Polk Audio fx 500 Surround Speakers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Surround Speakers

Submitted by Brooks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I really like these speakers, I think the imaging with my other polks is amazing. The highs really come through in echo's and the high pitched whistle of bullets streaming by. The mid and lows are exceptional for a speaker this small. Usually the surrounds aren't required to produce a lot of punch, but when these ones are called on, they can't quite reproduce quick punchy bass. It is really not that big of a problem, you can't expect the surrond to perform like your main's. But if you want a surrond speaker that can handle even the biggest explosion, opt for the f/x1000. The extra driver helps out a lot, but if you don't have $900 dollars to drop, the f/x500 is a very good surrond chioce.

Purchased At:   335

Submitted by Rob Lowe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well I love My polks, I've got Rt800 CS300 psw140 and fx/500's. All powered by a Rotel RSX-965. These polks can fire a bullet directly behind you or at a 90 degree angle sounds awesome. I use them on the small setting and let the sub handle the below 80hertz. I have no reason to not recommend these to anyone looking to add some depth to their HT.

Submitted by Henry a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
What more can I say that hasn't already been said, about the f/x 500's. One thing I really need to add is that, I won a pair of f/x 500's the first time I entered Polk Audio's web site. I really couldn't believe it, especially since I was trying to figure what rear surround sound speakers I wanted to save up for either the f/x 1000's or the f/x 500's. The f/x 500's really compliments my cs 400 and fully take everything my Denon AVR 5700 has to offer. Even though I have an old pair of Infinity SM 150's they really match well with my cs 400 and f/x 500's. I eventually will get a pair of RT2000P's to complete my HT system.
I have to say again how great these speakers sound and ditto to everything else that was said, and they even sound better when you won them.

Submitted by Tom a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just upgraded from a Polk M5 to the Polk fx 500 as my surround speakers. My main speakers are the Polk RT55. The fx500s compliment the RT55s very nicely. I have my fx500s mounted almost against the ceiling on the back wall. I have heard other surround speakers that struggle to cover the full range of the signal sent to them. The fx500s are a true full range speaker which sound full bodied and very detailed when I use them for music with my Yamaha RX-V995 DSP soundfields. I have to admit that I am using 12 gauge Liberty UltraCap wire to feed the fx500s. For the $475 that I paid for the pair, these are excellent speakers!

Submitted by Ramesh Sanjay Jamal a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just purchased this speakers and I'm real glad I did so. Considered the Definitive Tech range but after listening to the Polks and considering the price, I settled for them. Good dispersion of sound and pretty good overall frequency down to 40hz. The overall sound was close to the Def Tech and even the Paradigm ADP's. Previously I used Paradigms Titan for the rear duty and only now do I realise what I was missing out on. Polks are active when needed. The inclusion of the Bipole and Dipole switch is a good decision making placement of the speakers easy. Thanks to the folks at Polk Audio. By the way, apart from John from Pa who posted a review earlier,if there is anyone else using the speakers, could I just check whether you use it in the Large or Small setting. Oh yes! The construction of the speaker is good too. A good rear speaker and definitely recommended to all.

Polk Audio LSi FX Left / right rear CH speakers @ $500

In order to truly appreciate the high quality images of Blu-ray Disc, the sound performance needs to be upgraded to match the images. Until now, it was difficult to fully enjoy Blu-ray Disc sounds because you had to install and correctly set up the speakers. But with Panasonic, this is no longer ... Read More »