ACI SV12
Description: DIY 12" subwoofer driver

Submitted by AB3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had decided to build a set of main speakers of sealed design and investigated the various subwoofers available. After reading speaker design books and following several speaker discussion forums I decide that ACI's SV-12 was an excellent selection for a DIY project.

I designed the boxes based on the downloadable program for the SV-12 from ACI. I used a 3rd order aperiodic box with a 250watt amp. The box was built of MDF board with oak faced plywood and solid oak corners. It is a downfiring design.

After running for about 25hrs of breakin, I can say the sub has excellent tight musical sound. It doesn't just sit there making thud, thud, thud, sounds. It replicates low sound with reasonable exactness. I would recommend this speaker to anyone wanting to accomplish a DIY sub with excellent results.

Purchased At:   ACI

Submitted by superking a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I undertook a DIY subproject for my HT. After extensive searching for a suitable driver, ie.- Shiva, NHT, Titanic form PE, I decided on the ACI SV12. It was close to where I live (suprise) and I had a chance to get one on sale (bonus). The construction is top notch with a heavy duty cast frame and gold binding posts. I use the driver in a 3.3 Cubic foot sealed box and am WAY beyond satisfied with the results. IN my opinion this driver is a steal at the $150 tag and the icing on the cake is the support you will find from ACI. They also include a 12 page manual for implementation of the unit with suggestions for application.

Purchased At:   ACI''s Headquarters

Submitted by Serge a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I undertook a DIY subwoofer project about a year ago, and have just now finished. I decided to go with the SV12 after reading reviews in various places, including the LDSG (Loudspeaker Driver selection Guide), a great internet resource (http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/idx.php3). It was a toss-up between this sub and the popular NHT 1259. I decided on the ACI because it was more suited for a vented enclosure. All I can say is that the finished sub has totally blown away my expectations. I coupled the sub to a 300 watt subwoofer amplifier. It sounds great, weather rocking out to some RATM, listning to classical masterpieces, or watching a cool DVD. This sub reaches lows down to 20hz, and reproduces them with stunning clarity. Highly Recommended!

Purchased At:   ACI (Audio Concepts, Inc.)