Marantz PV-5470 Rear Projection

Submitted by JEFFREY LONCHER a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
AT FIRST DOING MY HOMEWORK AND LOOKING INTO ALOT OF REAR PROJECTION TV'S I FOUND THIS ONE AT A DEALER BEING SOLD AS DEMO. I FELT IT HAD A GREAT PICTURE, REMOTE A PAIN TO USE AND THE SOUND WAS TERRIBLE. BUT WITH ALL THE EQUIPMENT IN MY SYSTEM I DID NOT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE PICTURE. I ORIGINALLY WAS BUYING THE 60" SET BUT THEY BROKE IT MOVING IT OUT OF THE SHOW ROOM. SO I BOUGHT THE 54" DEMO. THE FIRST COUPLE MONTHS IT SEEMED FINE AND I WAS STILL TWEEKING IT OUT. AFTER THAT IT WAS ALL DOWN HILL. WENT TO THE DEALER THEY GAVE ME A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL, THEY SAID THEY DO NOT WORK ON MARANTZ BIG SCREENS...THIS WENT ON FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS THEN I MOVED TO NC. I WENT TO A HIFI SHOW AND SAW A MARANTZ "BIG WIG" THERE. TOLD HIM MY PROBLEMS AND HE FINALLY INFORMED ME IT WAS MADE BY PHILLIPS AND GAVE ME THE 800 NUMBER. I'VE HAD A REPAIR MAN OUT 3 TIMES WHILE STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND IT IS STILL NOT FIXED CORRECT. THEY WOULD NOT EVEN REPLACE THE TV. I EVEN OFFERED TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE FOR THE NEW MODEL. THEY CHANGED THE CIRCUIT BOARDS TWICE AND SAID THAT WAS ALL THE COULD DO. I STILL USE IT ONLY BECAUSE I CAN NOT AFFORD TO THROW AWAY SOMETHING THAT EXPENSIVE AND START OVER (EVEN THOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO). I AM NOW AFRAID TO BUY ANYTHING BY MARANTZ BECAUSE OF THIS POOR QUALITY TV AND SERVICE. DO I BLAME MARANTZ OR PHILLIPS? SORRY THIS IS NOT MUCH OF A REVIEW, BUT SOMETIMES PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE BEFORE THEY BUY A PRODUCT. GUESS I GOT A LEMON.

Purchased At:   AUDIO CONNECTION VA. BEACH