Monitor Audio ASW 210

Submitted by derrickcdh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure how loud and low the previous reviewers play the ASW210, but I've yet to bottom it out. I've tried bass heavy movies at reasonably high volume like U-571, Finding Nemo (in the whale, glass knocking) and so far the ASW210 has handled them very well. No bottoming out, rattling or port noise heard.

Maybe it didn't go infrasonic-low, but the ASW210's specs did indicate that lowest frequency is at 25hz. So, you can't expect it to go much lower than that, right?

Yes, there are many movies that are real sub-killers these days but even with a limit at 25hz, the ASW210 still managed to perform admirably. Bass is fast, tight and well controlled.

The sub has performed very well for both movies and music. One thing is once I got the ASW210, all other speakers suddenly seem to be performing better. Now my movies can go louder and with more clarity and I did not experience fatigue playing at reasonably higher volumes.

The subs build quality is very good. The 2 gold 10" drivers really make this sub a very good looking one too.

I managed to get a pre-owned (only half-a-year old) unit that was in excellent condition at a very good price - so I'm very happy with it.

Purchased At:   Pre-owned

Submitted by Brentis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Like the previous poster stated this sub bottems out on anything too deep and too long. It is fine for music in a medium to small rooom, but other than that I would get a nice 12"-15". I'm currently evaluating the Klipsch RSW15 for my needs.

I've tried 10" subs to retain the "musicality" but they just don't cut it for movies.

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I work at a Monitor Audio dealership and have had 100's of hours with this sub. Let me ask all the other owners of this sub on thing. Have you really put this sub through it's paces? I have bottomed out this sub so many times that I lost count! This sub has a terrible amount of port noise. I'm not talking about extreme volumes either. I have been doing this for many years and am not a kid or a bass head either. This thing is just horrible. Sloppy, muddy and boomy. Tracks like the DTS depth charge scene in U571 will absolutely kill this sub. This thing cuts off at 25HZ! Try running different Dolby labs demo tracks through this thing as well, they will quickly expose the weaknesses it has. Way too lacking for the $1000 price tag.

Purchased At:   Monitor Audio dealer

Submitted by bhooper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm one of those people (guys) that will spend months and months of research before buying any kind of electronics. Not totally anal but with technology changing so fast the research is worth it. I looked and listened to a lot of speaker systems, and subs. I heard the ASW210 with a complete MA compliment of Silver 8i's, 3i bookshelf's. Holy s*&$t these things sounded better then anything I've listened to before. Not having enough moola to buy the whole package, I just got the ASW210 sub, and added into my home stereo-theatre (spelled in UK english since they are British-made). I had an old Yamaha stereo (not AV) receiever and a pair of *really-old* Bose 601 speakers. The ASW210 really boosts new life into even this relic of a system. I now have the Silver 8i's and the sound is just amazing. Once I get an AVR receiver I know I will hear ever greater advances from these puppies. The whole Monitor Silver line is great, top notch quality. The newer Gold line is supposed to be even better (haven't heard them yet) but that also means you can get the silver's at cheaper prices nowadays.

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Peoria,

Submitted by Tony4341 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just purchase this sub after all the good reviews that it got from this site. I am very impress with the power that came from the 2 10" drivers. I have listened to M&K 750, REL Strata III and Velodyne from various local dealers and this MA 210 clearly stood out among them. For the price, this sub is the winner for me.

My system: