PSB Speakers Stratus Subsonic 3i
Description: 15" 300W Sealed Subwoofer

Submitted by MJW a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Power Amp failed within 2yrs.
PSB is useless in providing the parts to repair the unit.
This company has zero commitment to their products. I expected >2yrs without problems. I was willing to pay to get the unit fixed. The repair shop could not get PSB to provide the parts needed to repair the unit.
I suggest looking at other manufacturers if you're looking for a Company that will support the products they sell.
There's no way I got $600 worth of use out of this POS in the 2yrs it worked.
I'd never buy another PSB speaker.
I fell for their marketing buzz of getting a better speaker value.
Buyer beware - you get what you pay for.

Submitted by Ben a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal on a demo...have been pleased overall. I acknowledge that this is not the sub to end all subs, but it performs very well for what you throw down. Adds a whole new dimension to music and especially HT; I could not go back to my pre-sub days. DD/DTS soundtracks are amazing, wall-shaking, and fantastic. Music playback is also great, especially classical, and well-recorded rock, etc. Those who want true bass to 20 Hz keep looking. This guy bottoms out about 30 Hz, but for me and my current room size, it is plen-ty.
This sub integrates perfectly with my other 5 speakers. Of course they are all PSB's so you would hope they would match. They do! Placement, I found, was not that critical to achieve good results, unlike other subs I've read reviews about. But it is always worth playing with the placement of all your speakers, as it makes a huge difference overall. Also, definitely experiment around with the crossover settings on the sub until you get a nice blend with your main speakers. It took me a while to find the right crossover-frequency to sub-volume combination to suit my taste.

My system:
-Sony DVP-650D using S-video & digital audio outs
-Panasonic 27" Superflat Television
-Panasonic stereo VCR
-Denon AVR-2800 DD/DTS Receiver using preouts to a Hafler P3000 Power Amp (mains only)
-PSB Stratus Silver Mains
-PSB Stratus C5 Center
-PSB Century 500i Surrounds
-PSB Subsonic 3i Powered Sub
-Kimber 4PR Speaker Wire on L/C/R, 12-gauge for surrounds
-Hosa coaxial digital audio cable
-Homemade analog interconnects (Canare StarQuad wire w/Canare gold-plated connectors)
-Vibrapod isolators under DVD player

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Exchange, Evanston, IL

Submitted by Bruce Abar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
This sub was such an improvement from my 12in Energy I could not beleave it. For not much more money, this would be what I would suggest anyone to purchase. You can e mail me for a Canadian supplyer, he will ship anywhere and give you the best price, and with the usa exchange rate, you cant lose. The sub also was very musical compared to the exl12, the exl12 had to work hard to keep up with music, the PSB subsonic had no problems, I no longer have to play 2 channel without a sub, now I use the sub3i for music and Hometheater!

Submitted by Mark Halverson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
My fraternity brothers and I have put this sub through the most rigorous tests known to man. PSB should've hired us to test the fuse and the sub. Actually I have never blown a fuse and the amp is always fine. I am very pleased with this piece. It blends in well with my NHT's so I don't hear where the bass is coming from, but trust me, I can hear the BASS!!!!
I highly recommend this Sub. I took the Pepsi Challenge and was not dissappointed by this Sub. Bought it for $755 from czwhite on Ebay.

Submitted by Paul Waldron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was using a Bose AM10 II system with a passive sub woofer. I purchased the PSB 3i at the reviews I was seeing about PSB. I could'nt be more pleased. The sound it ommits is night and day better than the passive sub I was using. I have actually ordered the PSB Silver i's for the front, the PSB mini's for the rear and the PSB C6 center speaker. I am very very pleased with PSB as a whole. The sound that all of their stratus speakers ommit is phenomenal compared to the competition and the price range.

My setup consists of: