B&W 705
Description: 2-way vented-box system, 6.5" woven Kevlar® cone bass/midrange, 1" alloy dome tweeter, 46Hz-25kHz ±3 dB, 89dB sensitivity, 42lb/pair.

Submitted by Victor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
I just want to say that these are an incredible set of speakers that provide a nice sound stage
With warmth and natural sound. My system consist of a yaqin el34 tube amp, music hall 25.2 modified CD player, nordost super flatline speaker cables and a set of flatline silver interconnects. The sound is amazing. Precise, bass is nice and tight, vocals are natural...simply amazing. I forgot to say that I'm running my speaker cables shotgun style with a set of silver speaker jumpers which provide more depth and ambience. To make these speakers sing you need to check your system. Tweek you're system and hear it come alive my friends. Happy listening!

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have bonded with these speakers. Their forte is filling a room without drawing attention to themselves. I have read the other reviews and I realize that I am not listening the way that some of the doubters are listening. Clearly some of those that have not enjoyed these speaker are looking for a sound studio and a perfect recording of a very complex work of music. For their price these speaker put out an extremely clear and seemless sound. With a large open floor plan house I am alway impressed with the power of these little speakers.

Submitted by Crols a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
I'm going to start off by saying that ultimately, these speakers were not for me. I lived with them for 4 years and finally decided to sell them.

First I'll start with what the speaker does well. It has an excellent tweeter, very clean, and very open sounding with excellent extension. The same generally goes for the mid-range was well. Every instrument is easily discerned, with plenty of ambient detail. Imaging is pinpoint and wide, that goes for breadth as well as depth. Tonality is also excellent, every note is almost dead on.

With all these good points, what is the deal breaker? Ah, well, let's start with bass. While every bass note heard is easily discerned and in no way muddy... there simply isn't a lot of bass, even for a bookshelf. The extension is decent, but the volume of the bass itself leaves much to be desired. On an visceral level it's quite anemic sounding. Then there is the dynamics issue. Micro dynamics are handled well, minor transients stand out. Unfortunately when it comes to the life of the music, this speaker is like a high resolution black and white photo. There is absolutely no fun factor. I would listen for a bit, and be impressed with the high resolution of the sound, and the excellent imaging and so forth, but would always end up feeling bored and switch my system off.

So, all in all, these speakers were not for me. If others can listen to them, and not feel put off by the lack of macro-dynamic swings they will probably love the speakers. They aren't my cup of tea. Just my opinion.

Submitted by Peter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
WOW! These are so neutral. A tad bass shy, but what is there is very musical. No complaints, and without the heavy bass of my former speakers, my neighbors are happier, too.

Submitted by johnny p a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have recently gotten the 705s, and the matching stands from B&W. The stands are very nice, but I'm not sure they warrant the $400 price tag, but the fact that you can secure the speakers to the stands with the supplied hardware was a key selling point. The speakers still need broken in, but I now find myself searching the DVD collection for audio-heavy movies, and for the first time in a long time I'm purchasing new CDs. These speakers have given me a new appreciation for audio.

I have the 705's matched with the HTM7 center, and I am using the new 686's as surrounds. My subwoofer is a Cerwin Vega Model -150 15" downward firing beast, and it will be replaced with a powerful 10" sub, but I haven't decided what one that will be. The 705's offer a lot of nice punchy bass for stand mounted speakers.

Purchased At:   Local Hi-Fi Shop