Hitachi 50GX49B Rear Projection

50 inch Rear Projection Television - UltraBlack Screen with Surface Diffuser and 1000 Lines Resolution - Digital 3-Line Comb Filter - 24 Watt Speaker System - Dual Tuner Picture-in-Picture

Submitted by Augie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my first big screen tv. I was a little concerned that I would not get as good a picture quality as your typical CRT. The earlier rear projection tv's I had viewed just didn't seem to have nearly as good a picture quality as the standard tv's of the day. Why dish out all that money to watch dvd's, which are supposed to have a much better picture than vhs, when you're going to lose that quality with some big space wasting rear projection piece of junk? This was the attitude I went into the video store with. It didn't take them very long to convince me that the new technology was making some of these big screens have as good a picture (in some cases better) as regular tvs. I still had my doubts, but was willing to take a chance. I had the money and I've always wanted my own big screen. Once we had it in our living room, with the surround sound and dvd set up...WOW! I've been wowing my freinds, and I'm still wowed with the great picture even after nearly 2 years. So the remote isn't so great, and yes if you're at more than a 25 degree angle you lose some quality. Don't sit at such an angle! Contrast is really sharp, greys and blacks are easy to make out, especially in a darkened room. The color never bleeds unless tv reception, VHS or DVD quality is poor and even then it's barely noticable. One of the features ir really like is the ability to set picture contrast for different viewing settings: tv during the day and movies at night then go back and forth to the appropriate setting. only real negative is having to go into video settings to turn off noise reduction every time you watch a DVD to get the best video quality and then turning it back on again for the best tv quality. All in all, a winner.

Purchased At:   Video Only

Submitted by Tao Wu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this baby yesterday. Hook it up and found the picture quality not perfect. So adjusted the convergence, reduced the sharpness a little bit and most importantly, switch to three video cables (for component cable connection). Now boy this TV gives me very clear very real pictures. Both my wife and I just love it!
I don't know how sound is though but I don't care because of my b&w speaker systems.
Remote is also OK because a bulky remote is better than a small one with tiny font on it.
Only one problem found: if you stand up and watch the TV, screen gets noticably darker. But this is a problem of all projection TVs, including those high price HDTVs.
I would recommend this TV to anyone. They are currently sold at low low price of $1300 at amazon.com.

Submitted by Darren Cuccia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great overall quality for the $$ - after shopping around for a few months, I couldnt be happier w/ the quality of audio and video that the tv puts out! While shopping - comparing this tv to the models next to it in the store - it was very apparent that this tv had superior features for the $$ spent - it will be apparent to you as well!

Submitted by Dom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
It's hard to believe your looking at a rear projection TV. A very brilliant and dynamic picture. Sharp and true to life. The audio system is adequate although I have a surround sound system connected to it which gives me more than enough audio output. I've looked at the Toshiba's and the Sony KP-48S65, overall the 50GX49B won hands down. For the price, I put the Hitachi 50GX49B in the same class as all the other more expensive high end models.

Submitted by mike cayen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this PROJECTION TV less than a month ago, but shopped for one for a few months. On viewing this unit on display at a local Audio/video store I knew this was the one for me. Compared to other units in and above it's price range($2995.00tax included), the sound and picture quality of this TV is in my opinion one of the best i've come across. The only disappointment that I have is the remote. It can perform all of the functions on my sony VCR but pause it, and only change the channels on my RCA satelite receiver. Overall it's a small price to pay for the quality of product that you get! If I was going to rate this television on a scale of 1 to 10, this would definitely be a 10+.

BLG CP024: