Velodyne Acoustics ULD-15

Submitted by brad1138 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
Got a steal on this, paid $100 and a couple hours of labor (wiring stereo equipment) for this, a Yamaha RX-V995, Adcom GFA-545 and more :) anyway, onto the review. Best sub I have ever heard/used. Fantastic for Surround sound - Literally shakes the walls. Very musical also.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by jwoldhagen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Bottom Line:

I have a ULD15 that I use wilth my A/D/S L1290's. I am using McIntosh MC275 (low) and a McIntosh(high) 240 tube amps to bi-amp the a/d/s. The ULD15 is a great match and fills the bottom end perfectly.

I also have ULD18 in my stand alone theater with all McIntosh equipment, again it is wonderful in this installaton. Stongly recomend the ULD series over some of the new subs that I have heard. For the money ($500 to $850) used they are a great value.
I have take the units to the factory and they have been most helpful in keeping them in order.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by D Cabaniss a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have owned numerous subwoofers in my 35 years of audio history. I just keep coming bacl to Velodyne, particularly the older models. Velodynes newer models, like the SPL series are crap! Shortly out of warrenty mine failed and cost a MINIMUM of $200 for them to look at it!! Forget taking it to a repair shop, they try to get the repair manual from Velodyne and are put out to dry and wait endlessly. I purchased a real nice ULD 15 model, rebraced the cabinet inside and WAM had an excellent sub woofer with it's own 400 wat power amp. II had a Velodyne CT 150.before and it was pretty good as well with a bit more flexability as this one. However the sound from this 1991 ULD model is very defined and articulate- quite honestly the best bass I ever remember experiencing. The outboard amp is set to 85hz but can be upgraded I am told.
So forget their disposable made stuff made today, spring for the much better made vintage Velodyne sub like this one . Old HIFI mag reviewers really loved this sub as well.

Purchased At:   local Internet/ Crai

Submitted by D Cabaniss a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Purchased At:   local Internet/ Crai

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
The constant dilemma of an sub in an 2-channel tube setup is coherence. I have given up numerous times on SET amps simply because I cannot find an *inexpensive* sub to complement the system.

I think the closest I have came to is the REL, which IMHO makes the best subs on earth. My choice, however, is this (old) ULD 15 made by Velodyne.

The cabinet construction is top notch - you just don't see any corner being cut. The servo amp is better than most more expensive sub amps you'd see out there today. The bass is fast, musical and tight, deep with authority. It matches real well with my McIntosh MC240 and the Welborne Lab 300B monoblocks that I own.

Too bad that Velodyne, like NHT, now makes super expensive subs that are not as good (NHT SubTwo is still the fastest, most musicla sub I ever heard - fast enough to integrate seamlessly with ribbon and electrostatic speakers). If you see an Velodyne ULD, check it out. You will be surprised by how the ULD series sub would beat out all those $2K crap sub out there.

Purchased At:   AudioWeb.com