Arcam P75 Power Amplifier A/V Preamplifier

P75 Power Amplifier

50 watts per channel

Marcos   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 16, 2004]

Great, smooth sound. Detail without harshness.

Speaker terminals are too close together. Banannas are the way to go, but you might have to use AQ BFA plugs on some models.

I'll review the P75+ as part of my A75+/P75+ that I am currently using to drive my Spendor S5e speakers. I purchased the A75+ on Ebay for about $475 and found it to be an excellent compliment to the Spendors - very smooth with a beautiful "hanging in space" quality to well-recorded female vocals like Jane Monheit. Perhaps - perhaps a bit soft on top, but far preferable to those "detailed" amps that will tear your head off on anything but the most perfect recordings. No thanks - been there, done that. Anyway, a P75+ comes up on Ebay for $350 and I jump on it to biamp the speakers. Well, I cannot tell you how much things improved. The detail of the top end increased 100%, but without any grain or harshness. I guess the A75+ clipped a bit on its own, which closed down the top end a bit. With a dedicated amp for the tweeter, the waveform always remained unclipped, which means smoother and more detailed sound. I've listened to a lot of expensive amps and I honestly feel the A/P75+ combo can hang with the best, all factors considered. Detail without harshness, smooth, but not dull. I don't know if these amps are still available, but if you own any Arcam integrated, pick up a P75+ for the tweeters and enjoy the difference.

Similar Products Used: A75+/P75+ Arcam CD73 Spendor S5e BTW - this is a knockout system for the $.

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved. and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

Other Web Sites in the ConsumerReview Network: | | | |