Mission 731 Pro

Submitted by roger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
Unsure of the product year but i picked up a pair of these and they sound amazing! If your Thinking about buying a pair do it!! These speakers dont disapoint! Sound much bigger then they are and sound amazing with any type of music from acoustic sounds to dubstep. Brilliant value for money!!!!

Submitted by Harry Kaitis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
My brother owned these speakers since 1999.

I agree that there is a bit of treble roll-off, but the bass response is amazingly good for their size and the mid-band is near perfect.

If you use a PC with a good 24bit sound card as source then you can equalize the slight upper treble roll-off and the extreme lower frequencies.
Having done that they sound like a lot bigger speaker and they are clear, transparent and can handle amazingly high volumes for their size!

Comparing them with my reference Sennheiser HD600 headphones they sound amazingly similar in the mid-band and after so many years I still love these speakers!

In my room there is some upper bass colouration but apart from that they still sound like a million dollars!!!

Probably the best speaker at its price I have ever heard!!! :)

Submitted by Karl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Bottom Line:
I used to work in a charity shop in my mid 20's (about 5 years ago) where a pair of Mission 731 (Bookshelf speakers) were donated, I seen them in the sorting room before they went on sale and asked the manager if I could buy them, kindly she said yes and I bought them £3.50. I believe back in their retail days they cost between £150 - £200 a pair new. The first thing that attracted me to these was the solid and detailed build quality and design, having only used cheaper mini hifi systems before this, these speakers were the highest quality speakers I'd ever seen (and probably more expensive than any complete system I'd owned before). The front and rear baffles are very solid and none resonant, so if you knock on them they make next to no sound and hurt your knuckles. The speaker connections are good quality binding posts and there's also two gold plated screw threads close to the middle of the rear baffle for mounting hardware. Beneath the front covers needs no description as you can see from the picture above, both drive units are of good robust and reliable quality. Next to the reflex port on the front, "MISSION" is engraved in large capital letters and the reflex port itself has a divider down the centre just inside (still unsure what the meaning of that is but its not something I've commonly seen before). The emblem on the front covers are plastic but depending in what light you're viewing the speakers, the emblem could be anything from silver, to red, to purple, to green etc... Quite attractive. The cabinet between the baffles is also a solid inch thick of none resonant wood, and will too punish your knuckles. The sound quality from these speakers is surprising good, especially in the low frequencies. There's times when I've been sat listening to them and I've been fooled into thinking there's a car in the distance with a bass box blaring in the back, when in reality its the very low frequency bass of some music tracks faintly being reproduced by the missions. They're rated between 25-75 watts per speaker @ a friendly 8 ohms, and a generous sensitivity of 92 db (decibels), meaning in actual fact you would get a lot more than the rated RMS out of these speakers in terms of perceived volume (handy as it means you don't have to take as much power away from your amp in order to achieve the desired volume you're looking for and you won't risk damaging the speakers from overdrive either). I still own these speakers today and I'm definitely keeping them, however, since I'm looking to use my system as a whole house distribution system, I'm needing to use all matching speakers to get the best sound throughout, and since these speakers don't retail new anymore and in fact quite difficult to come across in used condition, I'll be using a different speaker for the open planned areas but these will be put to good use in a separate area where the music from the other speakers won't interfere with the sound of the missions and vice versa.

Submitted by tone911 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Bottom Line:
Really like these, even though they are small they are like try hard giants.
The vocals really come through clearly, bass for the most very capable bearing in mind that these are small enclosure speakers, treble sounded a little rattley at times but overall it can be a David matched up to a Goliath depending on the the equipement its hooked up too.
Overall very good buy for a small to medium room, dont be afraid to crank them up every now and then and let them take you where you want to go.

Submitted by Veda a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
Worth it as a demo pair but I wouldn't pay retail for it. I guess it's great sounding if you're used to hearing speakers in the same price range but it is an average speaker overall. This model produces real British high end sound and it should as an entry level speaker. However, I noticed treble rolloff and boominess that detract me from enjoying the music. This could be caused by the exchanged placement of the drivers. But bass response is very good for speakers this size. Anyway, it works well in the office.