Terk TV-50 TV Antenna Others

TV-50 TV Antenna

whknerr   Casual Listener [Feb 17, 2002]

These reviews are confusing! I''m looking for Terk TV 50 reviews and some of the reviews are for other Terk models. Since some of the bad reviews don''t specify which model, I don''t know for sure if anyone had a bad experience with the Terk TV 50.

hsjrev   Casual Listener [Feb 08, 2002]
Strength:

Clever marketing

doesn''t work

This is for the Terk TV42 that clips onto a small satellite dish and is powered by the sat. receiver. I tested it against the dipole rabbit ears that came with an old RCA TV and the rabbit ears out performed it on all channels in my area, even UHF. This thing is total junk. If you want to receive nearby UHF stations get a Radio Shack double bowtie, cat# 15-623 for $18. It performs at least 10x better than the TV42.

Similar Products Used: old $2 rabbit ears RS double-bow
SamsterDog   Casual Listener [Feb 08, 2001]
Strength:

None

All

I have to agree with the others who've reviewed this product. Although I tried the TV55 antenna. This thing does nothing. I have tried 2 Radio Shacks Omnidirectional amplified antennas (small and large), the Terk TV41 (attaches to the satellite dish), and now the Terk TV55. None of them seem to work. I have found that my $2.00 set of rabbit ears provide considerably better reception than any of the aforementioned products.

It's quite frustrating - There is one channel in the east Orlando area that's harder to get than any others; I have been hoping that one of these amplified antennas would work.

ersatz   Audio Enthusiast [May 26, 2000]
Strength:

Cool looking lights.

Expensive.

Junk! No detectable difference between this and a $2.00 Radio Shack dipole antenna. But the lights look good, especially in the dark. You know, like it's actually doing something. Sixty-eight bucks ($70 - $2) is a lot to pay for lights. Placebo. I returned it.

Similar Products Used: Dipole antenna
D Feashman   Casual Listener [Jul 21, 2001]
Strength:

I have the radio version of this product, the FM-Pro. It replaces an old Terk FM antenna that never really pulled anything in except the srongest signals. I have to agree with the previous post. The signal quality is very much improved. It is night and day over the old antenna. The bad experiences below may in fact be due to poor placement of the antenna. It is NOT true that an antenna will work anywhere it is placed. I can recommend this product as an major improvement to radio signal quiality for less than a $100 investment.

None

See above.

Similar Products Used: Terk FM antenna
sidamo   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 08, 2001]
Strength:

works good for me

not quite as good as cable, but picture quality is decent

Saw the previous review for this antenna so I thought I'd give my $.02. I bought this antenna last year from uBid for a very low price of $39.00. At the time I was not at all satisfied with our cable service, I could not connect their coax to either a VCR or TV without it tripping a circuit breaker. The cable co. said it wasn't their problem, yet I could connect any of a number of other devices to the VCR or TV, including this antenna, with no problems. Anyway, the reception is fine. I don't know if the other reviewers live in bad reception areas, but I have no trouble with most channels. I don't think this antenna is worth the money they charge at B&M stores (Fry's, Best Buy, etc). I see them pretty often at uBid.

Similar Products Used: a Radio Shack indoor amplified antenna that sucked
david barnett   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 05, 2001]

None detected, yet

In stark contrast to the other reviewers, my experience with the Terk TV50 has been very positive. I live about 18 miles from the TV transmitter towers located on Queen Anne hill in downtown Seattle. From my 3rd story apartment, the reception is strong, with little if any multi-path distortion (Ghosting) and beautiful color on channel 4 (KOMO, the ABC channel) 5 (KING, the NBC channel), 7 (????, the CBS channel) and 9 (KCTS, the PBS channel). On some of the channels, the reception approaches the quality of cable TV image, which was very hard to believe.

I must profess that I feel my positive experience with the Terk TV50 may well be a solid function of my reasonably close proximity to the transmitter towers and my relatively high positioning in the building. However, that being the case, the TV50 performs orders of magnitude better than my now-retired rabbit ears.

I think the TV50's a solid product and well worth a look for those interested in upgrading from their rabbit ears. Of course, you'll have to accommodate its largish array in your living room. Or, you could use the included hardware to move it outside or into the attic. Either way, this unit really delivers, and if you're a good bargain hunter, it can be had for less than half MSRP, which really sweetens the deal.

Oh, VERY good FM reception, too.