Hitachi 36FX48B Standard Televisions

Submitted by Richard Burns a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
This model has all the connectivity I need for my HT system, in which I have connected Paradigm speakers (Monitor 9s, CC-370 center channel, PW2000 subwoofer, and ADP-370 surrounds) and a Panasonic VCR (model PV-S7670) to my Onkyo Integra 7.1. I just recently started using Monster Cable interconnects with notable all around improvements. Not yet acquiring a soon-to-purchase DVD player, I listen exclusively to videos when watching movies, and the picture quality is spectacular. In my 18' x 13' room, a larger TV was unnecessary, and I even considered a 32", but the 36" is perfect for my set-up (short of HDTV, of course).

This Hitachi model was comparable to Toshiba's 36'" set at the time; the latter I bought two years ago for my father- and mother-in-law for Christmas. With it's two-tuner PIP, the Hitachi was a clear forerunner when I decided to buy another set for my family. My only quibble is the se'ts so-called "geomagnetisn correction," which is a switch that improves the picture according to the direction the TV is facing, something that was never clear to me, and perhaps irrelevant since I'm on cable; the quality of the signal has more to do with the signal throught the cable than the TV itself.

Another nice feature is the set of front and rear jacks; the S-video (now stanadard in nearly all sets of this size) is also convennient whenever I want to play my Macintosh Powerbook's DVD player through the Hitachi. The fron jacks are useful for both games and camcorders.

No doubt about it, Hitachi TVs are very well built and have by far the best picture than its competitors in this class. If you don't need a rear-projection, high definition, or expensive plasma TV, then it's hard to beat Hitcachi's 36."

Purchased At:   Sears