Hitachi 61SBX01B Rear Projection

- 181 Channel Tuner w/ Auto Programming.
- Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound w/ 2 Built-in Center Speakers.
- 2 Built-In Center Channel Speakers.
- Wireless Sound Delivery System.
- Sub-Woofer Control.
- Plug & Play Interactive Set-Up.
- 60 Watt Bass Reflex Speaker System.
- Advanced Velocity Scan Modulation.

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had previously owned Mitsubishi rear projection televisions exclusively since the mid-80's (they actually were built into lavish wood enclosures with bifold doors then.) A local dealer offered me a demo new Mitsubishi 61" on appraisal so I took him up on it. Had the set for a couple of months and enjoyed it but something was missing. I returned the Mitsubishi and went with the Hitachi instead. Immediately the difference became apparent. Watching the Hitachi is an effortless experience. Like looking out of your window. I'm not a technician but I can honestly say that this is the easiest set to watch that I have ever owned. The remote control is relatively straightforward.
The sound is outstanding with multiple listening modes offered and equalization options which allow the user to further customize the sound. My only criticism thus far is that in mute mode the dialogue is not displayed as is the case with the Mitsubishi, Panasonic, and some other brands I've auditioned (I've had the set only a short time so it's also possible that I simply haven't figured out how to do it.) All in all I'm very pleased. Especially considering the price I was able to get locally. In an analog set this is about as good as it gets.

Atlantic Technology: