JBL S120PII
Description: 12-Inch, 400-watt, Front-Firing Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by johnrich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
Excellent subwoofer. I have two of them one in my home theater and one in a master bedroom. They both demonstrate clean bass that is not boomy or synthetic. Have heard others that come over boomy. Quality built. In the bedroom I have added the JBL speakers in the wall and it is a pleasure to lay back and listen to the JBL sound that radiates with clarity and clean sound. The octives in the bass are reproduced very clearly.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by jonnyd a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
My wife and I are movie buffs. We have a very large room, which opens into the kitchen, and this powered sub does more than what i ever expected. I have friends who own other PWD Subs that where almost twice what i paid and i'm glad i didn't listen to them. i have been unable to get this 12 JBL to distort. I have never maxed it out. So you might want to read other reviewers. I also don't crank music to loud, but for the volume i use (with music) it is more than enough. Now movies we crank up the volume. At times i feel as if i'm sitting in an IMAX. In my opinion you are getting outstanding product for the price.

Purchased At:   B&H Photo

Submitted by irfanh a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased the JBL S120PII after looking at all the rave review and was quite dissappointed in the end. I have a very old 100 watt Kenwood sub (9 year old). I have replaced the speaker with a new Polk and it works great. Since I am setting up a new HT with projection screen I thought I'd need something with more punch (primarily for movies) so I bought this JBL. I used the same position, volume and frequency levels and I can tell you that there is NO punch at all in the JBL. The kenwood sounds just so much more mighty and adds to the impact of watching movies. The marching scence and the fall of Soron in LOTR-PI in the opening of the movie produces amazing bass effects with the kenwood, but with the JBL I could barely feel it. OK, I may not be an audiophile but I can hear what I can. And, I think the cheap/old kenwood just blows away the huge/heavy JBL when it comes to reproducing deep rattling bass.
Am I doing something wrong???

Purchased At:   U-Bid

Submitted by datarush a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
This was the last purchase for my current home theater speaker setup which will remain as is for a while. On the strength of a multi-sub review in Home Theater I decided to look into this sub. Big and heavy, prepare yourself for a wrestling match manuevering it around! It has a lot more at the lower end than my previous subs (they had 10" drivers, though) and I can really feel this one pump it out at times. I could crank the volume higher than I keep it but after all I'm not trying to impress my neighbors. It works well with my Polk speakers, but you're not gonna have image variations from the speakers to sub anyway. This will give any system good LFE. I'm very pleased with this behemoth.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
this sub is awesome. found it at best buy in boston on clearance in the tv section. bought a 4 year bestbuy warrenty with it, so no worrys about playing it too loud. have it hooked up to my onxyo tx-8511 though speaker wire. works fine. there is a hum when nothing is playing but it turns off after a few minutes, and by the time i'm done listening i can't really hear the hum anyways. the 150hz crossover helps my polk rt-35i's with frequencys they can't handle. the sound quality i get with my setup is amazing. it can do just about anything. has more than enough power to make the door frames down the hall rattle at college.

Purchased At:   Flawless Floor Model