Hitachi 42HDT51 Flat Panel Televisions

• High-Efficiency Panel Technology
  • VirtualHD 1080p Video Processor

Submitted by MAB a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the 42HTD52 42" Plasma. I originally bought a Panasonic 42" plasma, however the screen had a manufacturer defect and so I opted to return it for the Hitachi. Overall I was initially satisfied with the tv with the exception of the black level, which was poor although an inherent problem with these types of tvs.

After owning the tv for around two months and watching a fair amount of college and nfl football, the tv began to develop a permanent marking from the ESPN logo that you find while watching any of their stations. Needless to say I was completely pissed, since I know I hadn't watched enough ESPN to warrant the problem, though I was aware it is a risk with plasma tv's. I'd taken every step and all the care necessary to avoid such an issue, and if watching a few football games every weekend results in this (even with the contrast settings set to around 30%), I wasn't about to risk keeping the tv and have further problems down the road.

Back the tv went and I ended up ponying up even more money for a new Sony XBR 50", but with no risk of burn-in.

Purchased At:   Local retailer