Paradigm Reference ADP-350 Surround Speakers

Reverberant Soundfield Surround: 4-driver, 2-way. Suitable Amplifier Power 15 - 175 watts

Submitted by Tuneman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I thought these surrounds would make a great addition to the rest of my HT set up. The adp350 is more or less a set of 2 mini monitors back to back wired out of phase and with no port. I was a bit weary about using a dipole speaker for the surround speakers, but these speakers added a new Dimension to movies and the effects that take place off screen in the rear of the listener. I was using a set of Bose 301's for the surround, as the direct reflecting gimick added wide soundstage for the rear effects, but when I used the adp350's, I heard the seperation in the soundfield that I was missing before. If properly calibrated, the adp350's disapear in the background and add realism to your DVD's. One of the greatest Attributes of the adp350's is the fact that they are a very musical speaker for being a surround speaker, which could prove to be a very good thing when DVD audio heads into the mainstream. I am currently using a 7.1 set up, with the Mini monitors as the rear surround speakers. It is a seamless match and the fact that the adp350 uses the same drivers as the mini monitor,monitor 5, and monitor 7 makes it a very flexible surround speaker if you are using a monitor series speaker from Paradigm. A wonderfull surround speaker at a fair price. I can't wait to get a DVD audio player and put the adp350's to the test. I suppect they will not fail me..

Submitted by Gerhard Bohn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I picked up the box from the store and I couldn't believe how heavy these were. I thought about buying the 170's, but I wanted the surrounds to match the center (CC-370).
I placed the speakers on the wall about a foot behind the couch and 5 feet from the floor. The speakers have about 3 feet till the end of the wall. I am running the AVR-3801 Denon A/V receiver and the first movie was Gladiator. In one of the opening scenes, there is a battle between the Romans and Germanians. When the Romans are shooting the arrows, I was actually ducking. The sound dispersion was awesome.
Take a look at these speakers. I didn't think dipolar surround were going to be a big add ons, but they are now.

Purchased At:   Soundwaves

Submitted by Stu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews on the 370's and went to find them at a local dealer. They retailed for $625. They did not have any in stock, but they did have the 350's. I compaired the specs between the two speakers. THe only difference was the responce on the 350's were from 40 hz - 18000 hz. THe 370's were 20 hz to 20000 hz. Taking into mind that the human ear can only hear frequencies between 20-20000 hz, rarely do any tracks in both movies and music reach 20 hz, and these speakers are surround speakers, I dicided to buy them on a deal 550 with tax included. My biggest fear was that they would not match my infinity overture 3 fronts and cc3 center. The sounds matches almost exact. The speaker sound is very precise. The speaker also has decent base (uncommon for a surround speaker) The drivers are fast and accurate for sound and movies. Paradigm makes a A++ speaker.

Purchased At:   soundwaves

Submitted by Dan a

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
[This review is for the ADP-370, which has replaced the ADP-350 as of ~10/00. The differences are very minor, primarily improved power handling. Appearance and sound are almost identical to the ADP-350.]

Current System:
Yamaha RX-V596 receiver
Yamaha K-960 cassette recorder
Carver A/D 360 CD changer
Pioneer DV-333 DVD player
Paradigm Monitor 90P mains
Paradigm CC-350 center
Paradigm ADP-370 rears

Two months ago these dipole speakers replaced a pair of 5 year old direct radiating Kef Uni-Q bookshelves that I had been using for rear surrouds and I am very happy with my choice. My primary use of rear surrounds is for DPL when watching TV and video tape (60%), plus some DD/dts when watching DVDs (10%) and music (30%). The soundfield of the ADP-370's is much more enveloping and has notably greater depth than the Kefs they replaced. I am also impressed with their clarity, accurracy and bass response, something I hadn't expected in a dipole speaker of this size. Even at low volume they fill my listening space more than adequetly and are outstanding at normal listening levels.

Another surprise is how musical these speakers are. Previously, I rarely listened to 5 channel stereo music because the Kefs did not merge well with my Paradigm Monitor 90P main speakers or with the mains I had before the -90Ps. However, the -370s are timber matched to the rest of the Monitor line and it makes a world of difference when listening to 5 channel stereo. Also, I believe that the dipole design is better suited for all non-DD/dts sources, such as TV, VHS/SVHS, older movies (even on DVD), etc.

FYI, if your primary use is going to be with DD/dts sources, like DVDs, HDTV, or DBS, then I would recommend a direct radiating speaker (such as the Paradigm Monitor 3) to take full advantage of the capabilites of the DD/dts source.

Submitted by Andrew B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers to complete my home theater. After reading the reviews and deciding on my price budget for speakers, I decided the monitor series from Paradigm was best for me. I already had Mini Monitors, a CC-350, and a PS-8 subwoofer. The speakers are matched perfectly for a wonderfully enveloping soundstage. My Kenwood VR-3080 provides 100 watts to each channel, which is perfect for these speakers.

The dispersed soundfield is perfect for both ProLogic and AC-3 Digital sound. The Di-Polar design is the only way to go I think for that THX style rear soundfield. The speakers are large enough to produce usable bass and the highs are crisp and clean, especially when playing Dolby 5.1 music tracks.

For the price, I don't think these speakers can be beat. Audiophile quality, without the audiophile pricetag!