Hitachi VTFX623A
Description: 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR w/ Universal Remote

Submitted by PML a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
The best thing I can say is this VCR always works exactly as it should. You would expect this, but with other VCRs I have owned, this hasn't been the case. I purchased a Sony HiFi VCR because I thought Sony = quality. Not so, it broke within a month. I exchanged it for a Panasonic but didn't like the user interface. I then exchanged the Panasonic for the Hitachi and it has proven to be a very dependable machine. I have only cleaned the heads 2 or 3 times since late '96 and not because I saw any noise, I just figured after so much use it would be a good idea. I have also had DVD for a couple of years now and I now find VHS nearly untollerable, so I am looking for a SVHS deck. Since this deck has been so problem free for me I'd buy another Hitachi, but haven't seen any Hitachi SVHS in local stores. I have been very impressed with the JVC 7600 & 9600 but have reservations on the build quality. I'd be willing to pay for quality if the performance equals the JVCs. The top of the line Sony SVHS doesn't look as sharp and I no longer have faith in them. I considered the Marantz, but it appears to be a badge engineered JVC 7600. Thats too bad. I have some superb Marantz audio gear and would buy a Marantz SVHS VCR in a heartbeat if I knew it was actually designed and manufactured by them. I wasn't impressed with anything from Mitsubishi, Panasonic, or Sharp. Any suggestions?

But back to the FX623, it is a good machine. If you are looking for a quality VHS VCR, Hitachi has been good to me. I would rate it 5 stars but the Sony's recordings were a tad sharper, but atleast the Hitachi doesn't break.