Sony DVP-NS999ES
Description: The new DVP-NS999ES player offers a variety of advanced technical features available from the leader in innovative home entertainment. Technical advancements include Precision Cinema Progressive output and multi-channel SACD playback, as well as Pixel-by-Pixel Active I/P Conversion for sharp and detailed video projection, and Audio-Video Alignment to produce precise on-screen picture and sound synchronization.

Submitted by jsvranic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'm suprised to read the negative comments about this unit. I've had mine for over two years - it was a sony warranty replacement for my 1st SCD-C333es. I have to say it rivials my HDMI player for video quality and cd/sacd sounds better than my current scd-c333es. At least in my Rotel/B&W system I'm totally satisified with the 999es.
I know this is all subjective but it gets heavy use and I find it to be an excellent piece. Also, I'm sure that mods must take this player to a different/better level but I'm not sure I agree with SACDMODS.com that this player is that bad in stock form.

mostof my s/u
dvp-cx995v
b&w dm604, dm602 lcr6s2 asw600
audioquest sidewinder i/c's
psaudio extreme digital cable for 999es
audioquest type 6 speaker cable.
TV: sony lcd rear projection 2004 model - cant remember the number

Submitted by 1bad70nova a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
This unit is clearly a great bargain for the buck! I had ran it through its paces and have found no true fault with it thus far. Very detailed sound on CDs and SACD is a treat to say the least. DVDs show detail that I found only on my old Sony DVP-S300 (still one of the best for its time and now). Blacks are truely black (Matrix and Men in Black II) and colors really pop (Austin Powers and Half Baked). The unit is heavy and very nicely built like all Sony ES equipment. It may not be the highest of the high in terms of equipment, I would be really pissed off if I paid the $2k+ for the so called 'High End' and it is only marginally better than this unit!

My System Consists of:
Boston Acoustics CR7 Front and Surrounds
Boston Acoustics PV-1000 Subwoofer

Submitted by Brian Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
The 999ES is a very good DVD player, which is primarily what I bought it for. I have been very satisfied with Sony ES equipment in general. Those who have been disappointed with their products may have missed the many tweaks that they have. SACD audio was, to say the least, poor until I went through the audio setup to dial in the speaker distance, equalize speaker volumes, etc. You must turn off the front display and, on the 5ES receiver, use analog direct to get the best results. The sound quality of multi-channel SACD, such as on Norah Jones' excellent "Come Away With Me" only rivals standard CD if the player is set up right. Unlike the Sony DVP-S7700, which plays CDs very well right out of the box, you have to make adjustments to the 999ES to obtain maximum sound (try using CD Direct and setting the Audio Filter to Slow). The DVD video is awesome. If you have any complaints, you have not tweaked enough. It gives an excellent picture in interlaced mode, as good or better than the S7700. I have never seen digital artifacts with this player. The Superbit version of "The Fifth Element" looks almost as good as HDTV on my regular old Sony KP43-T70 television. It also plays damaged discs as well as any other player, a handy feature when you use Netflix (I have done some testing of other players at home theater stores). Yes, it is slow to switch between layers (what Sony player is not?)and the remote has these dinky buttons behind the slide panel. Fortunately, I rarely use the remote except when I am setting up the player. I do not have a progressive-scan TV yet, but I plan to get one and that, together with SACD playback is the reason that I upgraded to the 999ES. Another nice thing- prices traditionally come down on Sony when they introduce new models and there are lots of used players out there. This player is a real bargain since you don't have to pay $1000 for it now.

Purchased At:   Sound City Outlet

Submitted by mreinh8936 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is in followup to my previous less than excited review of a ho hum high end "ES" Sony product....My primary complaint was that Sony did a less than admirable job in the fidelity of the CD playback on this unit...I still maintain this position on this unit......Searching for feedback on a better unit, I resolved my conumdrum as follows. First let me say that the video is nice on the Sony. My objection is with "average" CD playback and a below average remote...Average being something generic off the shelf at Wal Mart.....
I managed to stumble across reviews on the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000. This is a CD play only unit with tube output and upsampler. Please see reviews at this site. I chose to get a unit off Ebay.... The upsampler pins were sheared off so I had to pop back in the stock chips that the upsampler is intended to replace...The stock Njoe Tjoeb 4000 SMOKES! and is wayfar superior to the Sony CD output. This is without the upsampler upgrade. Miffed at being taken on ebay Sans a busted upscale sampler, I called Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio (I recommend readers going to that web site). Kevin is exchanging the upsampler even tho I didn't purchase the unit directly from him....How much better can service get than that! Nice! Allison Kraus on the Njoe???? Pure Liquid Velvet! Unstrained and smooth, running Phillips tubes..Ahhhhh!!!!!!! Can't wait to get the upsampler back to hear the Njoe really unleashed...My conumdum solved....Video thru the Sony...Audio thru the Njoe...I recommend going thru Upscale Audio to save the hassles of busted stuff on audiogon or ebay...tho got my Virgos off audiogon happily so....had 2 other less than optimal experiences from ebay. The unit is reasonably enough priced to go direct from the importer at upscale.....all you guys happy with the Sony CD audio?? To me it was like getting cotten taken out of my ears.....(breathing sounds....tongue noises on the top of the pallate....fingers across strings....more separation of discrete instruments in the soundstage...highs that aren't compressed, etched, or strained, bass that isn't bloated or soggy...I hear these differences in front end CD playback}.The problem is that I have the very first DVD player that Sony ever put out ...and it had much better CD fidelity (I'd list its model # but can't get to it as its wrapped up under tarps awaiting Hurricane Ivans passage about to make landfall about 70 miles to the west ;( For now, I'll enjoy how this CD player has upgraded my bedroom HiFi while I still have power.....

Purchased At:   0

Submitted by harryjmic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I had to write this review in respose to all the negative reviews this product has received. I bought this product because at the time I didn't have a DVD player and I thought if the Sony sounded good enough on the CD side I could sell my Arcam cd72 to recover some of the money spent. I originally brought home a demo model for trial. The store I borrowed it from didn't supply a remote so I had no idea how complex this machine could be. When I compared it the arcam cd72 it seemed to give greater detail but was also not as warm sounding. I thought I could live with the difference and ended up buying the unit even though the arcam sounded better playing cd's. When I finally received the unit I was surprised to see that the remote was the key feature into setting the machine up properly. The demo unit was probably set up to be in multi channel and I know for sure it sounded like it was set to the higher sampling rate. I set the unit at the slower rate or "warm" as they call it and set the speaker outs to normal stereo, not surround. After listening with these changes I found myself liking the Sony more than the Arcam. It had more body similar to the Arcam but didn't seem as bloated; I also noticed more detail as well. I am sure there are better stand alone cd players but the Sony is a very good cd/dvd player. After about 4 months I switched the upsampling to the higher rate and it didn't seem as bright or fatiguing as it did earlier. Maybe it was finally broke in. I leave it on all time, I heard it's better to leave the stuff on.

The video is excellent. This is my first DVD player but I am amazed at the detail in the picture. Watching Matrix the first time was a whole new experience. It was very cool to see the dust coming off the ground as they were jumping from building to building and the broken brick flying in the air from bullet impacts. I have never seen this kind of resolution before. I will admit I was using a VCR before but I am very, very happy with the picture quality. I do notice some funky glitches every once in a while, once maybe every 5 or 6 rentals. Maybe it's the chroma bug earlier reviews are describing, I don't know, it happens so seldom it doesn't really bother me. I think it's dirty disks.

Can you get better cd players, sure but a lot of this stuff is personal preference and system integration. If you want a machine which plays cd's and dvd's and does a great job for not a crazy amount of money this product is a great deal. Look at it this way a decent dvd player will be $300 bucks or more and a cd player will be at least that, probably a lot more. Add the cost of another set of interconnects and you probably will pay about the same as this unit. In addition, you will end up using more real estate in your stands/shelves.

My setup is: