Hitachi 36SDX88B Standard Televisions

36 inch UltraVision SDX Series - 800 lines TV Resolution - Digital 3DY/C Comb Filter - 2 rear Audio/Video Inputs - 2 rear S-Video Inputs - RF Input - Component Video Inputs - Front Panel A/V Inputs - Variable Audio Outputs - Audio/Video Outputs - VGA Input - PC Audio and Mouse Inputs

Submitted by Mark Tammi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this set on line after much research. The set was burned in over a several day period using video essentials. Great picture on dvd, but focus alittle soft on Direct TV or vcr. Set died after first two weeks. Just did not turn on one morning. Hitachi referred me to local service center and I delivered the set that day. This is where the nightmare begins. After six weeks I decided to call and was informed that parts had not arrived yet. I called customer service at Hitachi several times over the next 2 months with no success. The set was finally delivered after 3 1/2 months and it died as soon as it was plugged in. I get the set back a week later and it works fine for a couple of days then the tube goes ballistic and burns two black spots on the inside of the tube right in the center. Hitachi drags there feet for another three weeks and then has CG Electronics replace the set with a newer model the 36SDX01SR. I set the set up and notice that the bottom third of the picture has a slight bow in it which is really annoying when watching CNBC or CNN with the banner at the bottom of the screen. Under warranty I have a technician out, but he is unable to correct the problem saying it is the tube and is probably within Hitachi tolerances. I call Hitachi and they say the same thing. I am out of luck. I did find out that the set is actually made by RCA and hitachi hot rods it and put there name on it

Purchased At:   CG Electronics

Submitted by Patric Mears a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Absolutely beautiful picture from any source. Standard NTSC video is converted to 480P. Plenty of inputs for my system. Got a super deal at Video Only--$1470. Apparently a discontinued model but with no true HDTV broadcasting in my area except PBS, I can live with it. Much cheaper than any other digital set.

Purchased At:   Video Only

Submitted by bugz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have owned this TV since May of 1999 and have used it mostly with a DirecTV sattelite feed. The picture is gorgeous with an S-video sattelite or VHS signal, or the component out on my new Sony DVP S9000ES DVD/SACD player. I got a calibration kit with the DVD player and default video calibration (which I have been using for almost two years) was almost spot on. No need to tone down red levels etc...

The quality of the video signal from the component out of my new Hughes HDTV receiver is less than optimal. The HDTV picture is rather dark and dim compared to a DVD signal. I certainly don't want to have to fool with video levels everytime I watch HDTV on this thing. I already have to switch the component plugs every time I watch a DVD. 4:3 and 16:9 local SDTV looks fine. Although the local Portland stations are only transmitting digital at low power levels and I can't get all stations.

This set is basically obsolete. A 16:9 or even wider letterbox picture on even a 36" 4:3 is not all that big. Better in a small to medium room. Except of course this TV is HUGE. (Did I mention it is around 200 un-grippable ponds?) If I were to purchase a CRT based TV today I would get a 34" diagonal 16:9 set. Toshiba and Panasonic make them and I would also think a 34" 1080i capable monitor would be less expensive option.

If a new one is $1600 (a more reasonable price than I paid) it is actually a pretty good deal for an HDTV capable set. A bit large and heavy though.

Purchased At:   Vern Wenger TV

Submitted by Matt H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
(I have the 36SDX01SR) This is a very good DTV/HDTV for the money and options. It is a great fit for an AV tweaker like myself. I suggest integrating it with some good AV equipment.
Another great compliment to this unit is a high-powered AV PC. Here is what I am using and it works great. Harmon Kardon AV300, Cox Digital cable (OK to Good at best), a PC-AVBOX with a AMD 900 Tbird, ATI All-in-Wonder AGP Video Card ( good with Cable, S video, and component input). Hercules Xp Game Theater & sound systems, it hooks right up to HK and gives full Dolby or DTS for your DVD via PC. The monitor is also good for entertaining. Just push some audio through MS media player and watch the monkeys daze at TV. Very cool. This is probably the most well rounded HDTV I could find. The price was also decent. If you want the flexibility of HD and the availability of 4.3 ratio TV then this baby can save you around a $grand$ or more while giving you all you will ever need and nice big monitor to boot. DVD looks outstanding via the S, Component or RGB inpura, although you may see some artifacts with older movies on DVD, I don't know why. HD and the availability of 4.3 ratio TV then this baby can save you around a $grand$ or more while giving you all you will ever need and nice big monitor to boot. DVD looks outstanding via the S, Component or RGB input, although you may see some artifacts with older movies on DVD, I don't know why. Gladiator on DTS audio mode looks outstanding via the PC or DVD Player.

Purchased At:   DigitalConnection

Submitted by Malyel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a great set if you can find it for under $1600. It is one of the few 4:3 sets that can display a Hdtv picture. Both the RCA 36100 and Toshiba 36x81 can not do this. The set does the anamorphic squeeze but not as well as the Sony 32xbr250. This set hooked up to the Toshiba 5109 provided some amazing pictures. Likewise it is great when hooked up to a hdtv set top box. The tube is not that flat so it does tend to pick up reflections. This set can also be hooked up to a pc and be used as a monitor. I am very happy with this purchase. My only complaint is the lack of hd programing that is available to display on this set.

PANAMAX: