Goldring G-1022
Description: MM cartridge

Submitted by deadsexy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Give this cartridge a good 50 hours for break-in. Some have mentioned a level of mistracking; I don't get this. The 1022 on my Rega arm tracks very well and certainly better than the Grado platinum that I owned.
To the point - this cart. is very good for the money; it seems to excel with rock music but of course will play all types well. The bass is very articulate and full with rich, full mids. The trebble is where this cart gives away the fact that its not a mega$ player - don't get me wrong, as it is quite satisfying but just doesn't posses that last once of delicassy. No matter, this cart is a musical performer first and foremost. Come to think of it, all my systems compenents lean that way - I do like to listen to the tunes and simply enjoy the music, and not make excuses for the analytical nature of some "high end" nightmarish statement product.
Not too often, but sometimes less really is more !

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by dr_nick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great cartridge for this little money. I use it with my Pro-Ject Debut II and they work great together.

Purchased At:   Nota +, Moscow, Russ

Submitted by Hugh Unsworth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I brought this to replace my Shure VR15VxMR, that was getting rather worn. I was absolutely gobsmacked. The sound has been a pleasure to listen to for the last couple of years. I haven't tried the 1042, but the 1022 is a great cartridge. I am running it on a Thorens deck and SME 3009 Series II arm, through a Pioneer A400 driving Tannoy M3's. The sound is superb, to my ears and I have had more pleasure out of my Vinyl in the last couple of years, than the previous 10 combined. I will post with additional comments when I put the cartridge into my new Garrard 401 with OL moded Rega RB250. I am hoping this will cause the slightly unsteady treble during complex classical recordings, if it does it was my old system, if not its the cartridge.

I heartily recommend this cartridge, it was a bargain at £120.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence, Cardiff

Submitted by lloyd hanney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just upgraded my linn-k5 to a goldring 1022gx and was amazed by the improvement in sound. I use a Rega planar 2.
I would high recommend this product if you have a rega,
very warm sound, yet very detailed, and good traking even towards the end of the record.

Purchased At:   mantra-audio online

Submitted by S.Goodman a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently replaced the Shure VR15VxMR cartridge on my Rega Planar 3 turntable & was amazed at the huge improvement in sound. I thought that the Shure sounded pretty good- but sort of laid back and not terribly exciting. The G-1022 is just the opposite! It is very exciting and has a more highly defined top & bottom end. The G-1022 is very similar to Goldring's G-1042 but has a Gyper i diamond stylus- rather than the Gyper S stylus of the G-1042. The stylus is user replaceable & are interchangeable between models. You can start out with a G1006 cartridge (list $125)& upgrade to a G-1022 or G-1042 buy purchasing the appropriate replacement stylus. All of these Goldring cartridges work very well in Rega turntables; no vertical tracking angle problems! Audio Note also markets their version of the G-1042 & 1022 but use a Van den Hul stylus & are about the same price as the Goldring's. Over all I am very pleased with the Goldring G-1022 & give it 5 speakers. My old records have never sounded better!