Axiom Speaker Company Epicenter EP-125
Description: 125 Watt 8" aluminum woofer; Freq. Resp. 35-120Hz

Submitted by Abex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hey I don't mean to rain on anyones parade ,but I was wary of buying this sub to begin with.For the $$ a Paradigm or NHT Subonei looked like better value!

One thing anyone buying a sub should aim for is getting as close to 20Hz. as possible.

I also do not buy what one reviewer had to say about having to get this sub because it is the only one that will mesh well with Axes.BS if I ever heard it!

They might make good speaker's ,but there was something lacking in what I have read about it.35Hz. for one.My Bookshelves go to 32Hz. with deep authoritive bass. I know using the test CD's and music.

Oh product Model yr. should be pre 1980 for the price!

Good luck!

Purchased At:   ripper's

Submitted by ciscokid1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
This sub really disapointed me. On rare occasions my review of a product really makes me say "HUH".

First of all the price $380 by the time it shows up to your door. Which places it in the same price competition as:
B&W asw300 $330 (inc tax + discount)
B&W as1 $250 (inc tax + discount)
PSB subzero i $290 delivered
Mission ms700asi $330 delivered
Klipsch ksw 10 $350 delivered

I will tell you I bought all the above except for the klipsch (because I own the ksw 15 $500). When I was done I returned all the subs except for the B&W as1. All the subs were run for whole day before comparison.

The axiom sub was light, suspiciously light. And when I powered it it became clear that the cabinet is made of thin material. This sub is very similar to the Mirage lf100 (that I also reviewed) except turned on its side.

I played mostly stereo music Pink floyd, Pachbel Cannon in D, Creed, Club music and Stereophile test cd 3.

Any music that goes deep at moderate volumes will get the cabinet vibrating more than the speaker itself. And when I crank it up there is definate cuffing going on regardless of their fancy ports. I can not believe how much this sub let me down. I think the clas A/B amp has somthing to do with the horrible harmonics (class A/B sacrifices sound quality at the savings of electricity and components).

Equivalent quality subs at much lower prices are as follows:
Jensen jsp8 for $90 at circuit city or net
AR 108ps for $140 sears

For less money buy the PSB subzero i or the B&W as1 or polk psw250

I was considering buying some Axiom tower speakers...But NOW I am second guessing trying some of their tower speakers??

I waited to write this review until after they refunded my credit card.

Purchased At:   axiom.com

Submitted by rogers54 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a great little sub for small rooms. It is musical and tight. It does not go low enough or get loud enough for larger rooms however. It is a little tricky to get setup right, but once it is dialed in, it sounds really sweet. It is made well even though it is light,(uses a switching power supply saving weight and cost)around 20 lbs. 125 watts seems to be a little on the high side for this amp if they are talking RMS. It has a 8 inch woofer with a cast aluminum speaker basket and aluminum cone. It uses Axiom's special ports to reduce noise. Even though it is new I have run it fairly loud to see if it made any unusual noises and it does not. It stays clean almost to its limit. If you try to get it to play to loud and to deep, it will bottom out however. It just can't repoduce 25 Hz at a high volume level, but is usuable in that range, just way down from 35 Hz. (what do you expect for a 8") Axiom's specs seem to be right on. I verified them using a Sound Level meter and a test tone CD. For its size, it performs well and sounds good. I'm not sure I would say it is a best value in subs like some of their other speakers are for mains however. All in all if you have a small room and need a small footprint sub with clean musical sound down to 35Hz and don't mind spending a little more than for some other brands, you will enjoy it.

Purchased At:   AudioShop

Submitted by ravi singh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
best sub for $300, rivals subs up to $500. has good features, such as low level and high level line inputs, and adjustable crossover frequency.

Purchased At:   axiom factory outlet

Submitted by Robbert Jonhsio a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer has increadbal sound for the price,I have two of them and they shake my pictures of the walls(with movies)Im using these with the M3Tis a great combo soon I plan on buying another set of the M3s(for the fronts as well)A great SUB.

Purchased At:   axiomaudio.com