AKAI LCT2701TD 27 in. LCD Television TV/DVD Combo Flat Panel Televisions

1.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by lis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
horrilble combo tv/dvd nice picture, but dvd player quit working after 1 year... couldnt get machine to incert the dvd... nice to see on the wall, nice side dvd player, too bad the whole thing is a waste of money

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by VinceMundo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
Disappointing product! Unit power supply failed after 2 years and 10 months of service, and replacement part is no longer available anywhere, so unit can not be fixed. Fortunately for me Costco honored their replacement policy in place at the time I bought the TV set in February 2006. I contacted their concierge service that instructed me to take it in to a local repair service. The repair service confirmed what I had already deduced by reading reviews online, that parts are no longer available. The concierge service instructed me to return the set to a Costco warehouse and workout a satisfactory deal with the warehouse manager. I did just that, there was no drama involved. As it turned out I got a 32" Vizio 1028p set that is currently selling for $549 as a replacement. Considering I had the original set for two years, and that Costco no longer offeres their generous return policy in place, this was a very fair accomidation.

Submitted by Peter Flagg a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
Same thing for me too. I purchased my AKAI Purchased in March 2006, 27 in wide screen LCD TV w/DVD Player. Screen has many burn spots but didn't matter until I got the flashing Red LD - can't even get my DVD out of the damn thing. Spent 3 months trying to get an answer only to tell me that no repair place or AKAI for that matter created the power supply anymore There is a number for technical support but they too are worthless and non responsive via phone or eMail other than to tell you they will get back to you. The only good thing that came out of this was even though I purchased it in March 2006, it was before Costco put the 2 year limit on electronic purchase returns in 2007 - Costco refunded all my money (I had all the paperwork including the remote, receipts and prints of blogs). If you purchased ( i believe after 2/07) good luck, should just throw it out, or better said out of luck. I'll never buy another AKAI product again. The refund allowed me to buy another flat screen and save $300 bucks on the backend.

Submitted by deebo24 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
Had the same flashing red infrared red light problem that previous reviewer Harry had. Same problem with tryng to get technical assistance via phone (limited hours). They don't address the flashing red light problem in the troubleshooting secton of the manual because they don't want you to know you're up the creek.

Luckily I stumbled accross the fixya web-site. Was able to get very quick and detailed answers from the the online technicians.

The failure is in the SMPS. If you know what you're doing (I'm clueless) it's supposed to be easily removed and replaced. The part can be purchased for $70.00 plus shipping. Because it's such a common failure technicians buy them by the case which causes them to be out of stock.

I was told some of don't even last a year and most will see a major breakdown within 3 years.Fortunately for me the television failed before the two year return deadline Costco now enforces for electronics. I was able to get a full cash refund.

You will need both the product manual and remote to complete the return so make sure to keep all your paperwork.

All the other televisions I ever owned lasted 15-25 years. I was really shocked that eventhough I was buying a lesser priced LCD that it would breakdown so quickly.

Hope this information helps someone else!

Submitted by Harry a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
Purchased the 27 in wide screen LCD TV w/DVD Player a little over a year and 3 months ago. Television screen has 4 burn in spots and cut off today. The infrared button is flashing and I am unable to get the system to respond to manual or remote prompts. There is a number for technical support and advice to contack tech support before contacting the store where purchased, however, the tech support number is only good Monday through Friday, PST. Of course I didn't purchase an extended warranty as I find the additional expense such a waste and often don't get the opportunity to use it. I don't know if there is a significant problem or something minor, The manual is vague in the problem/solution area. Thought I might get on line support/information and that was a bust as well. I know this is not a popular brand but thought I would have gotten more use from this product given the price and manufacturer

High End: