BenQ PDP46W1 Flat Panel Televisions

46"" Plasma Display

Submitted by pathighgate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
This set was a hand-me down, given to me for free from my family. I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for it, otherwise I’d feel quite upset.

The set that sits in the living room is the third version. The first one shipped was DOA, and replaced by the factory. The second one worked fine for about a month, and started developing distracting lines that ran up and down the screen. Likewise, the third one worked great for a month until another line developed. BenQ would not take it back after so many returns,

We may have had the rare bad experience, but the odds of getting three consecutive lemons are so low I can’t help but to think Ben Q just makes crummy displays as a matter of practice.

We’ve gotten used to the line (after a while you just sort of tune it out), and fortunately in over a year of use a second line hasn’t developed.

The picture quality, however, has noticeably degraded over the past year. What was once sharp and clear is now blurry. It doesn’t accept or display any input above S-video. Component inputs cause the TV to lock up and display nothing but black. It’s decent for DVDs, but it’s impossible to get it to play *any* high definition signal.

For the price paid, this counds as one of the worst values I’ve seen on the Internet

Purchased At:   Online