Denon AVR-1603 A/V Receivers

AVR-1603

leshonchristen   Casual Listener [Aug 06, 2011]

it sounds greate butt it just doesnt sound like the techwood 200 watt 7 band 2 tape deck 10.0 channel receiver my pro studio speakers came with from american... the denon avr I just got so i gotta see wats gone happen in the future so far so good...it also has two different types of music modes one mode has a greate soundin bass line for todays music bt the other mode sounds is greate for old dusties and thats A problem I want both modes in one..

M.Beier   Casual Listener [May 24, 2011]

After reading audioreview I decided to go for this receiver.
it has strenght but also weakness, I bought one second hand, its an old lady, I've had a hard time getting optical-input 1 working, frankly I ended up giving up and swapped to input2....

sound is great, I bought this one for ~80$, it was therefor about same price as a new headphone amplifier, and I do not regret, it powers my Sennheiser HD280pro and make them shine like they've never done before, the 64 Ohm is no problem for the receiver.

I paired it up with a pair of second hand Dali Blue 1001 Concept, and the total sound at first made me quite dissappointed, then I played around, and what I ended up with...
The DAC of the receiver is nothing compared to what any sound device from computers are, even onboard sound from computers beat the DAC by miles, a simple XFi from creative would be ashame ruining by letting this receiver try to make up for it.... "Direct" and adjust from PC, not "stereo" and regulate on receiver, very important lesson...

I might have to chance my point of view next month or so, as I intend to get either a sub, or some floorstanding speakers, I simply cannot accept the low frequency capabilities of 5" middle/bass membrane.. Looking for some 8" floor or a simple active sub.

torgeir   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 09, 2009]

I choose this one after a blindfolded test... verry good indeed, to my surprise it produces great sound in combination with a bose 5.1 surround speakerset - single type. it has beaten a lot of other brands while listening blindfolded.

Dino A   Casual Listener [Dec 06, 2005]
Strength:

Good sound processor, solid low freq reproduction with good mid and high

Might be sounded bright for some people but still softer than other product I auditioned,

After almost 3 years using it, I still satisfied with the sound quality from the AVR 1603. A friend of mine just bought AVR 1705, which carries/uses newer techno parts compared to AVR 1603. Frankly speaking, I was planning to upgrade the 1603 to either 1705 or 1905 however after comparing 1603 with the new AVR 1705, I found out that I still liked the sound of 1603 and decided to keep it.

jburkett   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 30, 2004]
Strength:

Very very clean power, Build quality, Ability to adjust the subwoofer output and all other channels with the remote. (Very simple)

If I have to list a weakness it would be the frequency response of the rear channels in 5 channel mode. Most listeners will probably never notice.

Denon. This is a nice unit for those in the $400 price range. It puts out very clean audio at high volume. I have read some reviews that state this unit is not powerful enough for large rooms, but I think it must depend on the speakers. I use the Infinity primus 250 towers, the Infinity entra 2 sub, JBL northridge surrounds, and a optimus center. (I know, but it sounds pretty good!) This set up can get very loud. There are a couple of items that I sometimes wonder about,,,Some music seems a tad flat on the top end, but I can't tell if it is the source or the reciever. I hear music at times that is not flat at all. I truly think that this reciecer broadcasts exactly as it recieves. The other issue is that I don't think the surround channels get the exact same frequency in amplification as the main channels do. I say this because my JBL's sound like they are more responsive when hooked up the the front channels. (This is in 5 channel mode) It is not extemely noticable however it makes me wonder if it truly is "all channels driven from 20-20,000khz. I say all this, but I don't want to be too critical because it is a very nice unit. It produces music and decodes 5.1 as the recording engineers intended you to hear. I think the remote has been laid out nicely. I have used some of the onkyo remotes and feel lost when trying to find the volume control. You won't regret buying this unit. The quality is very very good.

Similar Products Used: Onkyo, Harman Kardon, JVC,Yamaha
Michael999   AudioPhile [Feb 05, 2004]
Strength:

Smooth clear sound for All home theatre Detail Price

Runs out of power No onscreen display remote isnt learning Sound is flat for most music NO pre-outs

I purchased this receiver as my entry to HiFi and it performed fantastic for what i wanted, i loved it, it was a good purchase and i still think it performs well given the price. Though if i had to go back i would not purchase it again, reason being is it no longer what i want, it is a good entry level receiver but cant really be upgraded in anyway due to no preouts. I am upgrading soon as it just doesnt cut it for music an more and i cannot upgrade the power with poweramps. so i am going to purchase a NAD amplifier as it is far more musical and has preouts and is also high current. If you want an AV amp for a small room and use mostly HT then this amp is great for you. But if you are after an Av amp for Ht and music equally in anything bigger than a bedrtoom then go to something bigger with some upgrade options.

Similar Products Used: Marantz, NAD, Harman Kardon, Yamaha.
AH786   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 25, 2003]
Strength:

Sound/build quality, features, inputs/outputs are excellent considering the price of this reciever.

Not enough power for medium-large rooms.

Probably the best DD/DTS reciever for the low end of the market. The sound produced is clear and neutral. It also reveals alot of details and is more laid back then most budget amps. The amp has 5ch stereo and allows you to have a crossover of 80, 100 or 120hz. Both of these features are very useful.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha RXV396, Yamaha DSPAX620, Yamaha DSPA2, Sony STRDB940
pumpitup   AudioPhile [Sep 22, 2003]
Strength:

SOUND,SOUND,SOUND BRAND NAME connectivity! it even has optic infront!! ease of use

no logo of DOLBY,DTS onscreen

DENON,what more could i say??i never heard the true meaning of home theater,just about now..when i brought home my 1603,in replacement of my pioneer!! when i connected it(about 15mins bec easy to setup)to my wharfedale speakers the very first time i hear my surrounds shouting out loud,clearly,you can hear every detail,i tried it on movies,cds,anything you could ever imagine!! its like having a best friend who never turns you down!! now i believe in DENON, so from now on theres only 1 AVR brand for me to trust..DENON!!by the way i also auditioned YAMAHA,ONKYO,PIONEER.. i kinda like the onkyo also,but lacks connectivity(optical ins)

Similar Products Used: PIONEER
Dave The Canuck   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

sound quality on DD movies, like the new Bond flick, and perfectly acceptable for music too. I love DPL II for music listening.

I don't know if this is a weakness, but you have to turn the volume up quite high to get loud levels in a large room. Still I have not heard clipping or anything untoward, even when pushing my system with an action movie.

I watch a lot of digital cable TV movies and wanted to upgrade to a receiver that had Dolby PL II. I was able to trade in an older Marantz SR-685 receiver and get a good buck for it. I was immediately impressed with the quality of the AVR-1603. I have read about the Denon pieces lacking something for music, but I have not found that at all. Listening to music soundtracks in movies and also to digital music stations, I think the Denon sounds terrific and somewhat crisper than the four-year-old Marantz.

Similar Products Used: Marantz SR-685
Mike Wood   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent Sound, Excellent power, Over all the best priced quality receiver that for under $300.

No 6.1 Channels and remote kinda of sucks.

I've been looking for a receiver for a well over a month. I looked at every model: sony, onkyo, harman kardon, etc. I went to circuit city to test receivers. The H/K were amazing but too expensive, the sony's sound quality wasn't good, and the onkyo was disappointing in power/price/sound quality. I really wanted to test a denon. I finally found a place that sold them. The salesman put in The Patriot DVD and I was blown away!!! It was so loud, so crisp and clean and the volume wasn't turned all the way up. The harman kardon is the only receiver that sounds just alittle better but 55 watts just isn't enough and the price is much higher. The 80 watts (rms) is more than you think. I tested The Patroit when I got it and it sounded even better with my polk speakers than it did in the store. You have to hear it to believe it. I didn't have a hard time hooking it up but on-screen display would be nice. I only inteaded on using the 5.1 channels but 6.1 would have be nice. The new 1604 model has the 6.1 but it's $449. The remote does kinda of suck but it's not that bad. Plenty of hook up's for me. I have my tv, vcr, dvd, and ps2. If you want a receiver that sounds like a $1200 receiver but don't want to pay for it then get the Denon Avr-1603, you won't be sorry.