Axiom Speaker Company M80 v3
Description: The ultimate "audiophile" loudspeaker for any musical and home-theater performance. Capable of withstanding absurd amounts of power, your investment will yield years of unparalleled enjoyment. Triple vortex-ported bass reflex enclosure. Gold-plated signal posts. Dual 1" titanium tweeters, dual 5.25" aluminum midwoofers, dual 6.5" aluminum woofers. Measures 39.5" high x 9.25" wide x 17" deep. Anti-standing-wave shaped cabinet. Beautifully finished in Black Oak or Boston Cherry, or over 100 custom finishes available in Axiom's Customize Yours store.

Submitted by Biggar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
I do hate to be disagreeable but, in relation to the above review, how can a speaker be both too bass heavy and also too bright? I read many comments about this speaker and its brightness and would like to respond. One of the difficulties with all good speakers, it seems to me, is finfpding the right amplifier to pair with them. In my case, I have bi-amped two Quad 909s to the Axiom M80s. When I first used this system, there were certain recordings that simply sounded horrible. I cannot remember which one but one of Andrew Manze's recordings set my teeth on edge. I quickly realized that, depending on the recording, the stereo setup either reproduced a clean pleasing and non-fatiguing sound or something quite unpleasant. Working even deeper, I went back to the Manze recording. What could have been wrong? I realized that the recording was a 128 Kbps download from emusic.com. I downloaded a 256 Kbps version from iTunes and, hey presto, the overbearing brightness was gone. As for the bass, quite frankly, I have still to find myself overwhelmed by it. More recently, I bought an Axiom hoe theatre setup. I've paired that with an Anthem MRX 500 and an Anthem BLX 200 blu ray player. If you knw Anthem then you know that it uses room correction technology that is widely regarded as some of the best in the industry.

The home theatre results are nothing short of spectacular, the bass is incredibly precise and (at the right times) room shaking. I'm relating all of this because I want to contrast the bass response of my home theatre with the bass response of the 2 channel audio. Some would say that I am comparing apples to oranges and perhaps that is so. At the same time, the comparison does give me a datum line from which to judge the M80s.

That comparison has revealed to me that the M80s bass response is appropriate. In other words, with my pre-amp's tone controls set at the null point, the bass response on the speakers sounds incredibly realistic and well matched/balanced with both the midrange and treble.

There are better speakers on the market but, unfortunately, they are not in my snack bracket. Having auditioned several other speakers in my home, I can say with confidence that, in terms of value for money, the Axioms were a good purchase

Submitted by Joe T a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had a chance to do a long term demo of these speakers at my neighbors house. The bass response is well extended for a slim tower but I found the bass to be too powerful for the overall sound. The female vocals sounded colored in the mid bass region giving a more boxy sound characteristic than a live performance. The treble was very detailed but over time I found these speakers to be a bit bright. All of the glowing professional reviews are a bit overhyped from what my ears found. If you can pick up a pair of these speakers for around $1k/pair, they are a good deal, otherwise look elsewhere if you want a more accurate sound.