Klipsch RSW-10
Description: Reference Series powered subwoofers shatter your expectations for deep, driving bass by playing louder and going deeper than significantly larger designs, creating the most dramatic, intense bass you've ever heard or felt. Designed from the ground up for class-leading, room-filling low-frequency performance, the RSW-10 is sonically, cosmetically and technologically matched to the Reference Series. Low-level inputs that also operate as an LFE input (for compatibility with 5.1 digital sound formats) and an adjustable low-pass crossover allow you to configure the subwoofer to your room's acoustics. The easy-to-reach, side-mounted volume control makes for simple setup and convenient level adjustments between music and movie sources. <BR> The RSW-10 matches a 10" front-firing Cerametallic™ passive radiator and a 10" rear-firing active driver to a 1150-watt BASH® amplifier, generating enormous sound from a surprisingly compact cabinet. It delivers more thundering low bass with greater clarity than much larger subwoofers, and is finished in unobtrusive, durable black vinyl.

Submitted by celiomota a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
The first impression that I had when I opened that box it was that my eyes were contemplating something big. Always when they present you something for advertising means you don't have the security that 100% works until you check it for your own means. This is not the case, here the art unites with the science and they combine to create some of the devices but sophisticated and avant-garde in audio reproduction. The RSW-10 is designed to delight to the most demanding of the audiophiles in the world, it possesses a depth and clarity difficult to find in others of their same condition. I had in my study for several days the RW-10 and frankly it was not what was looking for. This apparatus is manufactured for other purposes different to those of the RSW-10.In advances I can say that the RSW-10 are the most musical of the subwoofers of the series Reference of Klipsch. My first test was with music and I placed my receiver in alone stereo with the front horns and the subwoofer. I put in the cd player the song have you heard of Pat Metheny of the album the road to you live, that was a banquet of perfect sounds that refreshed my auditory palate. I was surprised it with the resolution and clarity that the basses and the drums were reproduced. The voices were so faithful that the exercises of the singers' breathing and their effort could be appreciated with the beginning of each verse, there you could appreciate from the dry blow -off on the 25 HZ frequency until the cymbals and the Hi Hats on high balance not to color the sound neither envelope to act it, neither to saturate it with excesses.
This subwoofer reproduces the sound of the contrabass as if is present the artist playing in front of you in way becomes intimate and with all the realism and the excitement that it bears a live presentation. My surprise arrived at its highest level when I put John Patittucci's imprint" CD and play the song King Kong", that it was the most amazing of the recorded contrabasses that I had never listened. This had been my test CD for the Subs, however the RSW-10 behaved as an entire copy making honor to their creator's name and maintaining a standard of quality and good acting. I could not believe of what my hearings were being witness, there I could until listening the rake of the strings when Patittucci played his contrabass. A minimum movement and the contact of the fingers in the pitch were faithfully reproduced for the delight of my hearings, this was completely incredible!!!
I believe that Klipsch has wanted to introduce a series of Subs but economic and affordable to the public, but not with the same quality and the high level that brought to the world with the RSW series. For those who are not so demanding with the music and they want a subwoofer of middle price level acting in movies and music I can recommend them the RW series. But for those that look for a superbass in the musical frequencies with details and adjusted harmonically, I recommend them the RSW series, specifically the RSW-10, the most musical of the Klipsch Reference Subwoofers .

Purchased At:   Molina & Co.

Submitted by tweinberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the RW 8B Reference Series Subwoofer NOT the 10" version. I purchased this Reference Series 8" version of their subwoofer strictly based on price/performance. Their Cerametallic Reference Series products perform and perform for so much less than comparable products from other vendors.

The RW 8 is only an 8" 200Watt powered sub but it absolutely is an overachiever. In my medium sized room (15 feet wide by 21 feet long) this little sub absolutely dominates when you wish it to, and never booms or gets loose. The bass is tight, accurate, and always under control. Accurate would the the watchword for this product.

In DVD's and in music, once you have the sub set up (location, direction, phase, loudness) it will make you wonder why you ever thought about a 10" or 12 or larger. If all you want is a loud boom boom boom, yeah, bigger subs with more power will give you more. But if accuracy in a jazz band, or vocal arrangement or in a quiet scene in a movie is important to you, this little 8" powerhouse has it all. And has it under control as well.

It completely disappears sonically in the mix with its Klipsch brethren (RB25's, RC35, and Quintet surrounds). Make sure you have an efficient set of mains to go with this sub. It puts out and I am still amazed at how it fills the room. And it fills the room for so much less money than its older brothers.

It take my Velodyne 10" sub and makes it sound slow, mushy, and dated. I have loved my Velodyne for years and will continue to use it in another room in my house. But for accuracy, efficiency, and good looks, the new RW 8 from Klipsch gets my new allegiance.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by TheGreaseMan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are the first real speakers I've ever bought and they sound great. Originally I was going to buy the biggest boombox they had at bestbuy.com (JBL Z630 or something like that) but the people on klipsch.com message boards steered me away from that. I then looked at the Klipsch SB-1's but they looked kind of ugly. Then I saw the Reference Series, wow! I decided to get the biggest one I could afford which was the RB-35. I also bought an Onkyo TX-8511 receiver from Onkyo's website for only $230 with the extended warranty. It really sounds very clear and detailed with the RB-35's. The only problem though is I think I need a subwoofer since these don't make that much bass, but maybe they're not broken in yet. In any case I'm sure a subwoofer would make these sound a lot better. Guess I'll start saving up for an RSW-10.

BTW I want to thank sounddistributors.com for giving me such a good price on these, my local store wanted $699 for them, which I just didn't have.

Purchased At:   www.sounddistributor

Submitted by FarwellKings a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
This RSW-10 was Tweeter's floor model,so it was nice and "broke-in". At first I had trouble setting it up but now everything is just right little bear. Using all Reference series;RCW-5,RC3-II. Yes! that's right ALL In-walls incl.the ceiling surrounds. The mains lacked the needed bass and that's where the RSW-10 Rode in like a dark horse @ a Renaissance party. Had to set all speakers to LARGE and LFE out to BOTH(main/sub). Using the Sub's x-over between 70-100hz. WOW, what a difference that slope rate makes! Very smooth,defined and thunderous Bass. Cranked up during the beginning of ICE AGE when the Glacier falls down-BOOM! Very tight w/Stereo and DVD-Audio. Now know why the experts say to match your Reference series (or any model for that fact). Receiver used:Yamaha RX-V1200 Listening Rm size:15x15. Total Rm Size:15x26. Ceiling:Suspended Tile @ 8'

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Boodah a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just upgraded from the KSW-10 to the RSW-10 since my main speakers are now RF-3 II's and not the Quintets I had before. The difference is like night and day. The KSW-10 was just fine and I never had any complaints about the sound or performance of it, but the RSW-10 is clearly superior in both categories. Everything I threw at it last night it took without batting an eyelash; from Jazz to Techno to Rock to Metal. Throughout all of these it remained clear, responsive and tight. I also fired up a few DVD's and got the same results. I can't stress more how impressed I am with every single Klipsch product I have had the pleasure of owning so far. (Price paid was $1,000 Canadian)

Purchased At:   Stereo 1