Music Hall MMF-5

Submitted by Audiophile5235 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow for the price this turntable is wonderful. Roy Hall has done a great job on this budget table. It really does a great job isolating vibration. I did not purchase this table, MMF-5, but the MMF-7 instead. The Gold ring 1012gx cartridge is truly a good match with the arm and platter. I would recommend you get a new record mat. The felt one supplied can be a bit warm, but I am a bit picky about my vinyl. I would strongly recommend this table to anyone who occasionally listens to records, if you are more of a hard core vinyl-phile like me maybe the MMF-7 is more your speed. Both are wonderful values and could easily integrate into your system in about 20 minuets.

Purchased At:   Ovation

Submitted by Bombaywalla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review/listening report is for the Music Hall MMF5 turntable. I bought this TT brand new in January 2002 at Hollywood Sound, FL.
Right out of the box (as Larry promised me) the TT sounded great. The 1st thing I noticed was that the hum of the AC motor driving the spindle was gone, gone, gone! I immediately realized why people like belt-drive TTs so much. Thus, the spaces between tracks were blacker/quieter than ever before. The high frequencies were immediate but not fatiguing to my ear. This could have been a combination of a new TT, using BL1 Series II interconnects & B&W DM604S2 speakers. Anyway, what I liked about this top-end was that I was involved in the music – it said “drop whatever you are doing & listen to me”. This appeals to me because I feel that it is a live session. Playing the MMF5 thru the CAT SL1 offered me a whole new world of bass – plenty, tight, focused, fast & in full control of my speakers. Vocals came thru with much more precision & fullness than with my previous Dual – it seemed that the artist now removed a veil covering their mouth. The midrange had now transformed itself into something much more articulate, more dynamic and with the correct timbre. I felt that there was a certain “sparkle” in the sound (that I had been missing so badly in my Dual) that once again reminded me just why vinyl is so irresistible.
When I changed the power amp section to the RG4 & changed the interconnects to the Groneberg, the sound quality went up a few more notches. The power output & current drive capability has doubled or tripled which has brought much greater transparency to the overall sound.
In conclusion, I’m a delighted owner of the MMF5 TT. My experience with it has all been good despite the very low rider 1012GX cartridge being heart-palpitatingly close to the vinyl surface (it has not touched the vinyl even once till today).

Purchased At:   see review