Sony KV35V68 Standard Televisions

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

35" SONY TRINITRON TELEVISION

Submitted by David a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
The price above includes the Sony TV stand.
An outstanding television. I have just installed a home theater package (new A/V receiver, DVD player, and the full compliment of speakers)around this TV and am not disappointed. The overall quality of this television is great.
Now, two small gripes. One, there are no component inputs. I could have used this feature with the A/V receiver and DVD player. Two, the ink on the remote control buttons wore off in one year.

Purchased At:   Gibson Sound and Video

Submitted by John Meduna a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased our model at a Circuit City in Omaha, NE. as an "open box" or floor model in November 2000. It was on sale for $899. Discounts on a 3 year extended warranty and matching T.V. stand resulted in the final price on our Sony at $769.

Thanks to researching and information provided on the internet, I discovered the Sony KV-35V68 was one of the very few, higher quality T.V. sets featuring the Guide Plus.

The Guide Plus should be inside all television makes and models. The ability to highlight programs listed, access complete information, and one-touch recording is like a dream come true. You will never look at the cable company's program guide channel again. (If you purchase, make very certain where infra-red sensor eyes are on cable box and VCR to assure a successful Guide Plus set up. Otherwise, an error message will constantly appear.)

Some people may not like the 2 second channel switch delay when changing channels. However, I found you can use your universal remote, press the 'DSS/Cable' control button so the cable box dominates the channel changing process. Nevertheless, eventually press the 'TV' control button on the remote to reengage. The Guide Plus feature will be intact when you want to view program grid and/or choose to use the recording system.

When viewing a video on our Panasonic PV-VS4820 VCR with the S-video cable, the picture image rivaled D.V.D.
Picture quality exceeded all expectations.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Dredal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am quite happy with the picture provided from this T.V. It has been a reliable work horse from viewing everything from DVD's - Beta tapes. It is used mostly for watching Digital cable and is usually left on for at least 5 hours a day, every day. I have about 3000 hours on this set and it still functions like new.

The two tuner pip is useful as well as the video lables (I would have like to have the advantage of re-naming the presets). Although it does not have component input, the S-Video (2) inputs suffice for my DVD's (sony 550D).

It is used in the basement for the entertainment centre.

I would, and have recommended this unit to a friend.

I have always believed that a tube delivers a better picture that a projection T.V., and is there a better tube than the trinitron? I don't think so.

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Centre

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Sony KV35V68 is a great television for the price we paid for it. The picture quality is great when you use a VCR and DVD player with S-video. The KV35V68's picture tube using S-video is better than other brands' picture using componet video. The sound is good, but it doesn't matter if your using your surround sound system.

The Sony Wega televisions may have a slightly better picture. But after talking to sales people at a few stores, I found that they had to have a technian adjust the Wega picture tube after they were delivered. The Wega has a flat screen, but the trinitron tube is already flat on two sides and less expensive. So I decided to purchase the old reliable trinitron color TV.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by Jim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
After comparing the cost/value of this unit to the WEGA's, and after considering all the problems I read people having with the WEGA's, I decided to go with tried-and-true Trinitron quality. And, I am very happy I did. This is a very nice unit, better than the comparable JVC and Panasonic units in my head-to-head assesments.

One minor annoyance: on some of the higher stations (say, above channel 45), there sometimes appears to be a 1/4" blue streak on the right side of the picture (all the way over). Depending on what kind of show is on, the background, etc, the streak is not very noticable. But I figure, for this price ($1100), you should get perfection.

Also, changing channels is slow, taking a full second to flip between them.

I love the on-screen channel guide, it makes taping shows very simple.

The sound is very good (for built-in TV speakers) and I like the easily accessible inputs in the front for my son's Nintendo 64 game.

SFLAT: