Panasonic TC-P50G10 50 in. HDTV Plasma TV Flat Panel Televisions

4/5 (1 Reviews) MSRP : $1900.00

Submitted by highcurrent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
First I like to say that I am a very picky individual.
I have been looking for an HDtv for some years now but, have been putting it off 'til NOW! YEAAAH BABY!!! Out of all the TV's that I saw and spent sometime comparing the differences, I found that I really liked the Sony's and the Panasonic's in the $1900 price range. The Samsungs colors appeared too vivid for my taste aswell as the Sharps, LGs and Toshibas. But the Sony's were stunning. Sony and Panasonic has the most natural contrast and natural color saturation I've seen. The skin tones look natural not overly saturated and the contrast also looks natural and not like a viewing a comic book. But, the main reason I chose the Panasonic 50g10 besides the $$$, is that I enjoyed looking at the tv. The Sony's KDL-52V5100 are so bright that for me, it can be difficult to look at. I would imagine it can be adjusted. Also, the Sony felt as if I were watching a Soap opera (due to the 120hz and 240hz motionflow). I just didn't enjoy watching it. The Panasonic's sharpness and color saturation are just "lucious". The BLACKS, wow! The Blacks. Did I mention the BLACKS.
The Best way I can describe the blacks are as follows; say we use a scale from 0% to 100% (100% representing the deepest blacks). Most of the HDTV's out there produce a 65% to 75% blacks. For me The Panasonic produces about an 85% vs the Sony KDL-52V5100 around an 75%.

Now, if I had to complain, I would say that I wish there was a bit more control on the contrast. Especially in the midrange area.
The setting that I prefer is the Game Mode, but slightly tweaked.
The THX setting is too bland for my taste. True you can see the the grays better but it's still a very bland way of watching the television especially, knowing that it can look much, much better.

Matched with Fios cable, a good Blu-ray player and an awesome hometheater why would I bother leaving the house:)... Oh yeah, got to get back to work. how else am I gonna pay for all this stuff?!

Note (most of the stores do not display these plasma tv's to their full potential)

Product model year:   2009