. With the EQ, it sounds bad, but withour it, it's worse. I know the shorter the circuit is, the better the speakers sound, but with the look and sound of this receiver, I don't mind to test it. At first I thought the problem was the speakers. But one day my brother brought another Denon home, I think it's AVR-1000, and the little one sounds much better than its bigger brother. Without the sound quality for music, plus no DTS and DD, I won't buy it at any price. I saw one at The Goodguys as a demo at 200 back a few years ago, but it's not worth a second look.

Seperates, current models Yamaha and Denon recievers

[Oct 09, 2002]
hvymtl6988
AudioPhile

Strength:

Awesome amplifier section, flexible DSP modes, plenty of connection hook ups

Remote takes getting used to, wish there was an easier way to upgrade to 5.1

I've owned quite a few different receivers and I was having trouble finding one with high quality amplification. I owned a couple of recent Yamahas and a couple of recent Pioneers and they were okay but it seemed the features and digital processing took priority over a high quality amplifier section. A friend of mine told me about a receiver he had run across and wanted me to take a look at it. When I first saw it, I knew it would be a beast. A look inside revealed a toroidal transformer and huge extruded heat sinks and before I ever heard it I knew that this is what I'm been looking for. After I got it home and hooked it up, I put in a CD and turn the volume up to about 9 o'clock and was blown away. This is by far the best sounding receiver I've ever heard. In fact, I gave up Dolby Digital and DTS processing to have SOUND QUALITY. I have no regrets considering I got a good deal on this receiver and I would have to spend at least $2000 to have a 5.1 channel model of equal quality. My budget is a little too tight so I made the sacrifice. It was definitely worth it.

Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Kenwood

[Feb 28, 2002]
islhopr
AudioPhile

Strength:

1) Class A amp Specs, Dynamic Range, Classic Denon Dependability (C other Reviews Of lenght of ownership) 2) Can be used as a 40''Yacht Tie Down Weight, But I would probably Let the yacht sink first :)

Of course does not have Dolby Digital, or DTS, But for Audiophile Listening, that is an advantage. 1) The unit has two remotes, One can be a little confussing, to new owners. 2) They do NOT make this unit ANYMORE!

I was in the Audio Video Industry for many years, and had the pleasure to listen too, and use many different types of recievers. I am not tooting my horn, by I have been praised over my ability to pick out even the snallest differences in sound quality of many differnt recievers. I consider myself very knowagable on making recommends. When this Reciever came out, Denon gave us a lot of inside vendor information, on how the reciever was built, and were informed it was built to Class A Specs. Anyone who owns one That I have spoken with over the years, would be more than happy to give away their right arm, than to part with it. I have been comparing most of all the newer recievers on the market recently, with all the nice lille perks added to them. Which brings up their selling price point. With maybe the exception of the AVR-5700, and AVR-5800, I have not heard one that has the dynamic range, or clarity of the AVR-3000. Granted, it does not have built in Dolby Digital, DTS, or have an on-screen menu system, but for the real audiophiles out there, they know the more ya add, the more you can take away from the overall sound quality. After great consideration, I made the decision to purchase this reciever, on sound quality, and dynamic range vs perks. I prefer attaching an external decoder to the unit, so I can bypass it at will, and not have any built in distortion, or loss of dynamic renge, but still have the ability to us Dolby Digital, and DTS, when needed. I had the resources to buy pretty much anything out there I wanted within reason, but could not justify spending the cash for a 5700, or 5800 when the sound quality, and dynamic range of the AVR-3000 is almost Nil compared to them, at least to my ears, which I have trusted now close to 20 years, and have been seldom wrong. (pat On Back) ;-) I may seem a little arrorgant, but most of us audiophiles are! I became a little unhappy with Denon, stepping away from they values of putting sound quality and construction first, vs Perks and price points, so it took me a long time to decide to upgrade from my older Denon Seperates. Yes I said seperates! This reciever puts most other brands seperates to shame, and I can say that from a professial audio standpoint. The denon seperates that I had were mid 80''s, and it took me this long to finally let them go! Shows ya older Denon Dependability

Similar Products Used:

Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Parasound, B&K, Mcintoish, Rotel, Carver, and pretty much everthing else worth mentioning. One of the Perks from previously woking in the industry

[Feb 04, 2002]
thomas ray
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

clean and powerful

remote and the volume knob will come off

This receiver has clean sound and power.I Have cerwin vega vs 150s 400 watts and they are a perfect match.

onkyo