Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 8

Submitted by bikdav a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought my Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 8S locally on Craigslist for $40. It didn't look (or act) as though it had seen much use. In other words, it was just short of immaculate. I'm using as the computers audio in my home office. I have a pair of Optimus Pro X55 [Radio Shack] for "satellite" duty. My amp is an old (and pretty tired _ and soon to be replaced) Pioneer AV receiver that has a subwoofer out. I just wanted a subwoofer that would do the job and wasn't expecting much more. As it turns out, the BassCube 8s a really good performer _ better than I expected. It along with the aforementioned satellites and receiver deliver much better sound than any computer speakers that I tried. It's true that this subwoofer has its limits and is no audiophile's dream. But it serves my needs better than I expected.

Submitted by Eman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
This basscube 8 inch sub was part of the movieworks package at Cambridge Soundworks. Initially I was surprised at the loudness and power of this little sub but I must admit to not having owned a separate sub prior to this one since the bose acoustimass bass box does not really qualify. I did compare the two and the Basscube could definitely put out more bass and keep up at higher volumes.

The problem is not the power nor the frquency response but design as I found it to be very boomy and out of control at times. The lack of a phase inverter also did not help so I decided to upgrade to the 10 inch which is definitely tighter and thus does not stand out in combination with the MC300 satellites. For the price its OK and will be loud during explosions etc. but if you want good sound reproduction during music playback I dont recommend it.

Submitted by Stealth_C^ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
The best word to describe this subwoofer is adequate. For the low price you cannot expect incredible results. It does not have huge output, but it is decent. It can get a little muddy, but it is a lot better than what I have heard from some subs.

Submitted by Jeremy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Here's my input on this little titan of a sub. I needed a sub to complement my wharfedale diamond 7.1 in my dorm especially since there is someone on my floor who blasts nonstop rap on a rather decent multimedia system. I have long appreciated CSW for their fine products and great prices. The basscube 8s is no exception. No...its not gonna match up to velodyne or some other high priced sub. But for the price it does its job with flair. it hits hard and low and to my surprise, was quite musical. It is fast and can be tight which is something i was worried about considering it is ported. For the price you can't go wrong. And for you naysayers out there, please keep it real. Buy the product first and stop bashing for the sake of bashing. It is very immature and inconsiderate.

Purchased At:   CSW

Submitted by Vikesguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 8S as part of a full surround set from CSW (MovieWorks 108). Customer service suggested adding the Basscube 6 to my order (about $100 additional) for better music listening. Although I was wary of an upgrade even before trying the speakers, I was assured I could return anything I didn't like. Now installed and thoroughly tested (and enjoyed) the 8S has provided some punch for my small to average size room and the Basscube 6 seamlessly fills the gaps for midrange. Overall, I've been very impressed with the new sound from my system. Based on the reviews I've seen on this site which point out that the 8S has a limited range, this solution appears to work well - and still at a reasonable price.

Purchased At:   CSW