Adcom GTP-600 A/V Preamplifier

GTP-600

Surround Sound Tuner/Preamplifier.

Jenky   AudioPhile [Jan 08, 2010]

This a quick review of the GTP 600. Purchased on ebay for less than 150.00 without remote. The Harmony 1000 takes care of that situation. I replaced a Denon AVR 3805 which was used for 2 Channel Stereo (Pure Direct Mode/ Room Eq Set at Flat). I only unplugged the Denon and replaced it with the GTP 600, the amplifier is just a "fill in", I am waiting for my mono blocks to get back from service (Adcom 565s). The imaging, the line output level (voltage), neutral/transparent sound and lyrical content is better. In specifics, I have more of an analog sound instead of the "digitzed" sound. I still want to add a tube buffer in between the pre-amp and amplifiers. I hope this helps, this is a great buy for the audiophile on a budget!

jod670   AudioPhile [May 04, 2009]

Read my review last.........

As others have noted this preamp does not switch HDMI or COMP video.......why would anyone place anything between a source and display, no matter the quality of the switch? Get a universal remote if you want ease of use.

I've had some good quality surround sound proccessors. I have since found that a good two channel system is superior to a great 5.1/7.1 system. Too many room variables and only one "sweet spot".

"Sounds poor with bad cables."..... Come on,..... really? Thank you Captain Obvious..

"Tube like", what he means is warm and nearly transparent. That it is. I play this through a Soundsource amp "true 100 watts per" and Klipsch Heresy II's. The Klipsch will sound hollow, tinny, or shrill with most non-tube preamp/amp models. Not here. Voices and sound effects are natural and smooth.

The reomte is so-so (again, get a universal). Volumn jumps are large. I cured this by turning down my amp inputs. Even at 1/2 Vol my neighbors complain. Besides, this preamp is so clean that when pegged out (full Vol) it does not introduce ANY noise.

To find a better two channel preamp you'll pay ten times the price.

mr._bowtie   Casual Listener [Dec 19, 2006]
Strength:

The audio end of all these preamps worked flawlessly and sounded terrific, super clean sound. It just flowed out of this preamp very tube like sound. I was running a Crown CE-1000 amp, and a Adcom GCD-700 CD player. If you plan on just using this preamp for its audio end then go for it.

I have gone through 3 of these Adcom GTP-600's and have had the same problem with all three of them. The video side is junk. Anytime a very bright color comes on the screen such as a bright orange, red, yellow etc. Those colors will change into a neon pink. Beyond that the last one of these I tried the video would get lines across the top of the screen, then every once in a while the video would just flat stop. Then pop back on. Very disapointing for a A/V preamp that was supposed to be a higher line piece.

Excellent Audio, Horrible Video. Thats it in a nutshell....

Jeff   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 08, 2000]
Strength:

Nice look, learning remote, & its cost

Remote is handle backwards a lot (maybe its me).

I have used this product for almost half a year, and I have to say I am getting a lot in return for what I have shelled out for this product. Although it is said to produce ~60W per channel, but it seems to be more powerful than that.
I have teamed it with the Adcom GFA 7300, Adcom GDD-1, Energy eXL26 (Front), eXL center, eXL Rears, Velodyne CT-120, and a Rotel 971 CD player (hooked with Kimber Kable Hero interconnect, and Monster Cables & connections (12 gauge)for speakers).
Guess what, I find myself rushing home these few days to listen to all my CD's again. It is surely relaxing to hear Joni Mitchell singing "Both sides now" in surround, and equally fun and exciting to hear the bullet cases in "Matrix" and "Saving Pri. Ryan". I strongly reccommend this system to people who want quality "mid-fi" music but the wife is nagging at your back about its cost.

Keith Effinger   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 12, 2000]
Strength:

Sound quality ergonomics, remote, reliability, 5 Channel Stereo.

No Dolby Digital, not THX certified.

I bought my GTP-600 6 years ago and love it! The learning remote is terrific and the 5 channel stereo is fantastic - it's great to be able to use all of my expensive speakers for everything, not just movies. I wish ALL preamps had this feature. As far as quality goes, I have left it on and connected for all 6 years and it has never had a single problem - everything still works and it sounds great. I would keep it except for the lack of Dolby Digital and a THX certification. I just hooked up my Marantz AV-9000 and so far I like the way the Adcom sounds better for music and regular TV than the Marantz. The Marantx,however, blows it away in the Home Theater department. I may return the MArantz for just that reason and try either a Parasound or the new Adcom.

Similar Products Used: Sony, Marantz AV-9000
Slim   Audiophile [Dec 26, 1999]
Strength:

Better than average tuner, excellent DPL steering, 5 channel stereo, plenty of a/v inputs, great stereo sound.

It's an older design, so no digital decoding or 5.1 channel input.

In response to the previous reviewer, I'd like to point out that the inability to switch from s-video to composite video with a device of this vintage is hardly uncommon and aounts to a minor incovenience when judged against the overall fine sonic performance the GTP-600 provides. For doing what it was designed to do when it was designed, I give mine 5 stars

Carl   Audiophile [Dec 28, 1999]
Strength:

NONE!!!!!

EVERYTHING!!!

Absolute Junk!!!Worst pre amp i EVER HAD!!!Constantly blowing fuses .adcom IS NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS.BEER DOSEN'T TASTE LIKE CHAMPAGNEnor doe's it cost as much.Only get what you pay for i will NEVER GO CHEAP AGAIN i have since got all adcom out of my house .Poor customer service a LOUSY COMPANY.Face it this is REAL FAR FROM HIGH END !!!!adcom is for LOSERS!!!!!!!

David Isgett   Audiophile [Dec 28, 1999]
Strength:

Value, clean sound

No 5.1

I was very surprized by the vehement negative response and experiences some people have had with some of Adcom's stuff, more specifically the 750 and 740 reviews. I have had my GTP-600 since 1995, and it has been turned on 24/7 for the entire time, except when I power down for hurricanes, which we get frequently here. I have not had anything but quality service. The remote is excellent. 5.1 was barely being developed when I bought this unit, but I feel a need to upgrade now. The negative reviews on the later models have me discouraged....

Curt   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 05, 1999]
Strength:

Solidly built,ergonomic design

No monitor output for adding E.Q./ Can't use "S video" and RCA video outputs similtaneously

Am not happy with this unit for reasons described above. Also only one sub output, and no audio monitor output.
Does have better than average tuner and a learning remote. I have no other concerns with the rest of my Adcom gear. Some of the equipment this unit supports: Adcom CD575, GFA-555, Aragon 4004, Yamaha M80, Yamaha M45, Yamaha CDX1030, Harmon Kardon FL8450, Audio Control EQ C101, Series II, Paradigm studio 100's,CC450 center channel, and RSl Nevadas for surrounds, Subs: M&K MX-200, Klipsh KSW-15.