Mitsubishi HS-U790
Description: Super VHS 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR w/ Universal Remote

Submitted by George Pilipovich a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I now hate all Mits products. This is my second Mits VCR that was flaky. I only found one brand of tape it liked. I sometimes get video noise (severe) from the unit. During high-speed search, often the screen goes blank. The features may be cool, but it just doesn't work.

Purchased At:   Frys

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
A great VCR that has good visual and sound quality.
I've been running the VCR for extended play times (6 to 10 hours a day for the last 4 months) and it has been rock solid. Not much drop off in picture quality(still haven't had it cleaned, or even run head cleaner through it). Has also survived the use of a 3 year old. Great product that I am glad I bought

Submitted by Andy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Mits (back in March of 1999) because it was the cheapest SVHS on the market with a front panel S-Vid connection (only Panasonic 7680 and JVC 9500 had it). This was necessary so that I could take advantage of my Hi8 camcorder, without having to hassle with a rear panel S-Vid connection. Now lower end SVHS models have this feature (JVC 4600 I think has it). I don't use all of the features on the VCR, but those that I have used are easy to use.

The remote is fairly short with a flip up panel that reveals the numeric buttons and some other menu related buttons. This is a major hassle, always having to flip up the panel. They should have just extended the length of the remote and included all buttons on one surface. This obviously won't affect those using universal remotes.

Because I only paid $380 delivered for this Mitsubishi flag-ship model (www.netmarket.com), I am extremely pleased.

If money is not an object then I would suggest the SONY SVHS or a Panasonic or Sony professional grade SVHS. However, for those of us on a budget, it's hard to beat the performance of this Mits product at this price point (without going grey market).

Submitted by Sean a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I required a SVHS player/recorder for my internet "streaming video" applications. Rather than buying a Pro deck to match my Beta SP's (at five figures) I bought this one for around $400 (it's only the internet, afterall).
The deck interfaces great with my capture boards and exhibits an excellent picture on my Pro Monitors (Sony).
I imagine this unit will more than satisfy any consumer/home use. It works great in a professional environment for the price of an interconnect!