Pro-Ject 2.0

Submitted by Dark_Kosh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice turntable especially at this price, came fitted with a Ortofon 510 Mk II which is a crisp, detailed sounding cart with nice imaging. You can get better but then you have to pay more or go second hand and with turntables thats always a risk. I wasn't expecting much so was pleasantly surprised.

Purchased At:   http://www.musicmatt

Submitted by kuling a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
A good choice among "budget" players, I have had good listening performance but I have anded up with a curved turntable (perhaps some built-in stresses during casting). Still good performance of the sound delivered, even though I still use the Sumiko Blue Oyster. This cartridge gets better and better during time used, I think the design is cheap, and there is a reall need for "playing it in".

Purchased At:   Jonkoping hi-fi

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this Pro-Ject 2.1 turntable because the price was right.. i frankly did not expect a lot, but i was pleasantly surprised.. The platter is very heavy and the unit performs flawlessly... And it sounds very good.. perhaps as good as any turntable under $400-$500.. maybe better.. I am using a Shure M91E with it right now.. i found my Blue Point Special was too heavy to balance with the existing counterweight, so i am contacting Sumiko for the heavier counterweight..
Over all, i'd say the Pro-Ject 2.1 was a steal for the price...It does a credible job indeed..

Purchased At:   6th Ave. Elec. Springfield NJ

Submitted by Jon Petersen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
It has been over 12 years since I purchased my last turntable. I found out about Pro-Ject through Upscale Audio. Kevin Deal @ Upscale is good source for components. I ordered the turntable as well as cables and the Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge. The Pro-Ject 2 comes equipped with the Sumiko Oyster cartridge. The Oyster appears to be Sumiko entry level cartridge. The Blue Point Special is an incredible cartridge for the price. After a few days of heavy listening I am completely happy with my selection. 180 gram vinyl sounds very rich with more audible separation than I expected. I'm sure I am still in the break in stage and I can expect more listening pleasure in the near future. This turntable fits perfect in my budget minded audio system. This is my system rundown: Adcom GFA 5400 amp, Conrad-Johnson PV10B preamp, AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player, Vandersteen 1C speakers and various Tara Labs and DH labs cables.

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio

Submitted by Stefan G. Weichinger a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I own the Pro-Ject 2 since about 6 or 7 years now, and for the money spent I think it´s a very worthful device.
When I bought it, it was equipped with a Audio-Technica AT95 system (I think, it was called like that) which I changed to a Grado Prestige Silver system. This was a huge performance gain, it sounded more relaxed and clean after doing this.

The project 2 itself is a turntable for people starting to explore the audiophile possibilities, a good beginner´s system, when you don´t want to spend too much money at first, but also don´t want to listen records with some piece of plastic.

If you look closer at the Project 2, like I am after using it for years, you notice the minor drawbacks in the design compared to some more expensive tables.
The chassis isn´t as stable as it could be, providing enough isolation between ground and tonearm, the antiskating-device is perfectly designed in both physical and aesthetical view, but it´s also nearly impossible to adjust antiskating forces to any given exact value (you can only bend the wire around and hope, maybe...)

In summary, I´m very happy with this turntable. It´s definitely worth its money, and it sounds better than some other tables more expensive.