Sony KV27V40 Standard Televisions

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

27 Inch Trinitron TV

Submitted by Eric Vandermeer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been sold for life. I have invest over $2000 into Sony products for my home entertainment center and have not been disappointed yet. Sony is a brand name that you can trust. I love this tv and I dread the day when I need to find a bigger tv that has close to the same quality.

Purchased At:   Sears Chatham

Submitted by Jameson Brummond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this set just over a yaer ago through a freind at Best Buy and recieved his discount, ($390). I love this televison. The picture is excellent when compared to the other models my roomates own. We compared dvd playback with my roommates RCA and it was no contest, the Sony was sharper and richer. The flat screen makes the viewing area appear larger than other 27" televiosions.
The Sony also has excellent sound. When camparing to other TVS turn each up to half the sets volume and compare, the Sony is loud and clear. Different roomates have owned the television I compared the Sony to and all were impressed with my Televisions picture and sound.
Several problems are the single audio input and the fact that you can only assign names to about 10 stations. However it has a neat feature that allows you to program five of your favorite channels into the remote for quick switching.
Also this TV is a beast and as a college student it is not fun to move due to the weight.
Value wise a Panasonic with the Panablack tube is close in quality and cheaper but the Sony's audio make it an excellent television for a bedroom, dormroom, or starter home entertainment system

Submitted by Sung Choi a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with this TV. The controls are easily adjusted and gives nice picture.

In the future I would get another Sony, but probably a larger set. 27" is ok for normal TV viewing, but for DVD in letterbox it leave more to be desired.

One thing I wish it improves on is the number of station call letters that can be stored. 10 (I think) is not enough for cable.

Submitted by Joe a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Submitted by Greg Robertson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have used this TV for 8 months or so. Bought it for $400. Great tv for the price. While I've owned it, nothing has really bugged me. Make sure you calibrate this tv as soon as you get it. There is a major difference between the factory presets (even the movie setting) and a VE calibrated picture. Won't look as good as Wegas, obviously, or other higher priced models.
To make this review a little more even, I have noticed the white line on the left side. It is a problem that nearly every 27v40 has. Like was previously said, it is only visible on certain program material. Usually you have to look closely to find it though. (this really isn't a big problem)
Overall though, for an 'average' tv this one impresses.