Mitsubishi VS-50805 Rear Projection

4.46/5 (24 Reviews)

50" Screen. Multiple HDTV input flexibility. Progressive Scan Analog Component Video Input. 2nd Generation DiamondDigital Pixel Multiplier™ (DPM2) Technology. Active AV Network System 3. (Also available in 60" and 80")

Submitted by David K. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great TV, I'm sure the HD decoder will come down in price eventually. When I first bought this TV, one of the boards had to be replaced because when turned on I would get a purple distorted screen.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Greg Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
First off,.. buy the DVDO Iscan line doubler. I did, and it dramatically improved the image on this TV. I opted to do this over getting a progressive scan DVD player. It improves the image on everything that I kick it; DSS, DVD, S-VHS.
I have the DTC-100 RCA HDTV satellite and 1080i images look stunning. Some of the images I've seen on HBO and PBS are the best HD images I've seen on any TV. This TV automatically compresses the raster on HDTV sources.It's incredible how RPTV's have improved on their contrast. This TV handles contrast excellently, I can't say that about older or cheaper RPTV's.
Another excellent source is the Sega Dreamcast hooked through a Sega VGA box. The Dreamcast puts out 480P so the graphics are the best i've seen. Even better than PS2.
DVD's are incredible too. Which brings about my one negative. This TV allows you to compress the raster on 480i images, but not on 480P images. So from a progressive source you can't play anamorphic DVD's at their full resolution and compress the raster with the format button to imulate a 16X9 TV.

Purchased At:   Sound Trek

Submitted by Jon Murray a

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
First things first... this is a great set, with only one major design flaw. I am not 100% sure that this flaw is on all of their 50805's, but this is my 3rd set I have seen this on. When in progressive (480p) on the dvd using component inputs, the grey screen displays "rotating" distortion lines that can be seen durring movie playback. My speakers and my rack are all magnetically sheilded, but both my tv and the floor model at the store have this problem. I am convinced that this is a flaw with the tv because I have played 3 different dvd players (mits dd6000, pioneer elite dv-37, and my playstation2) all on this input with a variety of differnt cables (monster, generic, s and component) and it is visable... but only on this input. Meaning if you hook a dvd player with s-video to a different input, the problem is not present. Having said this, the picture is great. I love being able to hook all my components up with ease thanks to the input selection. Even though this tv ships with the picture set to hot as the sun level, even at mid and low temp settings the picture is simply the best available. I have a technician coming (again) to see the tv tomorrow. We will see if they can determine the problem... until then, I am cautiosly pleased with this tv.

Purchased At:   Ken Cranes

Submitted by Daniel Myles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I can only say good things about this TV. I would have bought the WS55805, but I watch to much 4.3 material and i'm willing to wait until they settle on standards and formats. I paid only $2250 so I can't really complain. The overall quality of picture is wonderful on good sources. I can't believe how good it looks with Progressive scan DVD. No, I don't think this is the best TV, Considering the money I spent I think it's the best for the price I paid. I reviewed the Pioneer 510....now that's an HDTV. I'll wait they will get better.
For those of you who buy HDTV now (any brand) You should base your opinion on how your TV displays a good digital input DVD,DTV...not cable and DSS. I do however enjoy DSS on this particular TV, but I may be to forgiving.

Purchased At:   Magnoila HiFI

Submitted by Karl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
First.....Yes I am using DSS and not cable.

No Coax.

I did my homework before picking this TV!

Tried Video Essential with my Samsung DVD 909 using component cables was unable to correctly get brightness/contrast situated. Also, I was unable to get color/Tint set correctly. I am not sure this was due to the fault of the DVD player or the TV.

When listening to sound via the TV I get a buzzing sound. It sounds like the speakers are working too hard. It gets quiter as the speakers are turned down or muted.
Also, on black screens it looks as if someone is shinning a flashlight in certain parts of the screen. Is this normal?

So far I am not real happy with tv.

As mentioned earlier by other reviewers the retail store had A Bug's Life playing on it.

So far I am not happy with this set. It could be the DVD player I am using though. I am also having problems with the store I bought it at, The Home Theater Store. Currently I will not buy further products from them until they clear up issues I have.
Please email me if you want further opinions on this set or the Home Theater Store in Texas.

I give this product 5 stars for Value and 2 stars overall.

I will give it a higer score once I find out the answer to my problems/concerns.

Purchased At:   Home Theater Store