Nakamichi Dragon
Description: 3 head Cassette deck

Submitted by ampheat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2015

Bottom Line:
Nakamichi Dragon: After having coveted this deck for some time, and having other high-end tape decks like the CR7 and the Revox B215, I just had to dish out top euro for a near mint one.
The main reason for getting it was the automatic azimuth adjustment since I have hundreds of tapes recorded on numerous non Nakamichi decks. I had other decks but had to let them go because of the playback high frequency roll off due to azimuth mis-adjustment. The CR7 has manual azimuth adjustment but I needed the convenience of an automatic system. Hence, enter the beast called the DRAGON

I must say the playback characteristics are amazing by virtue of the NAAC auto azimuth. This coupled with their fine electronics produces the crystal clear sound I have come to love.

However, I do find some shortcomings in the design. First, the tape EQ selector, Dolby setting switches and tape/source buttons are far too small and have no LED lights for quick identification of settings, which would be expected of a high-end cassette deck.
A large section of the front is reserved for the tape calibration of the 3 tape types and channels comprising of no less than18 buttons in all, which look amazing in their design concept but are not as often used as the aforementioned buttons for Dolby and tape selection.

The other factor to consider when buying it is that due to the complexity of its mechanism, it is sure to require servicing one day. So anyone who is interested in this deck must factor that in. Fortunately there are still people who service it like B&W in Europe and others in the US. Cutting corners or confiding repairs to non experienced techs is definitely out of the question here.

Despite this design flaw mentioned above and the inherent cost of repair, I am very satisfied with this fine deck and it is right up there with the REVOX B215 and Nakamichi CR7 in terms of sound quality and am confident that it will bring many years of musical enjoyment.

Submitted by Julian Singha a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
The Nakamichi Dragon can only be called "Amazing". I am using it from about 1990.
It has excellent recording capability and the Play-back is better than CDs. They sound kind of harsh/tizzy/
The NAK gives out a smooth well rounded and full-bodied sound, nothing lacking.

Submitted by Rick Price a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
Best Cassette Deck money can buy. (Nearly equaled by the legendary Pioneer CT-F1250.)

They don't like to be ignored but if you have any intution at all and some white lithium grease you can make ithe transport dead quiet when in operation in about a minute. I've had mine for 10 years and never had a minutes trouble. The Pioneer is "needier" and has to be fooled with pretty regularly to keep it up to snuff....

Submitted by kambujie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
A masterpiece of electronic engineering and functionality.
Its sound is superior to 2005 model hard disck and cd players, it even compete to Sacd and DVD-AUDIO format , and is equal to the best reel to reel tape decks.
Its so enjoyable to play and record with this deck and it is as stable as the best tape decks ,like REVOX B77II .
As the vinyl and the SET amplifiers are the king of the hi-end yet and all the sources and amps are compared to them as a reference standard , and many of the sacd's and DVD-AUDIO and cd's are masterd from this old technology!!! THE ANALOG MASTER TAPES AND LP's.!!!
The sound of the very high priced high-end solid state amps are compared to the old technology of the valve amps( TUBE LIKE SOUND , TUBE WRAMTH ,VALVE VITALITY , TUBE LIKE SMOOTHNESS )
The Dragon also has this spirit and vitality : the analog sound.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by kennethb57 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had my nak dragon for over 20years.It has been a blessing in audio analog tapes better than sterile CD's. I enjoyed it from time to time recording my old record's. I find it can be adjusted to anyone listen ear and can beat cd disc with depth and sound stage from this machine. I have open reel 10.5" reels that I test out my Nak sound but only one thing that bugs me is the parts are slowly being fazed out of production. I will keep this machine around until I die or my house burns down. The sound stage is very wide and detailed in the music to hear everything in that song. The best machine on the market by far!!
I would rather give up my wife than let my Nak go.

Purchased At:   PX-japan